Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

Anyone else freaking out about August?

Sarah, on April 19, 2020 at 13:32 Posted in WeddingWire 0 94
This pandemic is really screwing my plans up.That might sound selfish to many but whatever.I go to work 40 hours a week to provide for my family as an essential service worker so I have a right to be upset.I practice social distancing and spread love wherever I can but my heart is slowly breaking at the thought of postponing the wedding. I’m waiting to hear back from one last vendor about the date and as long as they can accommodate it we will be able to breathe again with a solid backup for our dream wedding day with our dream team vendors.For now I’m putting 98% of the eggs in one basket and praying for this year but the realist in me sees it being delayed and it’s not fair 😢

94 Comments

Latest activity by Eden, on May 1, 2020 at 03:02
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I reached out to my vendors, I might lose one of the deposits with our old photographer but I'm not sure yet. I think it depends on whether or not he is able to rebook the same day. You can always just ask the vendors if it's a possibility to change and see what they say.

• Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hell yeah!! Do it up girl! And if you don't have favours decided yet, the pictures your guests can keep be favours Smiley smile

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can you email your venue? My venue is also closed, but I got a hold of them by email as the event manager from there is working from home and they did everything electronically for me with postponing. Maybe they’re working from home?
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I’m so sorry to hear that I truly hope something positive comes out of this for you guys.
  • M
    Newbie August 2022 New Brunswick
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just sent the official "Unsave the Date" email today. We were scheduled to get married on August 15, 2020 in NB. It may seem too early to decide, but due to the fact that many of our guests are travelling from abroad or from across Canada (including ourselves, we currently live in AB), postponing made the most sense.

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our venue is closed until the end of June, I'm guessing the decision will be made for us by then. Unfortunately my FH isn't flexible with our wedding day in terms of day of the week. So if they come back saying they don't have availability for 2021 we will likely cancel. We postponed once already, a second time double sucks!!!

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you can call and ask to book a back up date.Our venue and vendors were all available for the same date the following year because it falls on a Sunday.I don’t care which day of the week it is as we will be booking off work anyways.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So true!If we have to wait we are booking an actual photo booth and possibly a videographer both of these were not in the budget for this year.
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Keclie!! Thank you so much for your words, I couldn't agree more. I think I'm just still having a hard time learning to accept that our wedding will have to wait another year. I was honestly so excited about everything for this summer and to marry the love of my life! I've had a horrible life and past and my fiancé truly saved me, and this wedding and marriage is to symbolize a new beginning... Even for other life goals, we were planning to try for a baby next year... but that won't change anything. Our love endures and we will have a beautiful future together!

For plan B, I've always wanted a summer wedding, so if we do have to postpone, it'll most likely be next year regardless. I just feel like 2020 is a write off in general. I've already contacted all of our vendors and they are being extremely accommodating!

But yes, we have to keep positive in all of this! We will have the weddings we dreamed of and it will be a magical day Smiley heart

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey girl! Yes that is definitely a silver lining to all of this! Another year to plan for an even better magical wedding, and to get things that we may have been struggling with because of costs and putting it on our "maybe / if we can afford" list. Were you guys the one who made the call on postponing or your venue reached out to you guys? I just hope our venue wont penalize us if we're the ones who make the call because they're taking this case by case, month by month. I was just so excited for this summer, especially for our honeymoon and this crap had to happen. But again, silver lining! More time to save and plan an even better honeymoon for next year!

Smiley heart

• Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours is now closed until end of June (as of right now), but will definitely getting in touch as soon as I can. My fear is we will have no dates available now for 2021!

• Jessica
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Talk to your venue! They may be able to help with dates/suggest a better date for you Smiley smile
    All my vendors have been super accommodating as they’re talking to pretty much all their 2020 brides. If you plan to postpone to 2021, now is the time! Things are getting booked fast due to 2020 postponements and new 2021 brides
  • Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your response. We had postponed our May wedding but that was last minute I felt. Unfortunately we didn’t postpone far enough I think so I’m trying to gage when to do it again.
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I was thinking of doing that too! But my fiancé’s brother got engaged after us and they’re having theirs in August 2021 (they’re both each other’s best mans hahah) so we wouldn’t be able to do it in August Smiley sad
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Beatriz!
    Our original date was supposed to be August 29 2020 and we decided to postpone April 10th (that’s when we sent out a memo to friends and family).
    We postponed early because my bridal shower got cancelled due to covid, as well as our stag and doe, and with the not knowing of when social distancing will be lifted/how events will be affected, we postponed. Even if we’d be able to have the wedding, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to have my bridal shower or we’d be able to have the stag and doe or our bachelorette/bachelor parties and obviously didn’t want miss out on those things, so postponing for us was the best decision. We also have family coming from out of town and wanted to make sure they’d be able to there.It honestly depends on your own situation and how you feel certain things will be affected - it’s not an easy thing to go through.. but at least we’ll still get to have the wedding we planned and it’ll be that much more special when we say “I do”!
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We just moved our August 21, 2020 date to August 21, 2021. It sucks but in the end we feel like it was the right decision. It can give you time to get excited about it again, and you can have it the way you envisioned (unless your vision was a wedding of less than 5-10 people, as there may still be restrictions then). I have actually enjoyed the re-planning process, but I am lucky that my details were not too hard to reschedule, although I did lose one deposit. A lot of 2021 dates are already getting booked, I had multiple officiants tell me they were booked until I found the one we are going with, so if you leave it too long it will be much harder to reschedule. I still understand though, you don't want to reschedule and then "what if by August everything is back to normal and I didn't even have to reschedule?". That was my fear, but chances are things will unfortunately not be back to some sense of normalcy for some time. Lots of people who already rescheduled out by just a few months are now realizing it might have not been far enough, so you don't want to reschedule twice. Try to look at the positives, maybe if you wait another year you will be able to afford something you originally couldn't have? I have a friend who is still getting married on her June date but having the party next year because she wants to live with her fiance in the meantime. My fiance and I already live together so us waiting another year wasn't as big of an issue for us.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Vanny! I second Veronica - it may be a good idea to pull the plug on your original date. Not to beat a dead horse, but the chances this situation will adequately resolve itself in the next 3 months are slim to none. You’ve already been robbed of so many special moments, and further Covid-related disruptions are pretty much a certainty if you do go forward as planned (e.g. reduced guest count, awkward physical distancing measures at the wedding, travel issues, general guest anxiety about participating in large gathering, etc.). It sounds like you already know in your heart that this is the best decision for you and your fiancé!

Since I made the call to postpone my August wedding until 2021, the relief and joy of “having my wedding back” has honesty outweighed the disappointment at having to wait another year. I’m hopeful you’ll experience similar feelings if you do choose to postpone!
    Anyway - what do you have in mind for a possible plan B? Have you spoken with your venue about alternate dates next summer? Are they being understanding? Keep us posted!! And yes - let’s keep our eyes on the prize. All of us in this boat will eventually have beautiful weddings. 💕
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're not forcing your opinion at all babes! I need all the advice I can get!! Honestly girl I can't even count how many times I've cried either and I have my random moments when I'm just so down in the dumps about all of this. I really want the whole experience and if we were to postpone it would end up being next year because I've always wanted a summer wedding! We're most likely postponingSmiley cry But we have def thought about the pros of doing so

Thanks for your advice! Smiley heart

we WILL have our big day and have a beautiful future with our hubbys !!!!

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not here to force my opinion on you, just wanted to give advice. If it was in your shoes, I would postpone. We postponed our June wedding. Even with things “opening up” now, health officials have made it pretty clear that even when things are opened up, social distancing with still be in full force. So that’s also something to consider. Plus, like you said, you missed out already on so much, your shower, bachelorette, engagement shoot... it’s devastating, I know, I cried for days if not weeks about everything. Postponing will give you that opportunity to have all those events next year with confidence that they will happen Smiley smile

It’s a really tough decision, and ultimately it is what you are your future husband decide what is best for you two! There is no right or wrong answer here. Like I said, this is only my opinion, I don’t want it to look like I’m forcing my opinion on you, just stating it. As a bride who postponed her own wedding this year that was only 6 weeks prior to yours, I can say that the amount of stress lifted off your shoulders is immense. Wishing you all the best & good luck!
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Advice please! Should we just postpone our August 8 wedding? I already lost out on my shower that was supposed to be happening in June, and my girls were planning my bach. All of our wedding plans and finalizations have been derailed.. our engagement shoot got cancelled .. before all this COVID crap we were planning to give out our invitations in May.. honestly I haven't been excited about anything anymore and my motivation has dropped. I'm not trying to be negative nancy but I really don't see a point in carrying on with our wedding this summer .. I'd rather just wait until next year and enjoy the whole experience with all events leading up to our wedding that we already lost ..plus I feel like this year is a write off for travelling so there goes our honeymoon

• Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Jessica, just curious when did you actually decide to postpone? Was it three months prior? We were forced to postpone our May wedding when all of this started. We likely postponed far enough so I am wondering how far in advance should I be looking to pull the plug.... thanks!
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe that sucks girl.Same wedding date planned but sticking to it regardless of the year it’s August 29th 2020 or 2021 my shower was supposed to be yesterday as well so it sucks for sure.
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I postponed from August 29 2020 to July 9th 2021. I feel you girl, I struggled so much.. but in the end I feel we made the best decision. My bridal shower was supposed to be yesterday, plus we had a stag and doe planned for June 6, plus the bachelor/bachelorette parties - we were scared we'd have to cancel all festivities leading up to the wedding and didn't want to miss out on them.

It was a VERY hard decision, and still is very bittersweet, but it will be worth it.

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohhhh gotcha!
  • Amber
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its been crazy town with all this going on. We are thinking of going somewhere like Nashville or rent a house in Aruba for a Bachelorette with all the brides to be. Having a destination Bachelorette i think would make it special for all the brides. Especially with everyone itching to get away, it might juts work out. I'm a teacher and so is my twin so summer (July/ Aug) just works better for us both.

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg I don’t think I could handle the added stress of multiple weddings in a short period.Have you looked into a spring or late summer wedding?How about doing one wild as hell bachelorette party with all of the brides to be?Make a weekend out of it doing something each one of you wanted to do but maybe hire a photographer for each activity?
  • Amber
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gurl I hear you! My MOH is my twin sister and we were both suppose to be getting married this year (me July 2020 and her Aug 2020) and tried to plan it out so we would each have our own special day considering we have the same family and friends attending. Trying to reschedule two weddings in 2021 hasn't been easy, not to mention two of out other friends were already scheduled to get married in the summer of 2021. Trying to reschedule around our friends with only 8 weekends in the summer has been brutal. It gets so tricky with planning showers and bachelorettes. It's been a hot mess! But it is what it is and I hope it will all work out. Good luck to you.

Amber

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like she doesn’t want you to out shine her..I suggest you shine bright like a diamond and have fun doing it 💎🤣This is probably the number one reason I’m only friends with females who I consider family lol.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Here’s hoping for a little bit of magic for each of us when it comes to our wedding days.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah we're in the same boat Smiley sad Im almost pretty certain its' not going to happen this year but here's to hoping anyway. We're waiting till June to make a final decision but I know here in Ontario Ford is going to be making an announcment this coming week regarding restrictions and opening Ontario again.. not saying it'll be soon but I guess that conversation is going to have to happen regardless. Smiley sad Fingers crossed for you girl!

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea agree 2021 brides have to share with 2020 brides now and a lot of us already paid deposits for vendors
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If covid 19 ruins my wedding plans for 2020 we are doing the exact date for 2021.As for the friend I would ignore her pettiness and get married when you feel is the right time after all your wedding was supposed to come first.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics