Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jena
Beginner October 2017 Ontario

Alternatives to walking down the aisle…

Jena, on July 28, 2017 at 17:41 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 24
Hey,I have no desire to walk down the aisle… Since I lost my dad a few years ago I don't see the point in being traditional… Has anyone done or seen alternatives?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on August 24, 2017 at 17:12
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Jena, I'm sorry for your loss! My FH walked his sister down the aisle after their father had passed.

I like the idea of you and your FH coming in from the front of the reception, behind the 'altar'.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could do a "first look" right before the ceremony, then walk in together (or keep the processional but you walk in on your own or with your mom).
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry for your loss Jena. I think the easiest way is to come out from the side of the front of the aisle (where the officiant would be, bypassing it completely. Your bridal party can do the same thing so it will make sense. I've also heard of the bride and groom already being at the altar when people arrive kind of holding them back and letting them come in after your settled.

I've seen layouts of circle ceremonies so maybe all your seats could be arranged in a round instead of having an aisle down the middle.

• Jena
    Jena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow sorry for the late reply.

It's outdoors (weather permitting) at the top of Blue Mountain

Thank you for your input Smiley smile

• Jena
    Jena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds lovely Smiley smile

• Jena
    Jena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the great ideas, I was looking for something different, I don't want to walk down the aisle, because my father is not longer here. Any alternatives to an entrance other that down the isle.

Thanks Smiley smile

• Jena
    Jena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A smoke bomb, that's amazing!

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this idea! Smiley heart Smiley heart

• Jordie
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Jordie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have the first look wedding photos being done then you could always have you and your future husband walk down together. I am not to keen on walking down the aisle either and having someone give me away. I would rather walk down alone or with my future husband.

• Kimberly
    Frequent user December 2023 British Columbia
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've thought long and hard about this for decades as I don't speak to or see my father and have always dreamed of being married. I've always felt the notion of being "given away" by anybody offensive to my sense of independence. I've never felt that I was anyones to give away.....the whole notion kind of bugged me. I decided that I will give myself to my future husband instead. My daughter declared her role immediately upon hearing Phil and I were engaged. She put dibs on maid of honour. So she will have a place in the processional already. It's gonna be awesome!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm walking by myself or may have my daughter walk with me.

• Marissa
    Curious August 2017 British Columbia
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love this haha
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I had 1 cousin who lost both her parents before she was 18 and both of her grandfathers. She had both of her grandmothers walk her down the aisle case and danced with her brother. My other cousin lost her dad about a year before her wedding and had her mom walk her down the aisle. I know you said you didn't want to walk down the aisle but what if there was a way to come in from the side or like someone else said for your FH and his groomsmen to come down the aisle instead.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jena! What does your ceremony space look like? Is it indoors or outdoors?

We got married in a church that had a center aisle as well as aisle on both sides on the pews. My husband and the groomsmen all walked in together single file from the side to line-up front, and didn't process down the center aisle. Depending on your set-up you could do something similar to that!

• Lisa
    Beginner July 2018 British Columbia
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive lost both my parents in the last few years, so I totally get this. We're looking for ideas too.

I did just post this question as well:

https://www.weddingwire.ca/forums/arriving-in-a-canoe--t6881

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Idk if this is your style, but you could do a smoke bomb and appear from behind the alter? Or the much more normal just having everyone up there already option.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You and your fiancé could stand at the front and have everyone else walk to you.

• B
    Newbie August 2017 British Columbia
    Barb ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What if your bridesmaids and groomsmen were at the front then you and your finance walk along the front past the bridesmaids and groomsmen and meet in the middle at the altar at the same time.Or everyone is up there from the start including yourself. You could come out from behind the alter too.

• Jena
    Jena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Everyone,
    Thank you all for your great ideas. I'm just looking for something completely different. I just don't want to walk down the aisle with anyone else but my dad (who passed) so I was looking for a way to make a different type of entrance. No walking down the aisle
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so sorry about your father.I was going to say what Sonja said about having your mother walk you down, I have had a couple friends do that. I've also had a friend who had her grandfather walk her down the aisle if that's a possibility for you.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Would you be opposed to having your mother walk you down the aisle? Since you're not traditional, that might be one alternative. Another idea is not to walk down at all but sit in the first row, then stand up and join your fiancé at the front.

• L
    Devoted September 2017 Saskatchewan
    Lyz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never thought about it, but Jodi seems spit on. I'm so sorry to hear about your father.
    family is a good alternative, if you have children? or if you reverse the role, you could go down first and have your partner walk down to you?
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing Jena. I like Jodi's suggestion of walking down with your fiance. How unique and romantic! You could meet at the entrance and have a "first look" infront of everyone also.
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not seen per say.. but you could always walk with your fiancé down the isle, maybe walk with your bridesmaids or another family member?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics