Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cassandra
Devoted September 2017 Ontario

Anyone getting married in a catholic church? costs..

Cassandra, on June 25, 2017 at 22:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 28
Hello beautifuls,
We are having our ceremony in a Catholic Church and I'm kind of surprised at the costs to be honest.The church is $500 and this includes meeting with the priest & the rehearsal . $300 for the organist, violinist & singer $300 for marriage preparation course & certificate $135 for the marriage license And ontop of that the church obviously expects a donation....I'm wondering how much you girls think is appropriate for a donation?
It's already costing us over $1000 to get married here.
Thanks 😍

28 Comments

Latest activity by Matilda, on September 26, 2023 at 18:08
  • Matilda
    Featured June 2025 Ontario
    Matilda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in the Anglican Church that we attend together weekly and those numbers seem reasonable
  • A
    Quebec
    Anne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have to remember that a wedding is a celebration of a sacrement and that churches are large buildings that require maintenance, there is staff salary, and the priests take time to meet with the couples to prepare for their special day as well as the work that goes on administratively for the proper procedures to be followed for a wedding. There are things that cost far more than what is being described here, a vacation, even to Cuba will end up costing more than a wedding, which is supposed to be one of the most important days in a couple's life. Enjoy the process and think about all the work behind the scene that goes on for a wedding and other sacraments you receive in the church before saying that it is not worth the expense!

• T
    Newbie May 2023 British Columbia
    Tatiane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In Vancouver
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What part of BC?

• T
    Newbie May 2023 British Columbia
    Tatiane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My church didn’t request any payment. It’s donation basis and we got the marriage license at London Drugs. Does someone have a recommendation for singer and pianist for the ceremony? It’s a small parish and I’m having a hard time to find someone. Thanks
  • C
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Cress ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My church is asking for $500, $250 for the organist, $150 for the cantor, $40 bucks for the altar servers, $310 for the marriage prep course, $190 for the marriage license. 🤯 no wonder people are opting out from marrying with the church.
  • Peppy
    Newbie June 2021 Louisiana
    Peppy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know this is years later....but we are having a similar problem. $250 deposit to save the date, an additional $500 for the ceremony, $175 for required engaged couples retreat, $25 for family planning certificate, $200 for marriage prep, totaling $1150. On top of that, they are wanting an additional $825 to have the reception in the church fellowship hall (which is apparently 50% off the regular as a discount.) We have nowhere else we know of to have a reception, which sucks because most of our few guests will be from out-of-state. We cannot afford this, and if it weren't for church requirements for a marriage to be recognized, we would have no problem just getting it done at the city courthouse!

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! We're getting married at a Catholic Basilica in downtown Toronto so we're pretty much seeing the same numbers as you. I think with our specific church, the cost comes from how well-sought after this church is for weddings and they only do 2 weddings a weekend.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! My friend got married in a catholic church, it was a small town one though. Capacity was 300 and they asked for $200, paid for the marriage prep course too. They had the option of using someone for singing and all that but opted out.

I am getting married at Lutheran, capacity is around 200. They ask for donation only and the marriage prep was free. We came to church and had sessions after, so we did donations each time during this. The organist is $200 if we want her.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to ask first, what kind of church is it? Is it a small parish or a cathedral? Main reason being, usually the bigger the church, the more money they ask. That also goes for donation (but don't be pressured by it)

The costs are pretty much on average. As for the donation, every church asks for one regardless of if its a wedding, funeral, or regular mass. Considering you're having a wedding with no mass, I wouldn't worry too much about a hefty donation. I also want to point out, the donation is usually for maintenance or programming, so your altar servers won't get any. So make sure to slide a 20 their way too.

• Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're getting married at a Catholic Churcg next October and they've been very vague so far with what the costs are so this is good to know. We just signed up for the $300 marriage prep in January which I'm pretty excited about, but other than that I wasn't too sure what the costs were going to be. I'm curious if I'd like to bring in my own musicians if that's an option.

Also my biggest question has been... do you have to do a full mass? We're hoping to opt out of communion but didn't know if this was an option.

• A
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    ALICIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SO I'm doing this process now, the church asked for a "donation" of $350. Plus I have to pay for the courses $150.00. i think this is even a bit much considering we are not having a big wedding bc we have a small budget. We are having 22 adults all together.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow! That seems like a lot of money. I would say that you should only donate what you feel comfortable for this "donation/offering" they keep talking about. I agree with Bethany as well that they aren't really doing much other than showing up and that maybe a percentage of your total bill is the best way to go.

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not sure about that. Is the 1000$ your donation??? wow!

• Geody
    Beginner July 2018 Alberta
    Geody ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had to pay $1000 offering just to get married at a Cathedral . Excluding fee for priest ,cantors , musician,marriage preparation course etc . I'm guessing we can claim it for tax purposes on charitable donations no ? .
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They made it so clear that the 500$ was just for meeting with the priest a few times and then the rehearsal. It's so strange that every time they have mentioned this donation... I really don't know what they expect. But a few hundred bucks on top of everything I had to pay to get married there for should be appreciated. I hope.

Thanks Louise Smiley smile

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good Lord. My friend got married in a Catholic church and the donation was $500 for the ceremony, set up, courses and rehearsal.
    I think $150-$200 is reasonable considering how much they are charging you already.
    Usually what you pay is the donation.Good Luck.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I was thinking $200 as well and honestly I think that's generous. Like you just said, it's a half hr ceremony. i think 2 percent is enough for the church. Ps, sounds like your ceremony is going to be beautiful. Violinist, organist, singer, the whole nine yards. And I also like traditional, everything about my wedding is traditional besides the church lol. I am having a religious ceremony even tho it's outdoors. Congrats
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are so right! Thanks for that, Bethany Smiley smile

It's literally just a half hour ceremony. We're not doing a full mass and everything so I really don't know if they take that into consideration. I'm thinking 200-300$ donation...

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's tough.. should you do like a restaurant and tip 15% of your total bill lol? 18% If service is good and 12% if service is bad. I'm not getting married In a church so I don't know what's typical. I know our venue is auto adding 18 percent gratituity to our bill cuz they're catering to a large party. Maybe the church is asking for that but instead of being too forward, they just ask for a voluntary amount donation.
    You could think of it like that and do a percent thing and not a dollar amount. To be honest I think 10 percent or even 5 percent of your already costly bill is more than plenty. Heck do 2 percent. They're not serving you like it's a party, they're more or less just showing up. Let me know what you think.
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is what I want too Smiley smile Always pictured my wedding ceremony in a church. It's a bonus that I'm making the fams happy ontop of it. Just suprised at the costs is all. And how they keep mentioning this donation... I don't want to give something too small.

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 20 guests and We donated 50$ to the Church to do it outside and our Hall is 50$ as well. 90% of our Guests are Family. You have to do what you want not what the Family wants, it's your day, not their day.

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never thought of that hahaha thats probably true

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You donate what you are comfortable with! They can't do care the amount. And....maybe they are charging so much because they need to renovate :p.
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good idea Smiley tongue

I am doing this mostly for our families. I'm not super religious but did always imagine my ceremony in a church.

How much would you donate to the church though?

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wonder why mine charges 500$... it's not even a newly renovated or nice looking church.. oh well.

That being said though, how much would you donate to the church after all those costs?

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know church close to me charges $200 and the organist was extra. Not sure how much though. I wanted to get married in the Catholic church but we needed to get married on the Sunday to accommodate family.
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is the main reason why we went with an outdoor wedding, No extra cost.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics