Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alison
Newbie April 2025 Ontario

aita for not having a second small celebration for out of town guests?

Alison, on August 27, 2024 at 11:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 3

This is the second wedding for both me and my fiance. I just found out that my side had a discussion behind my back about how it was too expensive for them to come (they live 4 hours drive away). My sister was part of the discussion and suggested that since it's my second wedding, to just have a small ceremony and then two small celebrations, one with his side and one with mine (closer to them, so my fiance and I would be the one driving 4 hours). My fiance and I go to visit my family once a year and my family never come my way (or if they do, they don't contact me, with the exception of ONE of my cousins). I have also made the effort for them by going to 3 of their weddings and 1 baby shower. I am very hurt that 1. they had a discussion about me behindn my back. If they had a concern, they could just decline or discuss it directly with me, and 2. that they aren't willing to make an effort to come to my wedding after my fiance and I put in effort to go see them every year. So, AITA?

3 Comments

Latest activity by The Magoks, on October 15, 2024 at 09:38
  • The Magoks
    Beginner May 2026 Alberta
    The Magoks ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not!! It's your big day and it's clear that you would do the same for them. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to have two celebrations because people don't want to make the trip, if they truly care for you they would find a way to make it work. Also, I understand that some may not be able to make it but they could just simply let you know that as well. No one should be asking you to make compromises on your big day. Sending all the good vibes to you!!

• Alison
    Newbie April 2025 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alison,

I definitely don't think it is unreasonable to ask your guests to come to your celebration. I think weddings are majority of the time about the couple and what they want, of course you can take your guests into account but they wouldn't be the first people to have to travel for an out of town wedding... I'm not sure you should compromise and do both celebrations. I like to think that those that want to be there bad enough and (can), will find a way. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics