Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leanne
Beginner April 2024 Ontario

An idea to save money!

Leanne, on February 19, 2022 at 01:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 11
My FH and I have taken envelopes and written from the number 2 to the number 200 (even numbers only) on each envelope and every week we each pick an envelope (two envelopes a week) and put the amount of money on the envelope inside. In about 50 weeks (a little under a year before our wedding) we will have almost 10k saved, by our wedding we should have just over 20k saved. We are planning to restart it everytime we reach the end of the envelopes.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Justin, on March 16, 2022 at 22:32
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ah this is a great idea Leanne. Thank you for sharing. So many ways to try save for projects and plans. I have to add this to my list for hubby and I. We are always trying to get house projects right there instead of planning financially. Haha
  • Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Absolutely! We are planning tonstart over every time we are done filling uo the envelopes!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad you have a savings plan in place. Any method to save money is better than none.

Hopefully after this experience, you keep doing it for other goals. Weddings shouldn't be the only aim for financial comfort Smiley smile

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes we have talked about that.. thinking we might put the lower envelopes in one pile and the higher in another.. we are almost back on track after some personal things came up so hopefully we will be good soon. Plus instead of eating out that we have been terrible for we will put that money to savings and then leave ourselves no choice but to eat at home which will help us to eating better then we have been as well
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're doing two envelopes per week, there is a good probability that a good few weeks will total >$200. Since half of your envelopes are >100, any combination of two envelopes from that pile will shoot you well above $200 that week. Just want to make sure you're aware in case you have weeks where the budget is a bit tighter.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You make the envelope idea a great way to save money knowing how much is in each one. It does make savings a system to put aside for the wedding and to have it ready for the vendors to pay on time. I would create envelopes for vendors in the sense of knowing how much is to be paid on the date or contract basis to know that much is being put into each vendor as your saving each week.

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Highest os 200.. i thonk it just adds a little bit of fin to saving money in a way
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough. On the other hand, there will likely be a few weeks where the number is much higher than $200 and hopefully it doesn't land on the weeks when money is tighter.

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Some weeks we can't always do 200 so this way we can always pick an envelope with a lower amount
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the goal is to save $20K in two years, just curious why you don't just set aside $200 a week? This way you know exactly how much comes out of your cash flow instead of it being an unpredictable amount and a set amount can be set aside automatically via the bank.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a great idea! I think that's a great plan

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics