Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cindy
Curious November 2022 Ontario

2022 Weddings

Cindy, on January 12, 2021 at 01:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 30
Any 2022 brides here debating whether to plan for original guestlist or are you planning on downsizing?

I'm super indecisive whether to just go ahead and plan with our original guestlist of 62 or go even smaller to 25. I'm not sure what things will be like by then and whether or not financially we'll still be ok (assuming worse case scenario and one of us loses our job due to pandemic and closures). I'm trying to stay positive but it's stressing me out. The 62 guests are our relatives and close friends only, while the 25 are our immediate families and close friends. So in general it's already a small wedding.
I need some opinions and thoughts please and thanks!

30 Comments

Latest activity by Cindy, on January 17, 2021 at 23:22
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea I read about that. Which is fine, we already pre-selected the 2 witnesses if we have to limit it and go to that plan lol

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Toronto City Hall is running weddings because it's a private business who leases the space. But based on current restrictions (lock down/stay at home), you can only have five people: the couple, the two witnesses, and the officiant. The couple may only take off their masks during the legal ceremony.

Civic centre wedding chapels across the GTHA, which are run by the various municipal governments, have been closed for weddings since March.

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ah ok. Fair enough.
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Would city hall be open? Or are they not doing ceremonies due to covid 🤔🤔
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh thank god. Lol you had me worried. Either way I'll have a backup plan i guess
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah I've thought about that too 😔
    Wanted winter just cause that's our 10y anniversary lol. I mean worse case scenario just get married at city hall and then celebrate later... much later 😒😖
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah ok good to know. Thanks (:

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh thanks!
    I printed off the questions from a wedding wire article that I saw a while back and added a few additional questions but was curious if there's anything I missed.

• Bianca
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So far what you mentioned (venue, dj, photographer and videographer) that’s who I gave a deposit to, normally I would think a florist and decorator too, but mine is a family friend so I didn’t need to.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The questions I have written down are:
    Is there a sound system we can use?
    When are we allowed to set up for the wedding and when do have to clean up by?Do we need liability insurance?Do you have any decor restrictions? (Some places don't allow real candles)What are your payment plans/options?When does the reception need to end by?What are your policies in regards to covid?
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you have any tips on things I should discuss with my vendors/venue regarding covid or in general I guess that's important? I have an appointment this sat for a virtual tour and then going over pkgs. I've looked into things to ask vendors and I'm just wondering if there's anything that might not be as obvious?

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh ok! Which vendors would usually take a deposit? obviously venue, photographer/videographer, caterers... I wouldn't go with a new vendor unless its something small like hair...possibly makeup :/

• Bianca
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im getting married in July 2022 and from last year we have planned it as if Covid doesn't even exist with 130-140 guests that we plan to invite, needless to say that doesn't guarantee who actually wants to attend. When booking though, I've just made sure that if something were to happen that whoever I booked will be able to push back my day and hold my deposit, etc. I've also booked people who have been around for years and years so I know they cant really go anywhere within 2 years because they have been established, compared to new companies and businesses just starting out.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're welcome! The other venues we looked at we could cancel up to 6 months before the wedding and get our deposit back! Definitely makes it less stressful when booking so far out
  • Maude
    Curious March 2022 Ontario
    Maude ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just booked a venue for 100 people for March 2022 and I'm hoping to stick with it. But the venue was awesome and said they won't charge us for a minimum amount of people if we legally aren't allowed to have that many.
    I just hope that my 2022 either things have been fixed or we have figured out a way to live with it.
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh very nice! That makes me feel better booking a date lol. Thanks for tip!
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just make sure your deposit is refundable if you cancel within x amount of time or x amount of time before the wedding! We got lucky with our venue and only need to give them 2 weeks notice to cancel and get our deposit back!
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok cool! Coworkers at work started asking if I'm comfortable booking anything now, incase I lose my deposit worse case scenario but I dont want to lose my chance at my date etc

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is May 2022 and our guest list is 57 people! For now im sticking to that. If we need to we will reevaluate 6 months before the wedding
  • Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, that's very true.

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I will just keep the 2 guestlists and plan for the original wedding and if anything comes up I have a back up. I just have to see what the protocols are for the venue/ vendors for things changing etc.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good luck. At least with your smaller numbers, you have more choices in terms of availability.

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I'm hoping things will lighten up by our weddings, Masks are kind of a downer in pictures >.> are people smiling? who knows lol.

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've read that even with vaccinations people should still be wearing masks, if that's true who knows...hopefully not. It seems like the popular response to just plan for 2 possibilities, which is what I'm most likely gonna do. Plan for the original wedding plans and that's not possible, plan b wedding plans lol.

• Cindy
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't have a venue set at the moment, I have an appointment this Saturday to see a venue I like virtually. Hopefully that works out and then I have to ask a bunch of questions if things are subject to change what happens and deposit wise how is that affected etc...

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plan your wedding as planned so you do get to have a great celebration with the families itself and set the later date for reception for the full guest list to party with your friends too.

Financially, your not going to get everything for the small wedding as you can enjoy the bigger celebration later next year. Its not the discouragement to feel, the security of knowing things will get better in time.

• Angelique
    Beginner June 2022 British Columbia
    Angelique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m planning a normal wedding haha! My fiance thinks it’s very hopeful of me but come on. If covid is still here next year, I’m going to lose it.

I do however have a set of guests in case this whole covid restrictions are still in place by June of next year. Hopefully not, because we all have suffered enough. Just keep two sets for yourselves.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We am still planning for 100 (since we already had that in place from before we postponed) but we're at the point as long as we can have 50 we'll go ahead. Our wedding is five days after yours. I think we'll have to see how the next few months go to see how many invites we'll be able to send. Luckily we don't have to do that right now. I am very hopeful that we will be able to have a beautiful wedding (praying for no masks) I want pictures with our guests (our list is mostly just family). Fingers crossed for us.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d plan for both possibilities for a January 2022 wedding. If all goes to plan everyone in Canada should have been vaccinated for a couple of months at this point and restrictions will be in the process of being lifted as active cases drop. Depending how fast that happens I think it’s entirely possible you could have your wedding and it may just be more minor restrictions that are still in place.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it doesn't hurt to plan for both guest counts. You can do batch invites (only the 25 at first) and send the remaining 37 closer to the date when things seemingly stabilize or send all the invites but state on the invitation that your guests' attendance is conditional on government restrictions.

Do you have a venue set? If not, I suggest finding one that has multiple dining rooms, like an inn, a multi-level restaurant, or something that have small rooms that aren't normally booked for weddings so that in the event you do need to downsize to the 25, you can make the switch and not be in a space that's overly large for your guest count.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics