Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaisha
Super March 2019 Nova Scotia

Anyone else planning through a deployment

Kaisha, on July 23, 2018 at 23:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

My FH is gone for a 6 month deployment and I am on my own to make a lot of the decisions. Anyone else go/going through this? Any advice? I still talk to my FH on a fairly regular basis but I don't just want to talk to him about the wedding. We have made a lot of the major decisions and I speak with my mom regularly as well.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on July 24, 2018 at 22:43
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think not knowing would be harder, I set my date around this deployment. Hopefully he won't have to leave until after or at least after you have made the big decisions. He has a lot of trust in me and knows that if I am not sure about something I will talk it out before going to him.

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, it seems like everyone is on the same page with discussing stuff with my mom/bridesmaids before going to my FH. I have thankfully already been doing this and I have gotten some more helpful tips. Thank you Smiley smile

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FH has a lot of trust in my decisions, he wanted an opinion on the big things like ceremony/reception venues, food, what he wears etc. I already run most things by my mom first and I can go in with a better plan. I really like the idea of 2 questions though, I will definitely need to start doing this. Thank you!

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree its hard finding the right balance between wedding planning and just enjoying other conversations. I have been running a lot of my ideas by my mom or bridesmaids and once I have narrowed everything down then I let my FH know. This saves like half the conversation.

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True I had a list of stuff he needed to be involved in, he was surprisingly opinionated on all aspects though. He knew what decisions he needed to help with though and we got those figured out.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't dealt with deployment but my FH recently applied for RCMP and might be at the Training Depot for 6 months before or after the wedding if he's accepted.

My advice would be similar to the others. Do most of the research with the help of your mom/friends and if you need his opinion on something, ask about the top 2 in a category with BRIEF descriptions of pros/cons of both. I find us ladies are more detailed orientated with the small stuff and your FH would trust your judgement with that sort of thing. I wouldn't bombard him with questions about type of flowers but I would ask about the officiant/DJ etc.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not dealing with deployment, however my advice to you would be, do the ground work/research, confer with your mom, and close friends, and then either just let your fiance know (briefly) about any updates, or if you'd like his opinion, give him your final 2 options on something and ask his opinion/choice. That way you can spend less time talking about it, but he can still be involved.

It's essentially what I do for a lot of stuff with my fiance, and I see him every day... Haha. When it comes to the nitty gritty details, I won't even concern him at all with the small stuff. Just show him a mock-up of decor and say "this is it".

Good luck with your planning, and I hope time flies for you so he's home sooner!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First - thank YOU for your service. Yes, I mean you - not enough people recognise and appreciate the sacrifice of military families. I'm an 'army brat'; I remember my father being gone for 6, 9 or 12 months at a time. Thankfully, I am not planning my wedding through that, but I do understand what you're going through.

Have you guys talked about how much you are both comfortable with you deciding on your own? To limit the amount of 'wedding talk', I would suggest having one or two specific wedding questions to ask each time you talk to him- write them down so you know what they are. Make them the final decision questions (Option A or Option B), that you and your mom have narrowed down together already. That way it limits the amount of time spent on the subject but still lets your future husband be involved. Then spend the rest of the time just catching up.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t have to deal with a deployment but my FH has been working a 3 week out 1 sometimes less week in. So it’s been up to me to plan 90% of the wedding. I get you don’t want to talk about just the wedding but it’s a big day for the both of you that you will put a lot of time, energy, and money into planning.

It gets tricky with them being away but it’s nice you have your mom to help, It’s always nice to bounce ideas off someone
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't go through a deplyment. Though my husband didn't make the major decisions on the most part, i had to take on handle that aspect.

My husband was the same not wanting to talk about the wedding though some things were important to look into 1) his outdfit and trying on and 2) wedding bands.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics