Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious August 2021 Alberta

Anyone else feeling this way?

Megan, on November 23, 2020 at 15:50 Posted in Before the wedding 5 54

I don't know about you guys but I feel really discouraged about wedding planning. We have it planned for next summer and we are going to get married regardless of limitations but I just am a bit sad that the 'wedding planning' isn't how I imagined (fun times with girls going to bridal expos ect.)

I know its self centered but just feeling low about it. Keep booking things and thinking "hopefully this actually works out"

54 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on May 27, 2021 at 13:00
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

GUYS as of right now I AM SO HOPEFUL FOR OUR WEDDING! Alberta is planning on being "open" this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it!

its so frustrating! only good thing to come of it is the extended family I didn't really want there is now super understanding about why I can't invite them! haha.

but I am so hopeful we can have 50 ppl with the way vaccinations are going in alberta!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding Jennifer! I know it will be beautiful no matter what.

We can survive!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would be really hopeful Kelsey, things are looking up. My Fiance at least in Alberta but June everyone who wants a vaccine will have their first dose by end of June, so this is good news! I hope you can have all the fun events that come with a wedding! And congrats on the engagement!

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree. I want to have a the normal experiences of going to bridal shows, have a shower, Bachelorette party, etc. I'm even a bit sad we couldn't immediately have an engagement party with everyone over when it happened (Feb 2021). We set our date for 2022 in hopes things will change between now and then and that in the time between we will be able to do more of the normal things closer to that time
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Man I couldn’t agree more. Like, we’ve reduced our guest list to 1/3 of our original list, no extended family coming this year. Masks probably required in August still and so much uncertainty.

We’ve made so many compromises already which I’ve been fine with but all the fun pre-wedding events with mom and the bridesmaids has been nonexistent. My bridesmaids haven’t met, we didn’t get to really enjoy the wedding dress shopping, no engagement party, no bridal shower, no bachelorette, no trying on bridesmaid dresses as a group. My bridesmaids are all in different cities too, as well as my mom and I. I can’t even really see one of them for a nice day.
    I’m very grateful for all the good in our life but I’ve never had a really close group of girlfriends and I was really hoping our wedding would be the start of that. Feels like there’s no end in site in Ontario with how poorly we’ve managed the pandemic. Here’s hoping.
  • Jordan
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Jordan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been feeling the same way. I got engaged at the end of November and the excitement and celebration has been so lacking because we can’t celebrate with our friends and family. I always imagined a party with everyone I love to celebrate our engagement and it’s hard to have to give that up. I’m trying to be positive that things will get better and are progressing but of course we all want to be able to be a bride and have the entire experience. I definitely feel you there! I hope things turn around so we can all enjoy our engagements and weddings!
  • Natalie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At a time like this, it's easy to forget that we are doing our best. We have no control over this pandemic and the outcome as well as the restrictions. It's important to remember that we can only do what we can, and not to beat ourselves up for the rest. It sucks 100%!!!! And your feelings are valid 100%!!! Personally, I'm just not reading any news for a while. It's good to feel optimistic and look ahead.

• Nareefa
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Nareefa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was supposed to get married in 2019. Moved it to Sept 2020 so that I can have enough money saved by then to have my dream wedding. Now it's postponed to Sept 2021. It's so depressing even thinking about it. I don't even want to talk about this anymore. I absolutely hate covid and I feel that it's not fair that I got robbed of my once in a lifetime experience. I know there's still a lot in life I should be thankful for and there's more things that matters more than a stupid wedding but I can't help it. A wave of sadness takes over whenever I think about this.
  • Anah
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right??? I know! It gets on my nerves.

• B
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Belinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the same way. I feel like no matter what I do, its going to be wrong and either not what I really want or too risky and dangerous or possibly not allowed if the rules here change again suddenly on short notice. This is supposed to be a happy time and anything related to trying to plan (I mean anything) just makes me feel sad right now. Your feelings are valid and it isnt self centered to be disappointed that this isnt what you dreamed it would be.
  • Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I absolutely hear you! We were married on October 10th and it was stupid stressful, watching the daily government press conferences, hoping we were doing the right thing by proceeding with our wedding. We were terrified anyone would fall ill at our celebration!

We had to change venues for both the wedding and reception, cut our guest list in half. Everything that you are experiencing. I was getting bitter about the experience. It wasn't fun. It wasn't going to be what I wanted it to be.
    We had to wear masks. We couldn't hug our guests.
    And yet, it was the most incredible day! Our friends and family were happy to celebrate with us, even with the bizarre restrictions. There was so much joy and happiness!
    We might have an open house (nothing formal) next year to celebrate with those who couldn't join us in October. But if that doesn't happen, we don't care.
    Our wedding day was about us and it was perfection. There are things I wish we could have done of course, but the pandemic forced us to work together to have a magical wedding day.
    Don't lose heart! It will be worth the effort and the stress!

• N Lewis
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    N Lewis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with EVERYTHING you said about married friends comments on my wedding. I always think "at least you got to have the wedding you hoped for, with all your people around". In trying to reduce my 50people list and it's the hardest thing to do without offending people.
  • N Lewis
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    N Lewis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the same way. My wedding will be in August 2021, and I have no motivation because I go into analysis paralysis ... Trying to come up with 2 different wedding scenarios based on where society is at by the summer. I haven't celebrated the engagement yet or had an sort of bridal shower cause of the limitations. So it's been a pretty lack lustre experience, which sucks. My married friends say having a very small wedding is the best and they wished the did it..but in my mind I think "easy for you to say..at least you got to have a normal wedding" i feel robbed of the experience. But I don't want to wait to get married.
  • Sam
    Newbie August 2024 Alberta
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you very much! Best wishes to you as well 🥰 and remember even if it can't be right away, it is still going to happen and is worth waiting for if you have to
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough. Best wishes planning and hopefully you can have it sooner then later!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's tough, my fiance says that too, and I know that in the end the important part is marrying him, but the wedding planning stuff I was looking forward too as well and now its mostly just anxiety inducing!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh MAN! talk about a huge bummer. I am sorry to hear that!!!! hopefully you wont have to wait too much longer for the big party after Smiley heart

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so tough!!! but hopefully by the end of next year everything will be (relatively) back to normal! Best wishes Smiley heart

• Rebecca O
    Curious May 2022 Saskatchewan
    Rebecca O ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally understand how you feel! We got engaged in November 2019 then this all started March-ish so I was really down about planning since the numbers changed so much. We moved our wedding to 2022 so it can be closer to how we want it! We only plan on getting married once and we would like it how we want!
  • J
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am feeling the same way! Our original date was this past September, and we moved it to next September but now I am even wondering if it will be normal by then. It's hard because we've been engaged for 5 years already and when we finally set a date and our finances were in order, Covid happened and ruined our dream wedding we had been planning for years. Now we are just hoping to legally marry next year, and have the party at a later date whenever possible. But that is still altered from the dream everyone we love being there for the ceremony!

• Ashes1985Ca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Ashes1985Ca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in the same boat! I’m getting married next September and wedding planning hasn’t been as fun as people say it is. No bridal shows or expos! I feel serious anxiety when I think about wedding planning. My fiancée said we’re getting married with or without everyone around. I have family suppose to fly in for this but I’m not seeing any light in sight.
  • Sam
    Newbie August 2024 Alberta
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't even setting a date until there is an end in sight to all of this, so I totally get it. It makes me nervous knowing how long this could really go on for before we even start really planning... I just got the app to start thinking it through and try and save some conceptual plans lol.
  • Megan
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is for next summer too and it has been so stressful trying to deal with our venue and vendors. We ended up backing out of our venue all together as we know it's not realistic to think we could have 150 people celebrate with us by then, and covid has seriously affected our finances. Instead we opted for a smaller backyard wedding and cut our costs significantly. I know it's not going to be the same experience that most brides in the past have had, but I think we should make the most of what we got and think of the postitives. We get to marry our best friends, we get to make our own unique expierience out of it, lets embrace it!

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that is so rough! but I know your day will be amazing no matter what. Just tough going through it. Congratulations on the wedding!!!

• B
    Newbie July 2021 Alberta
    Betty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100 percent. It's honestly more stressful than exciting with this pandemic. But we are going to elope next year with close family and some friends, instead of having a traditional wedding. It's not exactly what we wanted, but at least we'll save some money I guess.

• Ali
    Newbie December 2020 Ontario
    Ali ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with everything being said - we are getting married next weekend and for like ONE week everything seemed to be going smoothly. Now we have guests backing out every day and are constantly changing floor plans and decor. I’m an event planner by profession so I am used to all the changes but it’s different when it’s your wedding! It’s definitely not the experience I hoped for.
  • E
    Newbie January 2021 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

YES! I feel bad when I talk about my struggles with this feeling. I feel like I'm complaining and being self-centred, but on the other hand I do feel like I'm being a bit robbed of the experience of being a bride. We booked our venue pre-covid, but didn't ask our party until covid had started. Our engagement party was cancelled, we couldn't ask our party in the way we planned, my girls have never even all been in a room together. I have my dress, but we haven't been able to go dress shopping for them (we are all Toronto based, so it's consistently been a hot spot). Only my mom could come for my dress shopping, at one store we weren't allowed to even touch anything and I was limited to how many I could try on. I'm not one to like the center of attention, but none of it is what I had pictured. It just makes me a little sad sometimes.

• Kat
    Newbie September 2021 New Brunswick
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am feeling the exact same way. You’re not alone here!
  • Brooklyn
    Curious February 2021 Ontario
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

I don't want this kind of a story! or this kind of pictures or anything 'COVID KIND"!!! I am so ready to be done!

• Brooklyn
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with you...

To me the dance is not important, and to be honest the venues not important, if we have to we will do it on our farm with the cows in the background. This is about us and our union and is a intimate moment no matter who is there or where we are.

• Brooklyn
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

YOU ARE MORE THAN DEFINATELY NOT ALONE! I am having the same struggle and find myself more in tears than having fun!

• Laura
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm on board with you and all the comments here! We chose our venue but it's really hard for me to want to commit to our vendors not knowing what the future will look like. I feel like a lot of the fun of wedding planning was already muted by the rules and regulations surrounding COVID. When I bought my dress I was only able to have one person with me so I couldn't invite my future MIL or my man of honor.

I'm just trying to be as optimistic as possible and hoping that a vaccine may change things a bit and maybe give us more clarity in the new year. At the end of the day, we all found love and that's a wonderful thing in itself. Stay strong! We're all in this together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics