Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan

Alterations timeline.

Brett, on September 24, 2019 at 09:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
I am expecting my dress to come in sometime in December, my wedding is in July. When should I be making an appointment to get quotes for alterations?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on October 7, 2019 at 22:00
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should begin getting quotes ASAP, that way you will be ready with a seamstress when your dress comes in/when you're ready to start alterations.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 months prior to the wedding may be a good start since you will be busy with the Christmas season and the months following unknowing if the dress doesn't fit then. The timeline given will allow you to make any changes knowing if trying to lose the weight.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got my alterations appointment the day my dress came in because they book up super fast!

Ive also already booked my MOHs alterations too.

Im getting married July 18 and I start alterations May 18, next one June 12 and I pick up July 15.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would make the apt right away. get it over and done with and one less thing to worry about!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Once your dress comes in, I'd contact seamstresses and see their availability. I went for my first appt. in July (3 months before) and my second fitting beginning of September (nearly 2 months). My Final fitting will be beginning of October.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not if you know what you need done and it's simple. I knew going into the appointment exactly what I would need done and it doesn't/shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for turn-around time (at least not the people I got quotes from...

I got my straps shortened, waist taken in, boob area reshaped (because of the taking in of the waist), and got the bottom hemmed about an inch.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would for sure, especially because your wedding is during prime wedding season.

As soon as I picked up my dress (last September), I contacted my seamstress, she then told me to email her back in April to set up appointments when she was booking for the summer. This way you are on their radar, and you are not scrambling last minute.

• B
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This seems like a very short time period. Everything I e read says it should take about 3 months from your first alterations appointment to the last. I’m a very indecisive person, so I need time to get quotes, and make my decision on who to go with before the 3 month mark. Just can’t decide how soon to start getting quotes.
  • B
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What I’m trying to figure out is how soon after getting my dresss do I start contacting seamstresses? Like as soon as I get my dress?
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start contacting seamstresses to see what they would say. Mine was super busy so I had 3 appointments between the time I started and the day I picked it up.

I started alterations in June (1 appointment), had one appointment in August to double check everything and then one more in september to make sure everything was ok, and thats when I took the dress home.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't get alterations until roughly 6 weeks till the wedding and I just picked my dress up after alterations this past weekend (at 2 weeks before the wedding). I would say to start getting quotes if you are going to shop around at maybe 8 weeks before the wedding? (depending on how much you are needing done)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics