Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Thomas
Newbie May 2023 British Columbia

Would it be bad etiquette to serve different tables different banquet menus?

Thomas, on February 26, 2023 at 12:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Hi all,

I wanted to get some advice from this community. To try and accommodate the number of guests at our wedding, my fiancé and I are considering the etiquette of serving our guests different set menus at the reception.
For some background first, I am Chinese and my fiancé is Korean.
Given our different cultures, my fiancé and I had to choose whether our wedding would follow Western, Chinese, or Korean traditions.- Western weddings as we've observed, usually have the ceremony followed by punch and cake, while the reception is private with close friends and family.- Chinese weddings have a morning ceremony followed by a light lunch/refreshments, and there is a break before reconvening for a multi-course dinner banquet. The parents typically pay for the majority of the cost and as a result, they invite many of their friends. The presence of a whole abalone per person is an unwritten must for Chinese banquets, and I've noticed its absence is taken as an insult to the shame of the couple and their parents (don't get me started on how Chinese culture is dysfunctional). - Korean wedding ceremonies also take place in the morning, albeit the reception is a buffet/potluck lunch immediately after and everyone disperses from there. The parents also pay for the expenses and will invite virtually everyone they know and even those they don't to witness their children getting married, and also--to some extent--the abundance of Korean fare being served (don't get my fiancé started on Koreans also having an image to maintain).
My fiancé and I decided upon having our wedding in the afternoon, and setting out some refreshments out for those who are unable to attend our reception at a Chinese restaurant. As a courtesy to our parents, we offered to let them invite up to 20 friends per side to our wedding and reception (so an additional 40 people to the 90 friends we invited). My fiancé and I will be paying the majority of the wedding/reception costs, with my parents offering to help with some of it.
Given the cost per table at the Chinese restaurant, my fiancé raised the idea of serving different menus to our family and distinguished guests, vs coworkers and our parents' friends. I'm unsure if that would be rude or not though, even though I share her concerns about the cost.
The banquet menus are $1000, $1200, $1600, $1800 and $2500 per table of 10, with some variations between each menu.
My fiancé was thinking of the $1600 menu for the head table and our families, while the other tables would be served the $1000 menu; both menus have whole abalone albeit their size and some of the menus' other courses differed. If serving different courses is rude (because someone could look over and see another table had something different), the $1200 and $1600 menus were identical except for the abalone being sliced in the former and whole in the latter... but as Mushu said in Mulan, that would bring dishonor on my family, and dishonor on my cow. (We're Christian and don't personally care, but I know many of our parents' friends hold to those cultural biases and we don't want our families being ridiculed for life because we didn't serve a whole snail...)
What are your thoughts?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on March 1, 2023 at 14:47
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just don't like the idea of giving different people different tiers of meals. It's one thing if it's done western style where people choose their meal based on preference but to have it forced on them is a different story. You're telling everyone that there are two tiers of guests.

You would also be surprised at how often friends give bigger cash gifts then uncles and aunts so you can't use the gift as a measuring stick for who deserves the "richer" meal.

And no, you don't get the same amount via sliced abalone as you would a whole abalone. And most restaurants don't use canned, they use dried abalones and make their own sauce/broth.

• Thomas
    Newbie May 2023 British Columbia
    Thomas ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, it's totally overrated. Unfortunately, some of the 'old' people who will lament the lack of a whole abalone will be my relatives (aunts and uncles), whom I know from recent weddings will give us a considerable monetary gift towards our marriage. And I definitely do want to honour and show gratitude to my family, but we aren't able to do so for everyone in attendance.
    Do you think it's a big deal we gave our family whole abalone, while all other guests got sliced? The menu is the exact same otherwise and everyone gets the same amount of abalone, except there's an additional $40/head to 'upgrade' to a whole one. The sliced exists because the critters split in their canned broth which was unsuitable for whole presentation.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally would feel cheated out if I was your guests and saw other people having a different meal then me. I would keep everyone the same
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to say everyone should get the same meal as the head table. It would be considered bad etiquette for sure.

I feel like it would be hard to plan what table gets what meals and people may be offended by each person getting a different menu. unless you have everyone choose what they want from each menu. I don't know I would keep it all the same.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree, I can't help but think it will somehow be obvious that you've given other tables a less expensive menu and if I were a guest, I would be very stumped as to why as I've never experienced something like that before. At the end of the day, do what you can stand by the best and feel confident in and right about however just as an outsider - I would be confused then possibly a little offended.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm Chinese and you take the Chinese "must-haves" too literally. I've been to plenty of Chinese weddings where I didn't get a whole abalone. Sure, you might get a few old people silently complain about how "cheap" it is (especially if they're just friends of family) but they're usually the people who don't even dress up properly, won't shut up during the dance and speeches, participate in none of the games, and leave as soon as dinner service is over anyway. They add nothing to the party and caring for what they want is not worth your mental energy. If you're paying for the wedding, stand your ground. Also, abalone is overrated just like shark fin soup.

Most importantly, DO NOT offer your guests a different menu than the head table. That is beyond tacky and horrible etiquette. Imagine inviting friends to your house for dinner and give them meat balls while you give yourself a nice juicy steak that you eat in front of them. Now imagine if you're sitting at a head table ala Chinese banquet and the vibe will come off as you being an emperor eating in front of peasants. DON'T DO IT. If you can't afford for all your guests to eat what you eat, shrink the wedding.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I had to choose between having different menus for different people I would just not invite them. If they aren't important enough to be treated as a distinguished guest then they just aren't important enough to be there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics