Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrea
Curious September 2021 Ontario

Alternatives to dancing

Andrea, on August 28, 2018 at 15:48 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
This might be a bit strange, but my FH are not huge partiers (I drink and dance a little, but he is sober and doesn't love dancing). Are there alternative activities we could do after the dinner? We're currently planning on having our wedding in Durham region but haven't booked any vendors yet. I was thinking of lawn games, but we still likely be inside. Thanks!

11 Comments

Latest activity by RayChance, on May 22, 2019 at 23:19
  • RayChance
    Ontario
    RayChance ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have any dancing as our guests are not really drinkers or dancers.

We had a photo wall (not booth) photos were printed out and given as giveaways.

I hired a Mentalist/Illusionist friend of mine to perform a 45 show @ dessert.

We were done by 11:00pm Smiley smile All guests very happy!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were in a very similar situation. We considered replacing the dance for other activities, but ended up keeping it because we couldn't find any good idea and we knew our guests would like it even if we didn't dance ourselves.

And it worked really well. We personally didn't dance much after the first dance, but we just spent this time socializing with the guests who weren't currently dancing. And everyone seemed to be having a blast. In fact, my 87-year-old grandma was still dancing when we left at midnight, and we were told the next day that there were people dancing until 2 am.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love those ideas! We could socialize with our guests while others are enjoying the music.
  • Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds quite fun! I wish we could set up a cheap tent in the backyard but it would be too small.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you have to feel the need to entertain your guests all day! People are great at entertaining themselves. If you don't have a dance, it gives you more time to mingle with your guests at their table. Guests can still get up and talk to other people. Even with a dance, not everyone is on the dance floor all the time, so they are finding something else to do when they aren't dancing.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to an afternoon/outdoor wedding this weekend. they are having a noon ceremony. and their cocktail hour is all outside and they have games set up. giant jenga, bean bag toss, someone doing caricature portraits. then lunch is at 230ish.

so I would look for a venue that gives you the option to have some indoor/outdoor elements.
    at the end of the day. its really up to you and FH what you want.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you the kind of people who enjoy a good brunch? Because you could always do an early wedding and have a wedding breakfast! There’s a lot less dancing, less alcohol and it also usually ends up being cheaper if it’s something you were open too!

If not you could still have a dance floor and some music but you guys could spend your time socializing instead while others dance?

Or you could do the lawn games inside and the shoe game would be fun!
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's strange! We're not doing a dance either... there will be music (courtesy of spotify lol) so I guess if people really feel inclined to dance they can but that's not our thing. We're having our wedding at a pub so it's more of a laid back gathering/party atmosphere. We're just hoping it will be a fun dinner and get together similar to a night out with friends. There's also dart boards were hoping to take advantage of - might be an indoor game option for you.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your FH may not dance but what about your guests? You may still want to have some dancing if people you are inviting enjoy that.

If you really don’t want any dancing maybe have a late morning wedding and then a lunch reception? My sister had her wedding like that and it didn’t seem weird there was no dancing. They had a cocktail hour, lunch and speeches and that was pretty much it.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shoe game is a good idea! He might kill me if we did the hokey pokey LOL
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure do the shoe game! haha, that and you could do a group dance? May I suggest the hokey pokey? lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics