Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brett
Curious July 2020 Saskatchewan

101 days out and freaking out a bit.

Brett, on April 15, 2020 at 07:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
My fh still has not asked his groomsmen to be in the wedding! They obviously don’t have outfits yet, no clue where to even go for that with everything being closed now. Still have to order a band for him. Mines ordered but who knows when it will show up. No matter what we are still getting married on the day we picked. But maybe postponing the reception.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Sasha, on April 16, 2020 at 20:42
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could be right. I haven't fully looked into it. Thank you though Stephanie.

• Stephanie
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought in Ontario you can get them online?

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel so frustrated too Marissa. I am 39 and never thought I would get married. I feel like I have upended the balance of the universe lol

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am glad you got your measurements done I dont think I can even go to my seamstresses house and do that

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's nice I was supposed to try on and take home (if it fit) my dress tomorrow, but of course had to cancel appointment. The lady who did my dress runs her business from her home too! She offered to let me arrange some kind of curbside pickup, but don't want to drive 7 hrs to get it only to find out it doesn't fit and I have to make the trip again. She took my measurements before ordering the materials, however I'm still worried it will need alterations.
  • Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank goodness I have my dress and it is currently with my alterations lady who works out of her home so she can still work!
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally understand not wanting to postpone marriage and instead postponing reception if needed! Yea my partner was bad for that too lol I finally got him to tell everyone he wanted as groomsmen he wasn't in a rush but I like to do things early and I want everyone to have enough time to plan for it.

We are 113 days away, and I am holding off on postponing as long as I can get away with (our venue doesn't get a lot of bookings so feeling confident we can get another date that's not too far off). We don't have dresses for bridal party or suits for groom and groomsmen, and my dress is ready to be picked up once the store can reopen.
    I thought our wedding date and year was perfect - couldn't have been more wrong!
  • Clauds
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Clauds ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 112 days to go and we also don't have our suits yet. My dress is still in transit but I'm assuming that won't arrive until June-ish and will need lots of altering.

I am also freaking out slightly. But according to my friends who are already married, men's suits only take about a week to alter if you are buying off the rack. That makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully businesses will be running by July. Fingers crossed.

I don't have a license yet either. Hoping again by Summer, we'll be able to obtain one.

All we can do is stay positive!

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am told St Thomas and Barrie are issuing them. You cant get married without a licence. I was thinking I can do that but it's not possible. Remember they expire in 90 days! So time it accurately. City Hall will probably be open by your wedding date. Good luck! ❤❤
  • L
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    LJ Hisey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, I haven't gotten a license as I was out of office on vacation and self isolation before this got bad and we shut down. If I had thought about it I should have gotten one before. Who knew our shut down would last this long!

Do you know what cities? I know from colleagues at other municipalities in my region that the office are closed.

I am hoping we will be able to secure a license before our date, if we proceed with that day!

I think that the vows are important and you can fill out the paperwork at a later date if it comes to that.

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    June 27th is my date. But I'm not doing my reception that day. I'd still like to do the ceremony. But you're right I still need a licence. I am being told some cities in Ontario are still issuing them. I'm okay to push my ceremony to July or August if I have to. Were you able to obtain one? I guess since you work there you're able to.
  • L
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    LJ Hisey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sasha, What day is your wedding? Do you already have possession of a marriage license?

I work for a municipality in Ontario. Our offices are not set to open until second week of June.

This means our clerks department will not be operating until then or even later if it is still not safe to have face to face interaction. Just something to think about as you need to both be there to obtain a marriage license.

• Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish he had asked at 10 months! 3 months or less out is cutting it way to close for comfort for me.
  • Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don’t have a marriage license yet, fh still needs a suit even if we “elope” because I will be in my dress and it just won’t look right if he’s in jeans and tshirt.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your back up plan sounds good to go ahead given the marriage license is in your possession. FH asking groomsmen to be part of the wedding doesn't reflect on eloping since its only witnesses there. Its better to not have them present and to take on more worries of suits/dresses getting arranged now. Keep it simple and easy and just plan the reception as you would for the later date.

I know you want to have everything set and go according to plan for the wedding. Its not worth the stress of doing more than needed at this point and temporarily have a ring that you can put on his finger for now ordered online. Once everything is cleared, get the wedding band for him then.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So depending on when everything gets lifted... the guys can pretty much go in 2 weeks prior and they’ll still be okay. Good luck!
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can order the band online. That's what my FH is doing.
    I am debating whether to postpone my reception to next year. I keep going back and forth.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Took my DH quite a bit of nagging to ask his men as well - but he was able to do so around the 10 month mark I think...

I would say that for the most part I'm sure his guys know that they will be asked, but it did take our GM about 3 months for the suits to be ordered (custom suits) so I would think they are now going to either buy and get alterations, rent, or wear what they already have.

As for the bands; I could for sure see how jewellery isn't an essential service - but perhaps reach out to the store that you would have ordered from to see if they know more? No use worrying about something you can't do anything about though. Try not to stress too much, I'm sure everything will happen how it's meant to be.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics