Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Frequent user September 2020 Ontario

Are Wedding Crasher Plates Necessary?

Elizabeth, on March 12, 2019 at 14:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Should I accommodate dinner for people showing up that didn't RSVP?

I have heard of a few people doing it. Do I NEED to prepared for this scenario? Would it be rude to ask someone to come back after dinner if they showed up without RSVPing?

It bothers the heck out of me that people would show up to something as expensive as a wedding without telling the people planning/paying. Kinda worried it will happen with my fiance's side because he just wanted to post something on his FB wall with the idea that the first 60 to reply would get an invite.

25 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on March 24, 2019 at 20:16
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have extra plates for our vendors that will be there all day and that's it. If a guest shows up without RSVPing they will be asked to leave. It's rude and disrespectful. If you can't even be bothered to take 2 minutes out of your day to email us for the RSVP why should I accommodate you?
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am reminding everyone, some have shown us the curiosity by sending the RSVP even if it's send through on Photo on Texting. But I won't let people showing up later that's not going to happen. What's important is they show you Curiosity on being a good person and being on time. This is why we have a Security Guard one of reasons why. When the place cards are no longer on the table, that's it. I also have a no list with others that aren't on the Wedding invites also. I wish you all the best don't let people walk all over you it's your Special Day.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Um no. If people don't RSVP then you can call them to confirm their attendance just to be safe.. sometimes mail gets lost etc. Anyone who shows up without saying they were shouldn't be staying in my opinion.

you should not have to pay for 'what if'

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely forgot about feeding the vendors! Thanks for reminding me!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have told everyone who hasn’t rsvp’d that if they show up then they will have a place on the floor to sit and also whatever food they bring themselves for dinner. We are not preparing for this because we are not wanting to allow that to happen in anyway.
    We sent out invites 6 months before the wedding, there is no reason for anyone to show up without saying they will be
  • M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you should plan for guests that can't bother to RSVP (my FH and I constantly reminded people about the approaching RSVP deadline 6 weeks out, a month out, 1 week prior, and even calling people the night before... we did make the RSVP deadline 2 weeks before our final meeting with the caterer though). I have never been to a wedding that has run out of food (maybe some of the good stuff, but never all of it!). Having said all this, our caterer is not providing plates (cheaper to get them separate), and we are renting a few extra plates (in case something happens in travel/at the reception). My FH is also convinced that someone will show up that didn't bother to RSVP (which is my biggest pet peeve).

**Don't forget you need to feed some of your vendors (DJ, photographer/s, bartender/s)! They usually write this in the contract, but I've just been confirming with them at our meetings regardless.

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback... both my step-mom and mom have been asking about this scenario (I think they worry stems from the awkward seating situation). I just don't feel like it should be expected of us to pay for dinner for people who couldn't bother to tell us they were coming. Especially if I follow up in the last month leading up to the wedding.

I had seen a few place cards that have said, "Didn't RSVP but showed up anyways," and while I wish I was that petty, I also would rather save the money on plates that may not be used.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I might put something like this on the website lol

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had 1 guest (indicated as 1) and he brought his bf and mother for the reception rudely and had to feed them as my numbers were 75. My husbands brother didn't show up the day of the wedding and called the next day after everyone checked out. He was heading over and was bringing his companion and friends without consulting us in the beginning.

Don't feed the wedding crashers since they weren't invited in the first place and they are not getting a meal on your expense.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to set a few extra seats... maybe.. not sure. I plan to follow up with people who haven't RSVPd to ensure they know we need it to let the venue know exact numbers!

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My future auntie just mentioned the same thing. She was at the venue with me and my fmil, and asked how many extra people I would be planning for. It caught me off guard, as my automatic response NONE! I'm ordering place cards and individualized meals. There won't be any extra spots for uninvited guests!
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You do not have to and should not accommodate for your guests that didn't RSVP. Like everyone else, I agree with Tori and you will have to make those calls.

• Lorraine
    Newbie April 2020 Ontario
    Lorraine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not. I think friendly reminders to RSVP for those that haven't is common. We all get busy and forget things so I would expect there to be several people who don't RSVP by the date you have requested. Accommodating a couple of friendly reminders to RSVP is a nice courtesy. Spending money needlessly on crasher plates isn't required.

• Stephanie
    Devoted September 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah, at my wedding there will be a guest list at the front. If your not on the list the guest will be asked to leave. I dont accept wedding crashers! Why should I pay for them?!?!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha. I wish I had put this on our invitations! Lol. So good
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, 100% this!!!

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This 100% 😂
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Put up a cute sign out front saying something about if you didn’t rsvp you better have a chair,cutlery and plates for yourself or there is a McDonald’s down the road and dancing starts at 7.I will not accommodate those that choose not to RSVP to my big day and have no problem being bitchy about it.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The whole point of the RVSP is to know how many people are coming. I'm not going to have dinner waiting for someone who crashes, in fact this is more my philosophy:

Are Wedding Crasher Plates Necessary? 1

If you don't RVSP, or RVSP no but then show up, supply your own food and chair. If someone wants to wait until the last minute, don't expect me to change my seating chart for you. At that point, come after the food if you're coming at all.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely not. That is what the RSVP is for. IF someone shows up without RSVPing or saying no on their RSVP, they should be turned away. If you are worried about this from certain guests, is there someone you can assign to be your "security guard" on that day? One of bridesmaid has already volunteered for this position (more of a joke then anything else) but I like the idea of knowing shes got our backs should we get crashers.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tori hit the nail on the head.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me it's a hands-down no - I am spending way too much per plate to account for anyone who didn't RSVP or RSVP'd no. I will be calling everyone who doesn't RSVP at all, but if they don't know if they're coming when the day is a month away, they're not getting a meal.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori on this one!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this! I don't think you should pay for additional plates "just in case". What if you don't have anyone crash your wedding? Then you're out potentially hundreds of dollars. If people don't RSVP "yes" and choose to show up anyway, they'll be the ones dealing with the repercussions.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well.... here are my thoughts:

First off, if they don't RSVP at all - you gotta call them and get that answer. If they tell you "they don't know, it may be a last minute thing", tell them that in that case you will have to put them down as a no. This is where you can tell them if they do last minute decide to come then they are to come after supper at _____(insert time here)_____.

If they RSVP as no and then show up - you turn them away. I don't accept that kind of thing. Not cool. This is where the GM can step in and tell them to come back in an hour or two.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics