Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Newbie February 2021 British Columbia

a Friday Wedding? Ya or Nay?

Melissa, on March 31, 2019 at 00:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33

Hello Everyone,

My Fiance and I have been venue shopping like crazy lately, and we are now thinking about maybe having our wedding on a Friday instead of Saturday. We don't have a large budget, and we are finding out that most of the places we have looked at are over our budget. There is one place in particular that we love, but can't really afford it. They do offer cheaper prices on a Friday and Sunday which would make it more affordable for us. I understand that most people work Mon-Fri, and I'm a little worried if I have a Friday wedding most people won't be able to make it, especially my out of town guests. But is Friday all that bad? I'm curious to know anyone's experience with a Friday wedding. What were "your" pros and cons?

Thank you Smiley smile

33 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on April 20, 2019 at 11:32
  • Rebecca
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pro for the bride and groom, normally cheaper venue costs then Saturdays from any where between 500-thousands...at lease what I've seen from the quotes I've gotten. Cons, not all guest may be able to attend the ceremony.

For guests, as someone who attended 2 Friday wedding last year. Your left to make the decision to take the day off work or miss out on the ceremony. Traffic can also be stressful for guests, depending on location and if there is a distance between the ceremony and reception.
  • Jo-Ann
    Curious July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Jo-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yay! Lots of couples are going this way fir expense reasons and in some cases can save big bucks. Just keep in mind if certain family members need to take a day off work so hey can ask in plenty of time to ensure they can attend
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a Friday wedding last year. It required taking a half day off work but it wasn't a problem for me. It was nice having the rest of the weekend for other things. I think if anything most might miss the ceremony but be on time and available for the reception as it would be after work hours. I considered having a Friday wedding too but the reception venue, that is close to my ceremony site, unfortunately didn't offer any price difference. I was disappointed because I heard many venues provided this discount. But it was important to me that my reception venue be a close distance to my ceremony.
  • Catherine
    Newbie July 2019 Quebec
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Friday wedding for us too!!! I wanted to get married on our « 10th year couple anniversary » and it’s on a Friday so, Friday it is. plus it is in july. Imagine the savings and availability for the date!
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister had a Friday wedding. Her husbands side of the family were all from Asia so only those who were family and relatives flew in for that. As for my side of the family, close family and friends who could take the day off came to the ceremony at the mountain. Then the reception was held in downtown Vancouver at night. This allowed guests who couldn't take the day off work to join us after work. It was a little more difficult to coordinate, but still doable. They had about a 150 person turnout.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally planned a Friday night wedding but my FH thought it would be too much hassle for his side of the family. I think if it works for you then Friday it is!!
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lots of people do weddings on a Friday - you'll probably have less guests attend so it will be cheaper for you. My wedding is on a Monday haha

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for the comments and ideas! I'm feeling much better about having a Friday wedding. 😀
  • Jacalyn
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Jacalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a Friday wedding last year and loved it, still had the rest of my weekend to relax and enjoy. This year I am getting married on a Friday as it allowed us to upgrade to all the options we wanted at our venue to provide our guests the best time Smiley smile
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a Friday!

When we were looking at venues, we were pretty shocked at how little was available, and we were planning a year and 9 months in advance! The venue we loved gave us only 3 dates that they had left in all of 2019, so we went with the Friday in September.

It was important to us to still have a party and didn't want guests leaving at 10pm because they had to work the next day. I think most people don't mind taking a half day off work on a Friday.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a Friday wedding would be fine if you had the ceremony in the evening and then had the reception right after! or if you had a sunday wedding, have the ceremony around 11 and then have a midday lunch for your reception and end the evening around like.. 8pm so people could go home and be good to work on the monday. and yeah if you're giving so much notice then it should be fine! people who really want to come and support you will take the one day off work!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our wedding on a Friday where the guests were at the venue easily within walking distance staying at the venue. The timing was a restriction to start in the afternoon and reception was just around the corner from the wedding ceremony. The cost was less and for less guest count rather than Saturday.

Based on the venue location, locals will mostly leave early from work or not show up knowing the traffic and travelling time. Out of town guests staying at the hotel can carpool with other family members or on the bus provided by you to get them there.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you are having a Friday wedding you should make it so that’s it’s a local location for your guests and should strongly consider having a later ceremony time. This will allow people to take a half day at work or maybe just leave a little early from work and still make it.
    Friday weddings are for sure gaining more popularity because of the price break so it’s not an absurd idea or anything.
    If it will help you get the venue you love for a better price then go for it. Just try to make it convenient for your guests as well Smiley smile
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say it would be half okay if everyone was local and the ceremony was later. Either way I feel like people would need to book off work. If you are giving your save the dates a year in advance then who cares if on a Friday. I would attend regardless of the day of week if I wanted to see the person get married.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say Friday weddings are fine by me as long as they aren't out of town or too early!

Most people can take half a day off but for those who can't try and make the ceremony a late one? Say maybe 6pm? I know most people work the 8-4 or 9-5 so that would give them a reasonable amount of time to either go home and get ready or at least change before the leave work!

Like the others said - as long as there is notice people can make it work!

• Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your guests want to enjoy your day with you then they will make the day happen regardless of the day.
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also doing a Sunday wedding to keep costs down - both venue minimums and potential alcohol consumption. Smiley winking

Friday definitely isn't bad! In fact, a Friday late-afternoon or evening wedding is a great way to kick off the weekend!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a Sunday wedding for the same reasons. The main reason we didn't choose a weekday wedding is we both have vicarious employment and didn't want to worry about it. That being said, if a Friday is feasible for you, I'd say do it!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding will be on a Thursday, I find booking on days that arent peak is cheaper. It all depends on your budget and if the day has meaning to you or not. It's your day do it as you please as long as you give enough notice everything will be ok.

• K
    Curious June 2019 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe I’m the odd one out but I’ve attended SO many out of province weddings and given ample notice, I already take time off work. I’ve gone to brunch weddings during the weekday and taken the day off. For me, taking ONE day off work for someone that I care about to celebrate their love isn’t a big deal. Now, that being said, is a privilege. Some people cannot take a day off because of finances or other reasons. If you want to have a Friday wedding, do it!
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, thank you! Your comments are very helpful. Now I'm really considering doing it on a Friday. We are getting married in the summer, so kids will be out of school. Once we get a venue booked I will give my guest plenty of notice well in advanced. We aren't getting married in a church, so we would be able to have our ceremony later.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Real talk, most people work 9-5 Monday-Friday jobs. However, there are also those who work shift work, like nurses and first responders, who work wonky hours and weekends. People you invite will have to work on your wedding day no matter what day of the week. While some will be able to get time off, others won't. However, if you have lots of out-of-towners, I would consider a weekend wedding so they don't have to take as much time off.

With that, sending out save the dates and mentioning to guests that your getting married on a Friday gives them notice and they can see if they can work it out. I'd also look into an evening ceremony so those 9-5'ers can make it without taking time off.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a Friday night wedding could be difficult for your guests so you’d have to be sure to send out save the dates we’ll in advance. We’re personally doing a Sunday wedding (on a long weekend) partially for the discounted price lol.
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a Friday wedding, and made sure everyone knew. We got plenty of questions from nosy family members inquiring why Friday, is it because it’s cheaper etc and making comments but we chose Friday because our flights were initially booked for Saturday to depart. Now we’ve changed it to Sunday..

We anticipate our reception dinner to formally start at 7PM which we hope, will give people enough time to get off work and attend. Also, our guest list includes a lot of family, majority of which who are no longer working, so it worked out well
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say do it! My cousin got married on a Thursday, it was just as lovely as it would have been on a Saturday. They saved a ton of money having it on a weekday, and the place they wanted was easily able to accommodate them. As a sidenote, I think about my friends and family members in different fields, especially nursing, it can be tricky for them to book a Saturday off!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're getting married on a Sunday because of sentimental reasons (the day we wanted falls on a Sunday). It works well enough for us because the majority of our guests will either be on holiday, on school break, or are retired. We're having the ceremony and reception early enough so that people can leave around 10 pm without missing much, if they have work the next day. I'm not sure about a Friday though because it is an actual work day. I think it depends on your guest list and where most people are coming from. All of our out-of-town guests will be coming from overseas, so they don't need to leave on the Sunday. In fact, they are staying for a week vacation after the wedding. If most people are driving in and out for the weekend, that might limit you to Saturday.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd honestly say nay.
    It can work for sure if it's all in the evening of say after 5/6pm. That's the typical cut off time for lots of weekday working jobs. Honestly I wouldn't want to work all day then go to a wedding right after especially for families.. you get home from a long week and just want to enjoy some down time before the weekend. Also if you have any out of town guests I think it's unfair for them because they will likely have to take the full day off, if they have kids they may not go because of school. You'll obviously always have people unable to attend your wedding, I mean how often do you see 100% attendance? But I think especially for out of towners you should be somewhat accommodating to the fact they are traveling to the wedding and give them a better shot of being able to make it.
    I mean it can work obviously people get married on Fridays all the time but I feel for some it's just not the best idea..like our wedding would absolutely not work on a Friday but yours might so do what works for you. Best part of weekday weddings is that you save a ton of money!!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are also doing a Friday and haven’t heard many complaints. Our ceremony is at 5pm, so it still gives people the opportunity to work a full day and then come.

The only people who will for sure have the take the full day off is those in the wedding party. But they have had plenty of time to figure that out as we gave them way more than a year notice.

We have also also noticed a lot more discounts from vendors for a Friday. Our limo company being the biggest.
    If you have a smaller budget and Friday works for you guys and majority of your guests then go for it!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry I should add! Just make sure your guests have a lot of notice that it's a Friday so they can deal with work! And on your save the dates/invites make sure you have Friday written ALL OVER IT! Just make sure people know!

My only con! I'm a little nervous about driving between church/park/venue in our limos as itll be during rush hour on Friday and I hope traffic doesnt delay us too much!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a Friday! No one has complained! Most people are happy to take a day off work, and the kids in our wedding party are thrilled to take a day off school hahah!! We saved a TON of money for doing a Friday! We got discounts on DJ, venue, photographer! Plus all the extra discounts we grabbed from specials at the Bridal Show we saved THOUSANDS! and the best part! Friday night party means 2 days of recovery before going back to work hahah!! So 100% if a Friday works for you guys do it!!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a Friday wedding is fine. Guests will decline invitations for a variety of reasons so do what’s best for you and your SO.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me personally, I would likely not be able to attend a Friday wedding unless I took time off from my work (especially if the wedding is not close to my work or where I live). Depending on the time of year also, I’m limited to when I can and can’t take time off.

My FH is even more limited than I.

I think Friday weddings are great as they can be cost effective. However, some guests may not be able to attend due to work conflict or travel long distances, etc..

I would just send save the dates in this case, indicating it is a Friday wedding and that way people can arrange their plans accordingly in order to come.

youll always have people who can’t come to a wedding regardless of the day of the week. Do what’s best for you, it’s your day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics