Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Are you hiring a videographer?

Joey, on October 15, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 29

Will you be including videography in your wedding day? Do you dream of reliving your wedding day for years to come through watching your wedding video? Is videography a priority for you or something you're willing to do without?

Are you hiring a videographer?

Video of Steph & Ash's Wedding by Mirror Image Media

29 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on October 26, 2018 at 22:30
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will not be hiring a videographer, we have an amazing photographer and do not feel its needed.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good idea! If we have any budget left, I will definitely consider it lol.

• Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Videography and photographer are the most important for me!

My videographer was the first vendor we booked actually.

I want to be able to sit at home years to come and relive the moments of our wedding. To look back at it when times get tough and remember that your marriage happened because of this immense love you have for each other, which the video will show for you!

I am so excited to work with her!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won a free videography package when I booked photography with my vendor! So yes!!

• Keshia
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Keshia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No because the reality is how often am I going to sit down and watch the video. I'd prefer pictures.
  • A
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Adele ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It totally depends on you.

For us, it was a "nice to have" but when we looked at pricing of photography alone, we opted out. Plus we thought about how many times we'd watch the video and we probably wouldn't.

My sister on the other hand watches her video all the time, and rarely looks at the photos. So it really depends on if you think you'd enjoy watching it over again or would be happy with just the photos.

Good luck on your decision!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. Totally happy with photos only.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah LOL, i really don't need footage of myself, I just want to see all my friends drunk well wishes and my grandpa crying and my fiance's boss laughing SOOO loud.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Noted. Thanks! I’ll check them out.
    I appreciate the helpful and thoughtful feedback!
    Here I was thinking “why would I want to watch a video of myself?” And then realized that I would LOVE recordings of my parents/loved ones in the future.
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Check out weddingmix. its not like instagram quality but its a nice way to have the memories at least somewhere.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went with a very DIY option, i think we're spending less than $1,500 for a 30 min video. You should check out the service, its called WeddingMix. Obvi, the quality is not the same as a professional but its a pretty decent low budget option if you know you just want to have the video just in case.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can't afford one Smiley sad I'm going to a couple wedding shows between now and our wedding in January... If I won one... or won anything that helped free up some budget, I'd do it in a heartbeat.... *sigh*...

We may set up a camera though just for the ceremony so that we have that recorded.

• Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sure am! Well actually I already have.
    I love the idea of being able to truly relive the emotions and memory of my wedding day!
    I found one of the best in the business and I’m so excited to work with her.
    This way each anniversary we can spend time together drinking champagne and reliving the best day of our life!
    Cant wait for it all!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope, we definitely cannot afford one.

• Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow. Good point.
    I’m a sentimalist so in hindsight it’s a little very idea and we’ll have to rethink the budget.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nop, it's not in our budget. I had a hard time convincing my FH of hiring a photographer lol I can't imagine talking to him about a videographer Smiley xd

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Consider a lower budget DIY service. we have a friend sticking our gift-from-work gopro on a tripod for speeches.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never thought I'd care much for a video until someone mentioned that their grandfather did a wonderful speech at their wedding and passed away a couple years after, and they wish they had a video of the speech. My grandmother passed away rather suddenly 2 years ago and it got me thinking, I really don't know how long anyone else will be around for. There's also studies that show that people have a much deeper connection, and memory of video than photos, and my memory sucks, so I figure I can use all the help I can get to remember the special day!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope, it's not in the budget for us.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, my fiancé and I are skipping a videographer.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not- we don’t have that extra money to throw towards a photographer
  • Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s totally something we can do without and contrary to popular opinion don’t mind if our guests record (on the condition that they share their footage with us).

We recently watched a video of a wedding and thought that other than our children, we would never break out the home movie and share it with others. No shade on anyone who will though! We’ve just decided that we’ll have other ways to remember the day and a videographer is not needed.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to have it, but I would go down the DIY/weddingmix lane in lieu of a professional.

My parents did a videographer in the 80's but wasn't worth it back then. Now with technology I'd say it's more valuable but I don't want to spend $4000+ on it.

My MC is really handy with a camera, he has a DSLR and we would maybe have him film the ceremony, but he's already tasked with MCing lol

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NP. I was pretty frustrated with the process when I thought we couldn't afford what we wanted. I mean, you have to be realistic about the quality of the video you're expecting, but I just wanted a video of the vows, the speeches, grandparents laughing, you know, the stuff that stills aren't really the same for. I think this is a great solution if you have camera-happy guests.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, I will for sure look into this - thank you so much!!

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you have friends that you would trust with a camera, I suggest WeddingMix. It's what we're doing to capture the moment. I think we're getting a short video and a 30 min video (you can upgrade to a longer video if you want) and some cameras for less than $2000. And we both have pretty camera friendly friends who are happy to take care of the actual filming.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really couldn't find a reasonably priced and trustworthy videographer. I was also nervous that with 2 photographers, a third person in our face would really affect the mood. We decided last minute to hire weddingmix, which sends you cameras that your guests can use to film stuff, and then they put together a video for you. Also, you get to keep all your raw footage, if you want it. I'm pretty excited about it. I think if you can make a videographer work in your budget, its 100% worthwhile.

• Alexandra
    Beginner March 2022 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A videographer is definitely something I cant see myself passing on. Who wouldn't want to relive all these amazing moments of a day you spent so much time on planning. You should go with someone who takes pride in their work and has amazing attention to detail and you will not be disappointed. I figure if you want the videographer, spend the money and get the right person to do it for you. They work so hard and are so passionate although its hard to wrap my head around spending that much money, I think in the end it will be $5000 well spent.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is for sure something that I want and will have. Whether I have a professional or not though - that is a different story. I would love to have a pro do my wedding video but I also don't have $4,000 for a little video never mind more for a 5 min. one. If I have to I will set up my own tripod and microphone. Why do they cost so much though????? Like I've taken multi-media in middle school, it is more effort to edit photo's and way easier to cut together a video and add music and up the volume and whatnot. Trust me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics