Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sierra
Curious June 2018 British Columbia

Advice needed

Sierra, on February 28, 2017 at 12:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Alright everyone, I'm hoping that you guys can help me with my situation.

Im begginning to plan my wedding and have arrived at a bit of a crossroads, I have my three bridesmaids picked out and my FH has his three groomsmen picked, however I really want to have my younger step sister help out quite a bit (the way a bridesmaid would) and i want her to be involved in the wedding. How can I approach her about this? Is there a role I can ask her to take? I am not too keen on the idea of having her as a bridemaid due to the fact that there would be family drama regarding it as I would need to involved my older step sister (we arent as close) she is also underage still. Anybody experience something similar or have any ideas?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on March 1, 2017 at 06:12
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Sierra! Smiley heart I'm glad to see you already got so many suggestions in here. Smiley smile You can also invite her in your pre-wedding activities with your bridesmaids too. I thought I would share these ideas with you:

How old will be your flower girls?

DIY activities you can do with your bridesmaids

Bridesmaids bonding ideas

When will you propose to your bridesmaids? Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was!
    And another ideab to get your sister involved Smiley smile I'm sure she'll be happy just to know you want her involved
  • Sierra
    Sierra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds beautiful!
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of religious ceremonies have a part where a bible verse or scripture is read, and a lot of people have close friends and family do that part.
    My sister didn't have a religious ceremony though, and had a love poem read during her ceremony. her husband's sister read it just before their vows
    It isn't necessary, but I think it's a nice way to include your sister, you and your FH can choose a meaningful thing to personalize it!
  • Corina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Corina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Sierra! I love it because she can be involved and have responsibility on the day of but other than carrying the rings there are no other expectations!

• Sierra
    Sierra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is an incredible idea!

• Sierra
    Sierra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When you say do a reading, what does that mean?

• Corina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Corina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fh's sister is 16 and I was having the same issue. We decided to include her as an adult ring bearer, she will stand up with us and we will find her a dress that is different from the bridesmaids but matches
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So yeah- too old to be a Jr.....I guess either have her get ready with you and do a reading, or risk the wrath of your step sister and ask her to be in your party anyway!

You could always plan to go our together the day before and have mani/pedis or something just the two of you

• Sierra
    Sierra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't asked the girls yet, was planning on doing so in a few months, with the exception of my maid of honor, we have known each other for over 10 years. And junior bridesmaid would likely offend her since she is only a few years younger than me (she is 17 and I am 20) but I love the idea of inviting her to get ready with me!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Solid choice Smiley tongue

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

well I wouldnt wanna throw down with those rockem sockem robots you got going on there lol

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Melissa is on the money! How old is your younger sister? If she's like 18... Jr. bridesmaid might be a bit odd. I get family drama ALL TOO WELL!!! And trust me when I say that it is completely unavoidable and will happen regardless, might as well have the wedding party you'd like and be happy with (my mom assumed my sister would be MOH and said that she heard from my sister that she didn't want to be, which was great and saved me a REALLY awkward conversation because I never planned on asking her to be!).

Also, watch out for how much you are expecting from your BM's. They have lives and lots of things going on outside of your wedding and it may be hard for them to always be there to help with things. It's best to keep your expectations minimal, then if they are able to help you, AMAZING! If not... no big deal!!!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HAHA good to know you pre-agree with me Smiley winking Smiley tongue

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to agree with Val on this one ... and a suggestion would be a junior bridesmaid as well

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might suggest not asking bridesmaids so early- a few Brides here have had issues with asking Bridesmaids far in advance, and then having regrets about the choices, so keep that in mind.

For a younger sister, depending on her age maybe "junior bridesmaid" might be a suitable title? Or you could ask her to do a reading for you. If anyone is throwing a shower for you she could be inviolved in decorating for that (I'm assuming she is too young to throw one herself). You can also include her in getting ready for the wedding with you.

And for what it is worth- your step sister should not stop you from choosing the Bridesmaids you want by your side. I know family drama is a struggle, but do remember that your bridal party should be those who you are closest to- and if your younger sister is one of those people, she should be there with you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics