Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kryzia
Curious July 2018 Ontario

11 days away..

Kryzia, on July 17, 2018 at 16:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19

We're 11 days away. I've been pretty diligent with my planning, so we're just counting down the days at this point. However, my ceremony venue (Graydon Hall Manor) wants to cause some bumps in the road for us so close to the wedding.

Firstly, a few months ago, they happily informed us that they would set up the canopy on the terrace for our wedding free of charge because another event will be using it the same weekend. I initially fell in love with the venue because of the backdrop of the manor, so I wasn't too happy about having this big white canopy covering the back of the manor in all of our photos. However, they had in the fine print in the contract that they can put it up whenever they want. They basically told us that we should be grateful the canopy is up for our wedding, especially because of the number of guests we had. My fiancé kindly reminded her that it's about what I, as the bride, envisioned and prefer and if there's a way to make it happen, it would be nice to see if it's possible to accommodate. She gave us the solution of starting an hour later to give them time to take down the canopy, but we had already printed the invitations and started given them out with a 12 PM start time. Also, starting at 1 PM would only leave 1 hour for guests to enjoy the premises and for hors d'oeuvres, which is mandatory if you want to have an event there. Needless to say, our hands were tied so we swallowed the loss.

Secondly, one of the things we made sure to have at our venues was free parking for our guests. We stumbled across a couple of gorgeous venues, but they didn't have parking included on their property so guests would need to use public parking and pay. When we initially made our deposit and signed our contract with Graydon, parking was included for our guests. Yesterday, we got an email telling us they've entered into an agreement with a parking enforcement company and our guests would have to pay a "nominal $12", which shouldn't be an issue because guests shouldn't expect complimentary parking anyways. I don't care if it's $5 or $12 or $50.. Paid parking was never part of the original deal and it would have definitely made me walk away if I knew that was something they were enforcing.

Thirdly, we booked our rehearsal time at the venue since January, then confirmed again in June. We needed to book an evening time slot because well.. people have jobs. Today, I get an email telling me they've decided to book a corporate event during our rehearsal time and the only times they have available are during the day, hours that people have to be at work. Great..

I understand how the wedding industry works, but it's just a bit frustrating to have such complications so close to the wedding..

19 Comments

Latest activity by Karen, on November 3, 2018 at 09:15
  • Karen
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Kryzia! Congrats on your wedding! I’m wondering if you resolved the parking issue with Graydon Hall? We’re going through the exact same issue with them but luckily our wedding is in June so not as close as your when you found out. I love the venue but the management is so inflexible and a bit dishonest I find (they tell you one thing but do another). Wondering how you found them on the wedding day and if they tried to do anything else. Sorry would message you directly but I’m completely new to this and couldn’t figure out how to do it!
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is beyond frustrating!! I hope everything works out for you, the light is at the end of the tunnel!

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My blood is boiling just reading this!!! I’m amazed that you are calm (at least your post seems calm). I would DEFINITELY speak to someone ASAP. This is ridiculous!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow it’s so frustrating when places like this try and walk all over you! I would definitely give them a piece of my mind and be very firm, ESPECIALLY about your rehearsal! 11 days out and they do this! I would be one serious bridezilla right now if I were you lol
    It is not ok to change it so last minute without speaking with you about it first!
  • Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

PS. If anyone else has booked with Graydon Hall Manor and is facing the same issue with the all of a sudden paid parking enforcement, please DM me personally.

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the offer, Courtney! Hopefully my fiance will be able to work something out.
  • Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We might just have to. Unfortunately, we don't fly out to Toronto until Friday. We've been planning the wedding long distance. We're going to have to wait to meet the face to face. Thanks for the suggestion, Bianca!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are handling this amazingly well. This is really difficult.

I know being so close to the wedding is really tough. If you need someone else to help call and sort details out for you, hit me up. I've had my wedding and can help you out if you need it!

Try and enjoy this time.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WOW. I am so sorry you're going through this so close to your wedding. I think you and your fiancée need to go pay them a visit in person and talk this out with them because none of this is acceptable whatsoever.

Good luck Smiley heart

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is quite frustrating! With the wedding industry, you know their bottom line is to make money. But this whole experience has made us feel like, "If we can make money, you get thrown to the side."

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Writing is definitely our best friend! Hopefully it all works out.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree... I was going to say the only word for it is Crazy... but there's also Rude, Inconsiderate, Unprofessional, possibly Illegal (breaking your contract)...

Go fiance go! I really hope you guys can work it out. That's really frustrating. I'm such a stickler for getting all the prices, details, due dates, deadlines, etc in writing, and as much as possible in the contract, so I can hold them to it.

Hopefully those details are in yours and you can get it all sorted out!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh, I am furious for you! This is completely unacceptable business practice!

I second what others have said - absolutely go back to your contract. Unfortunately, it bit you in the butt as far as the canopy goes, but if you have it in writing that parking is free, then make them honour it.

You BOOKED a rehearsal time. It's not like you have just shown up and there is an event already going. This is another point I would stick to with them - you booked, they are the ones cancelling. Again, go back to anything you have in writing. Writing is your best friend!

I'm glad your fiancé is stepping in to help - let us know how it goes.

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're trying!!!

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiancé has been trying to get them on the phone. They've been a bit elusive at this point. He's stepping in at this point. I understand they're in the business of making money, but this is absolutely crazy to me..

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

PREACH! I am completely with you on this!

GO AND GET WHAT IS OWED! This is no way to do business and I recommend you go as high as you can do get what you were promised.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No no no no no.... Your venue has turned around and tried to walk all over you... First of all, I'm sorry about the canopy/timing situation... that's unfortunate.

Second, if it is in your contract about parking, they need to eat that cost of now going to a third party business for their parking... I would outright refuse and throw a fit to that one... seriously.

Third, you scheduled a rehearsal... it's in their calendar. They overbooked you to make more money. They need to do SOMETHING to fix that.

Oooooh my blood is boiling for you. I think your fiance did a great job standing up for you, and maybe he can step in and help again now?

I understand everything not being perfect, but adding additional expense this close to the wedding? Totally unacceptable.

• Kryzia
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks, Jennifer. Smiley heart I'm sure it will all work out. It's just unnecessary stress.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that you are going through that. how frustrating for you.

at the end of the day. it will all work out. guests will understand. and you are marrying the love of your life. that is the important part! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics