Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Roberta
Newbie September 2018 Manitoba

Alternative ways to raise money for your wedding

Roberta, on March 4, 2018 at 20:28 Posted in Manitoba 2 11
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has been able to raise money for their upcoming nuptials/lives that didn’t include having the Manitoba social. I am not at all a fan of the Manitoba social - even if it were to be planned for me.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Madeoloch, on March 7, 2024 at 06:38
  • Y
    Newbie July 2026 Missouri
    Yann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I totally understand your sentiments about the Manitoba social scene. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's completely okay.

• K
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey! I want to know more about this! What is it called? I tried googling to better understand but couldn’t find anything Smiley sad
  • A
    Newbie November 2020 British Columbia
    AATHIRA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Joey,

I live in Vancouver and my would be lives in India. Usually family supports girls marriage . But i come from a large family and my parents are quiet old. I have four sisters whom my family married off ,but they all are not so rich. I would like to raise some money for my marriage as i cannot get help from family .A large portion will go to my flight tickets to and fro and his own tickets ,I am already past 35 and is already pretty much late. Do you have any idea on how i can raise money for my marriage

• Alexandra
    Newbie August 2019 Manitoba
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My best guess is selling tickets to play various games as well as selling entry tickets. Pretty much having a social but during the day
    Another idea which my dad did many years ago is host a gambling night at a community centre. Make various card and betting games for people to play. Have fun planning!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The card game- its a deck of cards you tape it to a bristle board face down. then people pick a card you write there name on it. At the end when all sold you peel it off and see where the 3 cards you picked were and those people win money. First person usually its 500 second is 250 and third is 100. you can do it anyway you want and then people sell for 20.

• Roberta
    Roberta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What is a day carnival? Sounds fun!
  • Roberta
    Roberta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Becky! I will discuss this with the fiancée and see what he thinks!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could always do a raffle! it goes quiet well and no hassle of a social. Make the fist prize $500 gift card to licore store or cash, the two other prizes for second and third. Some people sell for $10 a ticket or 3 for $25. You could also do the card game where they need to guess certain cards and you sell it for $20 per card. this goes quiet well. I used to work in a camp in Manitoba and saw a lot of people do a few rounds of this.

• Alexandra
    Newbie August 2019 Manitoba
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've heard of couples having a day carnival or if you live in Winnipeg you can have your wedding fundraiser at Rumors! I went to one there - a lot of fun, less work but a great reward! I understand how you feel about socials. Good luck I hope you find some quirky, fun ways to fundraise!
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing the Manitoba Social, I couldn't imagine not doing one and yes they are like a Jack and Jill. Celebrating with all my family and friends. A big party where all your friends and family come out to support you especially after a long cold winter. Its what we do to have fun in small towns out here. We look forward to the next one. I don't believe in the pre-social to me one social is enough. My sister helped her friend do a food sale but you need a food handlers for that and I believe a permit which they did not have. A lot of people do draws like chase the ace but legally you need a permit. Rumors Comedy Club in Winnipeg has a fundraising program you sell tickets for a show and a portion goes towards it. You could also do like Mom's Pantry sale maybe or Bothwell Cheese sale maybe or veseys seeds. Different ideas.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ohh, that's a new term for me, is a Manitoba social the same as a Jack & Jill? Those are fairly commonly done in Canada and the only way I know for raining money for a wedding. If you want budget saving tips we can help you out there,

10 Ways to Avoid Going Over Budget on Your Wedding

Budget Wedding Decor

How to Divvy Up Your Wedding Budget

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics