Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miav
Devoted September 2020 Alberta

Actual gifts or cash? which do you prefer?

Miav, on August 7, 2019 at 13:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22
Currently building our wedding registry.. we could do with a few upgrades of what we currently have (we live together), but cash will also be a big help for a house downpayment that we are thinking of after the wedding. Do we just register for a few items and include a cash option? Or just have the cash option since that is our preference anyway? TIA! Smiley smile

22 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 12:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like everyone walks with cash these days... if people bring us boxed gifts then thats ok too! but we are not specifying on our invitations

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod,

I too am considering no regristry. If ppl ask I will say we have lived together so we have what we need. If ppl feel they need a to purchase a gift. They can do so at their accord.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We preferred cash and that’s what we got. I made a registry for my shower as per my mothers request, but we still ended up with mostly cash from that too. I find that it’s just easier overall and can do so much more for a couple.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say just make it apparent that you would prefer cash instead of a GC - that would be my only concern!

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, thinking to do this as well! Smiley laugh

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cash for us. We paid for our wedding ourselves so any gifts we got were helping pay it off.

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is awesome. Thank you so much! We will probably do the same thing Smiley laugh

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were in the same boat. We told people we would prefer cash to help with our house down payment but we also put together a registry of 30 gift ideas for people who didn’t want to give cash.
    We got mostly cash (enough to pay for almost the whole wedding) and then a handful of gifts as well (mostly serving dishes for when we host get together and then some home decorations). It worked out great and a few people thanked us for still putting together a registry.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's pretty much our exact situation as well so we're going for the cash option. That way we can pick specifically what we like if we need a few items and stick the rest right in the bank. We're just not registering anywhere - I hear people are pretty good about getting the picture that you prefer cash.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No registry made since we have everything we need at home. The more important thing to experience is the time you get to have with your guests and family.

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I haven't attended a lot of weddings so I wasn't sure. cash is preferable definitely! Did you have a registry? if so, how was the experience like?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cash gifts seem best since its easy and don't have to take up space as to actual gifts being given. Every wedding I have attended has no boxed gifts given to the couple. Putting the cash aside for projects or down payments does help big time.

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks a lot! Smiley laugh

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks a lot! This is very helpful Smiley smile. Also, we are still renting, probably will rent until after the wedding. So we really do prefer cash, easier storage-wise and when we move!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not having a registry is the typical way to say that you want cash over household objects. In terms of etiquette you shouldn't really outright say that you want cash. Even if you have a few registry items you do need you can just register for those and when they are bought people will resort to cash. In fact, a lot of couples say that even if they had a registry most people gave them cash.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Word of mouth honestly. My FMIL is putting it on the invites for the shower, and my step mom is not, shes just telling family members as they ask. And honestly, many of our family bring cash to the wedding anyways because its easier to carry a card around in a purse of jacket than a huge gift!

Have both sets of parents let family know and let it spread from there!

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did you get the word out about cash preference? I was thinking to include it in one of the registries, like in myregistry.com, there is a tab there that says "House Downpayment Fund", I'm not sure if that is enough and if people will actually see it..

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mainly when they would ask my mom what I needed- we said we wanted to do things to upgrade house like reno's and so they would do cash instead. We needed things like new door knobs and so forth just dumb things that are expensive and wanted to watch for when a sale to get the best deal.

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did you get the word out that you prefer cash? thanks! Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also doing cash, and I would still prefer that even if we needed items for our house. This way you can get exactly what you want, and not worry if people will get you the right things etc.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have prefered the cash- people didn't even look at my registry Smiley sad I had 3 and only 4 people bought off of them. Some people got what they thought would be best or gave money.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing cash. We’re not flat out putting that on the invites or anything, we just aren’t having a registry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics