Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Candace
VIP May 2019 Ontario

Writing your vows

Candace, on January 11, 2018 at 01:05 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 15
Who has written or will be writing their own vows? How long were they? How long did they take to write? Did you let anyone read/hear them prior to the wedding like your MOH or Mom?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Gawn, on November 14, 2018 at 16:09
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wrote mine. It took me about 2 months of figuring everything out and then tinkering. I didn't have anyone read them over.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be writing my own. My friend did so last August and I loved theirs so prob will be getting her to read mine over.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We actually mixed the traditional in with our personal vows so it’s a bit of both! Maybe your FH would go for that?
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I want to do the same thing! We both have kids and I want my FH and i to write our own vows to each other and the children. I was thinking of giving my stepdaughter a necklace or bracelet and my stepson and my 2 boys can get chains. I'm trying to convince my FH, he'd rather stick to regular vows, but I think this would best much better

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re definitely writing our own. I’ll have to push FH to do it most likely haha! I want to have the MOH or BM check them over to ensure they’re similar length as well.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to write our vows. Its so personal compared to the regular hoopla. My FH is okay with the regular hoopla though. I seen a video though of where the step-parent makes a little pledge to their new child and it brought me to tears. Really need to convince my FH of this too.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it's a good idea, that way you can get honesty feedback and real person practice. Maybe she can help with tips to not cry or get too emotional too
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have some guides for you to check out!

5 Tips for Overcoming Wedding Vows Writer’s Block

6 Major Wedding Vow Don’ts

Wedding Vows 101

20 Questions to Ask Before Writing Your Wedding Vows

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I was thinking of letting my MOH read/hear them to make sure it sounds ok and so I can practice them

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning on writing our vows. It's something more personal and special we think. But we both don't like "public speech" so we plan to keep them, sweet, short and to the point. We will probably both practice them a million time. He will 100% either read them aloud to his best man or just let him read them himself. I will probably practice reading them to all my bridesmaids or just my MOH the morning of the wedding.
    A tip I got for writing them is to remember they are just vows and not your wedding speech. Lots of people go off with their vows but there are somethings that can be left for the speech later.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be writing my own vows. I've begun to write them but I'm not getting married until July.

I've started out by writing snippets of lines that come to me, or points that I want to focus on. I think overall I want to keep it short and sweet really. The longer it is, the more complicated it is and the more I'll end up crying (probably!)

I don't think I will let anyone see them before hand though.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Write whats in your heart despite how long it is. Your thoughts and feelings guide you through the heart. Add something funny about him to give laughter lightening the mood. Hope your day goes smoothly.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have all of that left to figure out... I will definitely be procrastinating till the last minute on that one...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics