Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user September 2022 Alberta

Alterations Cost

Rachel, on July 17, 2020 at 19:55 Posted in Wedding fashion 1 16
I started reaching out to seamstresses just to get a general feel for cost. The only person who could give me a quote over the phone quoted me more than my dress cost in the first place (granted, my dress was only $500, but still).

Because my dress has multiple tulle layers, I was quoted $350 just to hem it. Then another $175 to change straps and add cups. So not HORRIBLE, I just wanted to see if anyone else was faced with this issue. Photo of dress for reference.Alterations Cost 1

16 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on August 14, 2021 at 22:19
  • S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where in ontario are you?
  • Darlene
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress is strapless with lots of lace. I have had to have some boing taken out at the hips, and the chest taken in. My dress is 5” too long so I am paying for crinoline 150.00. So I don’t have to spend hoards of money to have it hemmed. The total is 450.
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first dress was similar to this- my seamstress told me that horsehair hem lines take a lot of work especially if asymmetrical. So I can see the prices being a bit higher.
    I had 3 layers of tulle with horsehair- added cups, let out bust and fix straps. It was about $475.
    sadly after all that I won’t be wearing it ☹️
  • Maria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in Ontario, but I had to hem my dress (6 layers), 5 bustle points, open the cleavage area and take in the sides. I paid a little under $400 but my seamstress works from home.

Maybe find someone who works from home as it may be cheaper.

• Chantelle
    British Columbia
    Chantelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a seamstress it is my time. It may seem expensive but it takes alot to do alterations. Honestly I think you look amazing and you got a fair deal for the changes. I normally charge 50/hour and I can tell by the turn around that she was fast. I am on the island, I try to avoid weddings but I would say for the work you got a fair price. Many happy regards

• Sora
    Newbie September 2020 British Columbia
    Sora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oops sorry! Thanks for the reply! Have a great day!
  • Stephanie
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im in Ontario, sorry!
  • Sora
    Newbie September 2020 British Columbia
    Sora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Stephanie could you share who your seamstress is if she’s in greater Vancouver area? Thank you!
  • Stephanie
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought a lace dress with a halter neckline. My alterations came to 250, she sewed the belt onto the dress, changed it from halter to straps, and added cups. I will have a sizing and alterations as needed up until the wedding (im losing weight from my pregnancy) then she will steam clean my dress and I will pick it up just before my big day.
  • Jodi
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I recently picked up my dress and got a rough idea for alterations. Because my hips are larger, we had to order a bigger size to accommodate the hip area. This means the bust, shoulders, back and sides all need to be taken in (keeping in mind that I plan on loosing some weight before next year) as well as the length.

My dress has lots of lace detail and bead work. I've pretty much been quoted about $1,000 at the bridal shop. I live in BC and dress is from AB. Not too sure about having it altered here in my small town, even though it is expensive in AB to have done (at the bridal shop) I'd almost rather pay more and have it done right, but do worry about how much it's going to cost. I do understand the amount of work it's going to be! Not a job I'd want and not a job I'd trust just anybody with...

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine has 5 layers. I also got the buttons replaced, and loose beads and threads tightened (my dress is a sample) plus one side of the bust was taken in. Altogether I paid just under $300.

The texture of your dress might be a factor. Plus there are so many variables. My seamstress runs a small business from her home, and I know ones that are connected to a bridal salon can be much pricier.
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It seems high to me but I'm sure prices depend on where you live as well.

I'm mostly commenting because your dress is beautiful! It looks so flowy and comfortable Smiley smile.
  • Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress was two layers. It was $250 to hem plus a small alteration of removing some fabric around the zipper on the back.

• Allison
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The hemming seems roughly inline with what I would expect. My dress had 4 layers of fabric but they were all straight cut and had no lace or edging to reattach. And it was $225. The straps and cups seem high. Before getting other quotes, price out the fabric you are hoping to replace the straps with (or lace or beading)!and bra cups from a local fabric store, and ask if they can do a lower price if you provide the materials. Some seamstresses will. To replace your straps with anything other than spaghetti straps, they probably have to take apart the top of the bodice and resew all those pleats. So it can add up to more work than you might think. But ya, they usually want to see it in person because all dresses are built differently so taking them and apart and putting them back together isn’t as easy as we think sometimes.
  • Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! It's actually a terani couture prom dress, I just contacted the designer to order it in white, which is probably why it was so affordable Smiley smile A lot of the seamstresses want to see the dress in person so comparing quotes has been a bit difficult
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I cant suggest anything that you havent tried yet (local seamstress shops, etc) but I have to say I love that dress! If its an Eddy K I tried it on too but it was $$$ - great find! Maybe ask around on a FB wedding group for your area?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics