Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Alternative Desert at a wedding

Vanessa, on December 29, 2017 at 01:01 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hey everyone thought I would share this as it just came up after a visit with my mom and her godmother over the holidays. We have been debating on something cost effective on top of a cutting cake and have almost ruled out cupcakes as it is about $2.00 a cupcake x 250 people on top of our wedding cake. My great Aunt makes these Rossettes which I have been calling "Nothings" for years. Topped with Icing sugar. They are so good! Of course deep fried and so easy to make when you have the right equipment which can be purchased off of amazon. They have different shapes you can get and cost next to "nothing" to make. We are going to experiment with this and keep this tradition alive within our family and if we go with it save about $400.00 doing so. My aunt also told my mom that if they become soft you put them in the oven for a little bit and they become crunchy again.

RossettesAlternative Desert at a wedding 1

13 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on January 3, 2018 at 11:25
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great way to keep within budget and represent your family!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your aunts "nothings" looks great and delic. Its an absolute to have as to all cake. Candy bar on top is good too considering kids will be at the wedding if you are.
  • Ellen
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Ellen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance is lactose-intollerant, and lactose free cake is very expensive, so we will be having a very small cake to cut, and then doing a desert bar (cookies, brownies, candy etc...)

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Those are so good! I am personally not a big fan of cake so we are planning to do a pie bar because who doesn't love pie?
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We make these all the time! Especially at Christmas time! They are delicious! Great idea
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It honestly looks great!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this idea!!!!
  • Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!! My mom is set on doing a candy bar. She does it every year for her large fancy work banquet and it's always a hit. It does kind of double as dessert, doesnt it. Great advice! And show us those rosettes if you remember, I'm curious how they look in color 😊
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi shavon

My FH and I haven't come to a final decision yet but agree cheaper is better as he/we is paying for the majority of it. We were looking at cake pops but because it's an outdoor wedding in August the lady said don't because they will melt. The rosette kits are in the mail so super excited to show my FH this as he's never had one before. We're doing a buffet so there's something for everyone including dessert already. Have you though of a candy bar which could also serve as your take home gift? I've seen this done before many times 😊
  • Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a great idea! They look awesome, I think this kind of treat is original and so smart. I'm having a small wedding, 50-60, and can't get over the cost for wedding cake/cupcakes. And to top it off, we need gluten free/dairy free which ALWAYS costs extra. Did FH have any problems with alternatives? My FH is having trouble coming to terms with some cheaper alternatives, I had even suggested some cupcakes, some cake pops, some other kind of dessert...kind of like a buffet of options. He has said not having enough of each thing for each person is unfair...I disagree though, lol.
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My aunt has and we have our own stuff arriving in the mail in the next week so we will be experimenting. The wedding isn't until August 2018. My aunt even said you can add food colouring to make them the colour of your wedding in my case purple.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They look beautiful! Have you made them before?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cool idea! And it's neat that it's something within your family--makes it extra special!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics