Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Expert September 2020 Ontario

Addressing Uninvited +1’s

Emily, on August 31, 2019 at 17:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hi there! My fiancé and I have decided that if friends or extended family want to bring +1’s that we don’t know, they have to cover the cost of the guests meal. We are planning to send out a little note in the invitations and I would love some feedback on what I have so far..

Dear family and friends,

We are so excited to have you be a part of our special day! We hope to see you there to celebrate as we start this next chapter together. Weddings are exciting, busy and (we hate to say it!) expensive. As some of you may know, Jesse & I are saving for our honeymoon and our future home in the next couple years. Due to this, we are trying to keep our wedding budget small and we ask that if you wish to bring a +1 who isn’t addressed on the invitation, that you contact us in advance to confirm if there is space, and also contribute to the cost of your guest’s meal. We thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to celebrate with you!

Love,

Emily & Jesse

12 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on September 12, 2019 at 19:02
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s what I’m worried about :/
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would take out the word "budget" after wedding in the 5th line. the confusion i see when people get this is that they rip open the invitation and throw away the envelope (with who the invitation is addressed too) and they forget to text you and then assume their partner can come....

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Vinod! That was very helpful ☺️🙏
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like that you both have come to the same conclusion of no plus 1 for any guest. I do see the note is a nice idea for your guests to know what you are doing based on inviting extra guests they invite.

This is what how I would read a message to sound more positive enforced.

We are so excited to have you be part of our special day! We celebrate our next chapter in life together with the presence of family and friends. As some of you may know, Jesse & I are starting a Honeymoon fund for the upcoming year. We accept requests for +1 guest not addressed on the invitation. Please do contact us to let us know the name of your guest and contributions made towards your guest(s) meal. We thank you for your understanding and can't wait to see you there!

A modification made to your message as a suggestion.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If they respond with two guests instead of just who is on the RSVP then just tell them the invite was for them and that you are unable to extend the invitation to two....
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately we have already made the decision if someone wishes to bring someone we haven’t invited, this will be our policy, we’ve discussed it with multiple family and friends and they agree. Based on the feedback I probably won’t send a note about it though and just hope people ask and not assume.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmm, okay! I’ll have to consider this option as well
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m more worried people won’t ask... 😞
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I totally understand your budget not leaving much room for plus ones, but I wouldn't include this as a part of your invitations (even if you add it to the details card.) I'd either address it directly with those you think it may be an issue with, include it on your wedding website, or avoid inviting guests you anticipate won't respect the fact that their invitation isn't addressed to them and a plus one.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the other ladies, I wouldn’t ask people to pay for their +1.

If your budget doesn't allow for plus ones, simply address the invite to the person and don’t include “and guest”.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally I wouldn't send that note. If someone asked about a plus one not on their invitation I would explain why you can't invite a plus one for them then.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know you are wanting feedback on the wording and not the policy, but I don't think there is a proper way to ask what you are wanting to ask.
    I am a big supporter of a very liberal +1 policy, but if that is not possible, perhaps just limit the invitations to all couples living together, married or engaged. Just my $0.02.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics