Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Beginner October 2022 Ontario

Any tips to keeping costs down

Emily, on December 29, 2019 at 17:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
My fiance and I are paying for the wedding ourselves and we want to keep the cost as low as possible. We chose a weekday to get married and I've cut a few other things out like wedding favors and save the dates. Anyone have any budget friendly suggestions or things they are doing?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on January 2, 2020 at 12:26
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Second hand dress or off the rack sales

wedding shows to possibly win free stuff and services

don't be scared to try and haggle

FB wedding groups for decorations

sell your dress after

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Join the wedding marketplace in your area. This time of year there doesn't seem to be a lot but you have all summer this year and next to collect whatever you want from there. Maybe check out a second hand bridal dress shop or a pop up sale. You could have a simple dress with great accessories too. Using a sheet cake and having a small cake is also a great idea if you want to keep that tradition without breaking the bank. Rent a suit rather than buy. Consider a twonie bar. (Not an option for us) I'm doing my own flowers using sola wood flowers. I'll be able to sell them once I'm done too. Anything you buy off marketplace you can try to resell as well. Make sure you know what you want before you buy things!! So often I see that someone regrets buying something they didn't need.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are honestly so many ways to keep costs down.

Check with your venue to see if they have any preferred vendors. We booked 2 because they were on our venues preferred list and we either got a good discount, or some things thrown in our package for free.

For us our venue's package was all inclusive. We didn't have to worry about buying decor as our venue helped with everything.

We did a smaller cake for just family because dessert was included in our package.

I asked for discounts where I could. I know it may be difficult, but keep track of the actual number of people who show up on the day of. I had 7 no shows, with no heads up... and my venue was nice enough to take off the pricing for 5 people which was more than fair!

Don't be afraid to shop around, and look for cheaper suggestions, cheaper vendors etc.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive been price shopping for every single vendor. asking for deals and discounts as well. tell them what your budget is for x vendor and keep it within that. i also wait for sales to buy decor and have gotten my bouquet from aliexpress.com. it looks something like this and was $25 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32657179715.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1b5c2f0a8mc9BV&algo_pvid=41cba29f-162b-4e55-bf3b-f7b28a89f777&algo_expid=41cba29f-162b-4e55-bf3b-f7b28a89f777-3&btsid=12e3a14a-a7e2-460d-85b0-9802afc4aea2&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_53

i also got my BMs bouqets on there and flower baskets and all kinds of wedding decor. ive been buying it early cuz shipping is slow but its soo cheap

• Emily
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! I hadn't even thought of some of the things you've suggested
  • A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's what I would consider:

1) Skip the cake completely. This is dependent on what your food option is (i.e. many packaged venues serve a dessert course anyways so it's no big deal)
    2) Make all your table numbers yourself. Print them on cardstock paper at home, cut a slit in a wine cork, and pop them in there as a stand

3) Do not purchase your veil (if having one) at a bridal store. They are SO overpriced. Buy used online (Facebook marketplace) and if you want new consider Blanca Veils or another site where you can get one for $40-$70 rather than the $200+ at bridal stores

4) I like Amelia's suggestion of a cocktail type reception: appetizers only.
    5) Do your own music (playlist)

6) Consider doing your own hair/makeup if you want to get really tight with the budget. Or, book an appointment at Sephora/Mac for the day of and you'll pay way less than if you hired a makeup artist

7) Send your invitations via email instead of mailing them. You will save so much and there are great websites like PaperlessPost (I used this for save the dates).

8) Resell your wedding dress after to get some $ back

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Fair enough to not have an open bar and full meals fed as for the cost. Consider rentals or asking friends/family to borrow things they have for the day if that helps. Mason jars can ne made onto great centrerpieces. Print out whatever you can from home printer saving on charge of companies. Thats how i did the welcome package for all our friend/family per room and rental items than to resell after the day.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing a sheet cake for guests with a little round for us to cut. It's cheaper than cupcakes or a tiered cake.
    I'll be making centerpieces and my bouquet out of artificial flowers that we can resell afterwards to make a bit back.
    We're also not feeding people a full meal. Our wedding will be on a Friday evening with apps and cake. We aren't having an open bar either.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics