Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tolu
Frequent user March 2022 Ontario

Anyone team get married anyway?

Tolu, on December 20, 2020 at 21:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Hey Everyone!

So my wedding date is March 25, 2021 in Toronto. Right now with the COVID restrictions, I'm not sure if we'll be able to have our full guest list of 150. We've sent out our save dates but we're waiting to send out the official invite in case things don't get better. If I'm being honest, I really don't want to postpone. My fiance's family are flying in from Edmonton ( about 30ppl) and they've all purchased their tickets. At this point, I'm leaning more towards just going through with is and deal with whatever the numbers will be come March. Any other brides getting married in March, April or May? What are you doing?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 13, 2021 at 13:11
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its a good call you made to postpone though it wasn't what you wanted to do. Covid has set back everyone in different ways of lives. The plan to proceed ahead with the wedding makes sense than to hold back on the excitement of the moment.

Reception celebration can hold off for later as you are reassured your guests will be free to travel and be present. Optimism is what we need to look at these days with the obstacles of the times ahead to face until we get out of this Covid.

• K
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My original wedding of 30 people is set for May 8th 2021. I have deposits down on all my vendors that I wont get back, 2 USA bridesmaids who likely wont be able to come now, and an overbearing mother saying I'm "being too worried about the future and all will be fine by May" (props to my mom for optimism, lol)

We decided we are still getting married May 8th no matter what. We already decided which guests to slash (harsh, but necessary) even though we already sent save the dates. My hope is that I can get my venue's "popup wedding package" for my wedding date or close to it, and book a separate reception at the same venue for a sit down dinner. No dancing/big party. Wedding, dinner, conversation, and go home. It isnt what we wanted, but it's the reality we are in now.
    our hope is that even if indoor dining gets axed again by May, we will still at LEAST have the popup wedding booked (18 guests + couple for wedding and 1hr reception with finger foods). Our wedding party is staying at the hotel on site of our venue and if indoor dining is axed, we will tell everyone to order themselves a nice meal to their hotel room that we will reimburse them for.
    It's really all that we can do given the circumstances. Good luck!!!
  • Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Linda,

Yeah, that's the good thing with the flights. We've decided to postpone until 2022. With the way things are going there's no way anything can happen in March. We are still playing with the idea of having a civil wedding but we might just hold off on everything until next year. Thank you so much for your advice .

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you willing to keep your wedding in BC as opposed to Toronto? The majority of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area is in full lockdown until the new year, with the two remaining regions only allowing a max of 10 people. Like Christiana, I really don't think this will let up before the end of March - we've been in lockdown for three weeks and numbers still continue to climb. And in lockdown, you wouldn't be able to use any venue. You'd have to do it at your own house with a max of 10 people, including your officiant and photographer.

As for your travelling family, can't they get a refund? WestJet went on a huge PR blitz about how they're allowing all fares to get refunded. The federal government also said airlines have to offer refunds if they want any bailout money so hopefully Air Canada follows suit.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations! Yeah you're completely right. We live in BC, I remember things changing often as well. I think I'll spend some time this week coming up with a few different guest lists and plans just so that when the time comes I don't feel overwhelmed or down. It's all about being prepared. Thank you so much!

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally get it. We had our wedding on November 28 in BC and restrictions were changing every week in the month leading up to our wedding. What I found really helped was coming up with a few plans, including worst case scenario (i.e. full lockdown). That way no matter what happened we had a plan. It was still super stressful but made last minute changes a lot easier to deal with.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh! It gives me anxiety to think about everything. Stay positive and stay safe Smiley heart

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Christiana,

Yeah we definitely don't think we'd be able to have 150, so that is fine. We're good with having 50 people if that's what it comes down to. It just the trying to plan without really knowing is giving me anxiety. With his family already having purchased tickets, we'll probably just move forward with a ceremony and figure out the rest later. You're absolutely right though, we have to start thinking of alternatives.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't want to seem negative, but I think you need to accept that unless there is some sort of miracle (and I really mean biblical style miracle like covid disappearing overnight) you will absolutely not be able to have a 150 person wedding in March 2021. Although we have a vaccine now, only frontline workers and vulnerable populations will be vaccinated by then. We won't be seeing signs of herd immunity until the summer or fall at the earliest.

If you're okay with cutting down your guest list considerably and with the possibility of eloping if things don't improve then I say why not go ahead and do it! You can always have a big reception in 2022 with your original guest list when it's safe for everyone.

Again I don't want to come across as negative but I think you need to start coming up with alternative plans so you aren't caught off guard and need to totally replan your wedding at the last minute.

• L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes fingers crossed for you as well. We stopped buying things as well and putting down payments. I'm going crazy thinking of all the things I would have to do if we could proceed with both the ceremony and reception.
  • Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*sigh* I think we'll make our final decision in the new year. Hopefully things would be a bit more clear by then.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Linda,

It is stressful isn't it? I feel like I'm constantly in an unknown state. I stopped putting paying for things just in case. I think we'd most likely go forward with the ceremony, the reception will have to wait. Fingers crossed for you, I hope we both get to have the wedding of our dreams.

• L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm supposed to get married April 30th in Toronto. We're doing the ceremony no matter what. Even if it's just us the minister. We really wanna have everything on one day. Our list is only 50 guest. Watching the news is so stressful. I'm just waiting for the numbers to go down. I definitely know how you feel!
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aawww I hear ya. We were supposed to be Aug.8th of this year.
  • Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what makes it so difficult. Things are literally changing by the hour and I don't even know what to do or how to even feel. A lot of money has been spent on traditional clothes etc. I'm also trying to remain positive about the whole thing. What was your original date?

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good luck hun! Everything is changing day by day so hard to know. We’ve postponed to OCT and we’ll be getting married regardless. Fingers crossed things are better by March for you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics