Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

5 months out and stressed

Allison, on May 15, 2019 at 14:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

I didn't think I'd be the bride who got overly stressed about the wedding but here we are!

For those of you who don't know, one of my bridesmaids is getting married in June and I'm in her wedding. So naturally, most of my wedding attention is going towards helping her right now, mine's kind of on the back burner. Now since we're getting married in our hometown, I've also got appointments regarding my wedding during the day but I've reassured her I can help out in the evenings with anything - no problem! The problem starts with my mom, who's warning me to not burn out because of how busy I'll be but I feel like I'll be fine. She then tells me to not forget about my own wedding and how I still have stuff to do for it, which I'm aware of but it can wait until my friend's wedding is over.

My mom is also gone into full shower-planning mode and it's like it consumed her soul. I'm also the type of person who doesn't necessarily want a shower, but I know better than to argue that with my mom. So, I'm letting it happen although I'm not too pleased about it and half my bridal party won't be able to go. She also wants to keep parts of it a surprise, which I don't mind but she keeps hinting at things to me - now that bothers me! It's also all she wants to talk about, even though my mind is nowhere near focused on that.

I keep telling her we can talk about it after my friend's wedding but she flips and says stuff like "what do you even need to do for it?" "It's not like it's your wedding, so calm down." Meanwhile, she turns around and complains that my bridesmaids aren't doing enough for me, even though none of us live in the same city, and they are busy with their lives. I feel so frustrated with her, that I don't want the fuss of the shower but I know she'll still go through with it.

We're also busy with house renos (me and my FH) and he's more focused on that right now but it's stressing me out. We wants to get a bulk of it done before we go to London in June so we don't have to worry about it the rest of the summer/can enjoy our summer, but it's been constant renos! There's a lot of small things going on in my life too that all together, with house renos and wedding planning, has caused a lot of tense emotions for me! I'm not overly stressed until my mom mentions something about the wedding or my FH is renovating while I'm trying to de-stress and then I break down!

I feel like I needed to vent hard about the last little while, you guys are good listeners/online readers lol Smiley heart

16 Comments

Latest activity by Donna, on May 24, 2019 at 08:51
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What can I say to help you out, my Wedding is in July 6th, first my Bridal shower is this Sunday May 26th ,next Saturday June 1 Buck & Doe, after those dates June 10 Hair dresser trail my daughter-in-laws mom is going to do my hair, June 12th my finale fitting for my Wedding dress will be adding Sleeves, our Rehearsal Luncheon is June 29th, am I nervous what do you think. I had to take yesterday off from work it got so bad Wednesday night,,,,, But everything will always be what you make out of it, you just need to take a bubbly bath, sit down a lone with a nice hot cup of tea, with your favor book yes be yourself, let your mind think nothing even if it's for 15 minutes you will feel better. People in our lives love watching us get all stressed out, don't take it to heart, do something you like doing, it will help you I've gone it a few times myself. Well everything will turn out great

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything will be okay. Moms tend to get a little crazy during weddings and if my wedding has taught me anything about my mother, it's that she's not always right.

Be a good friend and bridesmaid to your friend and help her. She will certainly return the favour when all the attention is on you soon Smiley smile

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Luckily I only have a month until the other wedding is done so after that should be good!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lots on your plate for sure and no stopping.

Seems your mom never has a quiet day to complain about something. She needs to take a chill herself and calm down rather than telling you.

It seems that all things happening takes on more of you than her and she doesn't get that plus you know its going to be ok and what you have to overlook after your BMs wedding has time to get done.

As much as i got help from my parents and still mentioned what was done and planned to do for our wedding, somethings were just not flowing well there too and lots of fighting and argueing. It really blasted out one day and we both got heated up and let it out. Family is never easy and to hear what you want. I suggest cut your trips short to your mom as much as you love her until the wedding in June is done and then back on track with your home and plans.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Self care is definitely important right now!! I went for a walk last night and watched some old shows from my childhood lol. Definitely needed the break!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Erin, this is all really great advice!!

I had a night off from wedding/renos stuff last night and I definitely needed it! I've told my mom most of the stuff for my wedding can't really be done until closer to the date/when I'm in town.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Man, you are one busy lady! Like a lot of the ladies said send your mum a list of what's done put her at ease. Explain that Your bridesmaids are doing the best they can considering the distance and that you want to do the same as a bridesmaid to your friend. Maybe go somewhere away from all the chaos to de-stress, like reading a book in the park now that it is nicer or go for a walk while listening to music. These are the months you will need to do some serious self-care, your health is the most important thing.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Holy your plate is full! So i think i would send your mom a reassuring list of What's been completed and a list of your plans to complete the rest. This way she will understand that you are on top of things and that you have time to be the bridesmaid you set out to be. Tell her that once your friend's wedding is done you will have some time to focus on the shower. It's hard for you and your FH when at the moment you both have a different focus on which tasks need to be done, wedding stuff or renos, both equally important. Take one night off of working on stuff snd figure out what is essential and what can wait. Assign each task a number value of importance and the higher numbers get done first.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Basically, anything dealing with my wedding can wait until afterwards - it's just convincing my mom of the same. I have some meetings I have to do while I'm in town, so I can only do them before my friend's wedding, but that's it!

Honestly, I don't get the whole shower scene myself, so maybe that's why I can't get pumped about it but again, I can't afford to concern myself with it right now. I'm taking the night to do nothing tonight so hopefully that helps my mental state.

Our renos are coming along quickly, I don't want to jinx any of it by saying it'll for sure get done by x day, but I'm optimistic. It'll be nice to enjoy our summer instead of working like crazy on renos since summer is so short here!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Leanne, while I'm not an only child, I am the oldest and first to get married. You are right about me not living in my hometown - I'm a good 18 hours away. I do miss my mom as well, like you suggested, but like you said, it stresses me out too much to pay attention to both weddings at the same time.

This helped me regain some perspective on my situation for sure, thanks for your insights!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are one busy lady! My best piece of advice. Make lists of what needs to be done for your wedding right now, and what can wait. Also what needs to be done for your friends wedding that you need to concern yourself with.

My Step Mom is planning my shower and it isn't until September, but she's had it booked for almost a year. I honestly am not even concerning myself with it lol. I got half of the favours, and thats about it.

Make sure you take some time to yourself!

I have to agree with trying to get all the house reno's done so you can enjoy your summer. I am on my FH about that also as we currently have no carpet down our stairs and I do not want it to be like that on our wedding day when we have others in the house lol

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you have every reason to be stressed, and it's not even all about your won wedding!

Are you an only child? Your mom sounds very excited about being able to do something special for you for your wedding. Of course, I don't know her, so I can't say for sure, but it sounds like she just really wants to be able to talk to you about this and she feels sad or frustrated that she can't share it with you right now. It would be selfish of you to ignore your friend's wedding and just focus on your own like your mom suggested, but her thoughts might just be that she wants to enjoy this time with you. It sounds like you don't live in your hometown, meaning your mom probably misses you, too. Again, I am just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, if she is actually unreasonable, then you go ahead and ignore my advice.

You can try to say something to her like "mom, I miss you too and I am excited to talk about wedding stuff with you, but I am also excited to help out my friend. I am not trying to ignore you, but you have to understand that we still have plenty of time to talk about my wedding, and I will be making lots of time to spend with you once this wedding is over. I am too stressed to do both at the same time and it will only hurt our relationship if you keep trying to force me to overwhelm myself."

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks a lot Becky! These last few months are sure to be stressful, but worth it! I like how you worded the shower being not on your radar since there's so much to do. My shower is also a lot of my mom's friends, so people I don't really know well, but my mom has their help so she can bug them with the shower and not me!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly!! I get since she's hosting it, she's all up and excited about it but I'm not there yet!

I have so many lists, I need a master list for all my lists lol! Luckily my planner has been my saving grace when it comes to staying on track - getting excited about the shower is scheduled for August lol

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Allison! you are so busy and being an amazing bridesmaid at the same time! I hope the reno's get done intime and you can enjoy the rest of your spare time!

Tori is right about the lists- i went on a rant as you know but man if it wasn't for the check lists I would feel screwed!

My mom and my FH family are planning my bridal shower and told them didn't want to hear about it. I have enough on my plan without that.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My lord, busy busy busy busy busy!!

I completely get the whole, it can wait thing. My Mom has started looking at places for the wedding shower and I'm just not even there yet man. I've got a million things on my mind and that is not one of them. Keep me out of it if it's a you thing right?

My best friends right now (other than my FH of course) are lists. They are my way of laying out what needs to be done and in what order. Can't stress over something that isn't first on the list!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics