Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kathleen
Frequent user October 2019 Ontario

1 Photographer, or 2? & Is 8 hours enough?

Kathleen, on March 7, 2018 at 11:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

I believe we’ve (FINALLY!) found our photographer, however we’re not debating between if we want one photographer, or two and if 8 hours will be enough time.

Our ceremony will begin at 4pm, and our ceremony venue and reception venue are the same. Photos of us getting ready would be nice, but I don’t need a million of them.. and my fiancé will probably be getting ready across the city. PLUS two of my bridesmaids are photographers, so I thought they could just take photos of me getting ready between them getting ready. My thought is two photographers for 8 hours doesn’t give them much time to take photos of us both getting ready and I’d rather ensure we get the dances/bouquet toss/garter/cake cutting than too many getting ready photos.

My sister and one of my best friends do photography so I’m not worried about me getting ready since they can just take a few for me so we don’t waste photo hours with our photographer (as long as I have a photo or two of my dress I’ll be happy!)

Did anyone get two photographers and think they’d have been okay with one, or vice versa? The only thing I’d really like is my fiance’s reaction AND a photo of me walking down the aisle- do you think one photographer could manage that?

It's also $1000 more for a second photographer for 8 hours ($2900), or $3500 for 2 for 10 hours. We don't want to spend a fortune, and only had about $2500 budgeted for a photographer.

& Do you think 8hrs would be enough with one photographer if we did a 2-10, or 2:30-10:30 ish?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Renee, on March 7, 2018 at 20:29
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having 2 photographers unlimited hours for $3000 and this includes an engagement shoot! It took me some hunting as we wanted a specific look for our pics and our 1st pick was almost $7000! (I almost booked him and my mother almost murdered me!) Maybe it's worth it to have a peek around for a few other photographers? I'd your heart is set in this and you truly feel the shots of you in the morning aren't as important then just go with 2 for 8 hours. I truly think 2 will get all the moments!

Also, make sure you have a game plan for all the shots you want to get to ensure that 8 hrs is enough time for you ie. family shots, bridal party shots ect. That may help you make your decision!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will always push for two photographers, they're able to capture different things in a moment so I think it's important. However, I do think 8 is enough. Our photographer will be from about 1-9PM. I don't really need pictures of everyone dancing drunkenly.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing 8 hours worth of photography. I was faced with the same dilemma as you - 8 hours or more - and I decided to stick to 8 hours because it gives us time to do poses pictures before the ceremony, and several hours during the reception. I also booked a second photographer for half the day to get all angles during the ceremony.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wanted two photographers so that I could get more candid photos throughout the day, while the main photographer takes the more formal pictures. Each photographer is going to a different location to take getting ready photos so we can do both (one can also do it, but we hired two so it works).

If you want your photographers there for around 3:30pm, they would be at the reception until 11:30pm, which by then would probably just be dancing, so it depends on what you want photos of. Our photographer was hired for 10 hours, and he will start at 11:00am wth getting ready photos and work until 9:00pm, because by then there won't be much to take photos of.

You'll need to decide what you want the second photographer for and the time frame for each photographer to decide if you want one or not.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Realistically you don’t need the photographer for the later part in the evening. While everyone’s still dancing and drinking. 8 hours is plenty. And while 2 photographers can be great, do you really want to go over budget to get those extra shots in? That’s the big question. Is that $400 over budget worth it to you? But don’t pay for them both for 10 hours. That’s way over your budget and definitely not necessary.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it comes down to how much you wanna capture during your day. How long will your wedding day be? With 2 photographers they can catch all moments and less likely to miss the key elements of the day that you want. I'm paying $3800 for 2 photographers for 10-12 hrs. We didn't mind splurging on photographers as that will be the key element to help us remember our day and items we can look back on as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics