Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious May 2019 Ontario

Are you marrying to have a baby?

Mary, on September 16, 2018 at 11:07 Posted in Living together 0 14
As I'm getting ready for my marriage, I'm having delima to have a baby in near future or not! Honestly speaking, my fiancé and I are having fun and we have our piece of mind! Nowadays I'm thinking bringing a baby will ruin all the peace and in some cases it might affect the good relationship we had together ( in case of argument between us).
what do you think about it? Do you think having a baby weighing more thank having a calm and romantic relationship with your partner?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Lussierk00@outlook.com, on April 3, 2019 at 01:00
  • Lussierk00@outlook.com
    Curious January 2020 Manitoba
    Lussierk00@outlook.com ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, definitely not. We are getting married because we want to spend our lives together through God's commitment. We do eventually want to have kids, but want to wait a handful of years before trying, since we are still pretty young (will be 22 and 23 when we get married) We really want to spend the first few years of our marriage just exploring the world together and having fun. We also aren't living together yet so it will be nice to live just the two of us in our home before bringing children into the picture. Smiley smile
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married because we love each other. And the fact that there will be no babies in our future (my lady parts dont function) isnt even a second thought
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding is unrelated. We are partners, we’ve talked about both having and more recently not having them. We decided to get married because we want to be. Actually we leaned more towards marriage once we started leaning away from kids for some reason. We don’t think kids would allow us to keep the lifestyle we have and the goals we want to accomplish. Though they seem wonderful, we are still happy just borrowing our niece and nephews. You definitely need to be on the same page. We think we’re ready for anything because we always consider each other in our decisions and we talk through everything without thinking twice even though we know what the other ones answer might be already.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pretty much yes, although we wouldn't get married if we didn't love each other Smiley winking but FH wants to be married before having kids and it makes sense, it's cheaper that way!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely not marrying to have kids, we have talked about it and are on the same page on timeline and what to do if we can not have kids. It sounds like you need to have a discussion about what it is you both are looking for.

• Melissa
    Newbie October 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, we've hoping for a child for years, unsuccessfully. The marriage is unrelated. We had been together for 8 years before being ready for a child and were fully ready to move on to the next stage of our life. If you feel like you haven't gotten the "just us" phase out of your system, why not wait?

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Mary, I think you and your partner need to be on the same page regarding having children and your future. If it is something you both want and have discussed, talk about timing and when you would want to start a family.

For my FH and I, we're both in our 30s and have been together for 8.5 years (9.5 when we get married), and if we happen to get pregnant, it will be a blessing. We're not necessarily trying to conceive right away (I'm currently a student), but if it happens, it happens.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What does your fiance think about having a baby? This is something you need to discuss as a couple and raise any concerns you have. My husband and I both want children, he wanted to wait three years, I wanted to wait one (frankly, due to age. If I was younger, I would be okay waiting a little longer) but we agreed to wait two years. We wanted to enjoy a couple years as a married couple before starting a family. It's different for everyone though. Talk to your fiance, get on the same page. You need to let him know your fears of having a baby. And then, if not already doing so, you need to start birth control to decrease your chances of an accidental pregnancy. There is nothing wrong with waiting to have children until the time is right. There is also nothing wrong with not having children at all, if that is a decision you and your fiance agree on. There is nothing wrong with having a baby right away, if that is what you both want. If you have doubts though, my guess is the time isn't right for you. But, I don't know the whole situation, so all I can advise you to do it talk to your fiance and raise your doubts with him and try to get on the same page regarding children.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Holly - if it's something that you have even a small doubt about then you are not ready for it. We all know people that had "mistakes" and those people HAVE to become ready for it because it's what you do.

Seeing as how you have the upper hand in this, you get to make that call of whether you want to try for a kid or not and if just one of the two of you isn't 100% on board then it will bring those arguments that you are worried about.

I know that for me and my FH we want kids and we would try for them now if it wasn't for the fact that we just bought a house and are in the middle of planning a wedding - no money and no time... plus I want to be able to wear my wedding dress without worry of only fitting into maternity dresses.

And like Stephanie said, me and my FH have talked about it and I will be 22 and he will be 29 when we get married. I want to be done having kids by the same age as her - 36/37 but I want 5 kids... have a kid at 23, 25, 27, 29, 31? (In a perfect world....)

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In addition! My FH and I dont live together yet (religious reasons) so I am going to want him all to myself for a long while before we add another into the mix who fights for our attention ahha!!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance will be 31 and I will be 29 when we get married!! I want to be DONE having kids by 36-37 but I am not in a rush! I agree! Once kids start its ALL about them from that point forward! And I want to be the hot young fun wife for at least a year or 2!! I've told my fiance I need 4 more all inclusive vacations (including 1 trip to disney) before I'm ready to bring life into this world!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Decided to to start a family***
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I have been together for almost 2½ years, and have been engaged for almost a year and a half. We decided to start a fantastic before the wedding which is next June. I am due in November and I honestly couldn't be happier. Our relationship has grown so much stronger since I've become pregnant. My fiance and I have incredible communication so whenever there is a possible issue that may strike and argument it is always easily resolved. Personally I think if you have to question if having kids is worth it or not then you're probably not close to being ready. It should be an easy decision where you know for a fact it will only strengthen your life and relationship and have no doubt that it will do the opposite. Not everyone is ready right away, one of my closest friends just got married a few months ago and they want to wait minimum of 6 years before they even start to discuss it.
    Like Allison said, some prefer to enjoy just the two of you before having a family, others like my fiance and myself are more excited for all the family adventures we will be having soon, we will still have us time but the thought family time is just more appealing to us right now.
    So it really isn't depends on you and your partner and your relationship on if having a baby now is better than later or later rather then sooner.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, you don't have to have a baby right away after getting married if you two don't want to! My parents waited 5+ years before trying to have me.

IMO, it's nice to have some time with just you and your partner after getting married before bringing a baby into the mix. Personally, we'll probably wait a few more years after tying the knot before having kids.

Some couples want to have kids right away after the wedding, which is great! Some couples want to wait a few years, also great! Don't let anyone else make the decision for you two.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics