Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie June 2022 Alberta

Adult Only Wedding

Shontelle, on February 13, 2018 at 10:24 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone here has had an 18+ wedding ceremony & reception? I am planning on doing this and I am just wondering if anyone that has done it had any advice with wording on the invitation & how to handle family & friends that may not react well. Would love to get some opinions on this.

Thank you!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on February 14, 2018 at 15:12
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an adults-only wedding! We made sure to address our save-the-dates and invitations specifically to the invited guests by name ("Joe and Jane Doe", not "The Doe Family"), and had our parents help spread the info through word of mouth with their friends!

7 Tips for Having a Adults-Only Wedding
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with this!

Also, people don’t always want to bring their kids unless it’s a family wedding. But with that being said, the only anticipated kids at our wedding will be my fiancé’s niece and nephew, and my cousins teenaged daughter. My other cousins with smaller children are leaving them behind.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an adult only wedding and just put it right on the invitation ("Adult only reception). We also addressed the invite to the people who we wanted to attend (Mr and Mrs John and Jane Smith vs. The Smith Family). We were also prepared to make the uncomfortable phone call if anyone got confused and included their kids on the RSVP. Most people tho anticipate kid free weddings, it's becoming more and more common and they ask ahead of time so they can plan accordingly for childcare.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Shontelle,

We are having an adults only (with the exception of FH niece and nephew who will have a part in the wedding)

Other than his sisters kids there aren't any others in our immediate families - which I realize is definitely not the norm. If we invited our first cousins kids plus guests children we would have around 25 extra little guests and since 120 in our venue is already tight, that would be 25 adults we would really like to be there that would have to come off the guest list to accommodate the children (our venue considers over 10 an adult at full price which most of these kids would be).

And the fact that we were looking at paying $2000 for these children to eat an adult portion made it an easier decision to decide on kid free- it has actually allowed us to afford an open bar. So far all of the people with children that we've let know it's adult only are actually excited about having a date night!

We have decided to send out save-the-dates before the invites so that we can include a little Adults only note and give everyone a little more notice. I found a super cute wording that I will be handwriting (with names) on fancy paper to include with the save the dates:

"Leave the Littles: We adore your children but have limited space (and intend to party). Please make it a date night!"

I know a no kid wedding definitely doesn't work for everyone by we are looking forward to having a super fun wedding with all those grown ups we love.

Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Courtney
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I spoke to my best friend who also did the same at her wedding and she said that she addressed the invites to the adults of the house only, and when people called to ask her if the kids were invited she explained to them that unfortunately due to space restrictions on the number of guests for her venue she was unable to extend the invitation to children. People understood.

We are also planning an adult only wedding, and we plan to do the same.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would simply state that the event is adults only. If people are offended, don't worry as it is your day and your choice.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really wanted adult only but we have small nieces nephews so once we opened it up to them we dicided anyone with kids was welcome to bring them. sorry can't be more help on this topic.

Maybe say something like "adult reception immediatly following cerenomy"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics