Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Newbie January 2020 Ontario

Winter Wedding over Summer Wedding!!!

Nellie, on November 25, 2019 at 22:53 Posted in DIY 0 11

Hey, I am a bride-to-be and new to this forum. I'm not someone who certainly loves winter, but I am in love with the season for a wedding. Wouldn't it be great to have a wedding covered with snow all around you? I love the idea of a big fur wedding cape with sparkly, horses, and carriage rides. For me, it's something to look forward to in the winter. I can think of many places to go (that are warm and sandy) for anniversaries. But my fiancee thinks otherwise! We already have chosen a wedding venue in Vaughan. That is the only thing we agreed on. We decided to have the wedding on short notice, and hence we had to plan everything in a rush. Luckily we got an opening at the wedding venue in January, therefore, I decided to have a winter wedding. But my fiancee would prefer to have it in summer, maybe towards the end of May. What are your thoughts on a winter wedding? Isn't it cool?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Nellie, on December 26, 2019 at 03:32
  • N
    Newbie January 2020 Ontario
    Nellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks, everyone!

That is a lot of great suggestions from all of you. My fiancee and I have finally decided to go forward with a summer wedding!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally prefer summer weddings. my friend did a winter wedding and we all had no jackets ffor her photos and we were freezing. then the brides face was all red from it being so cold outside and there were piles of snow so we couldnt stand in certain areas cuz we had heels on.

• Z
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a person who has their birthday around the time of your wedding, you should be cognizant of winter storms. I've had so many cancelled birthdays in my life that I've started a tradition where i have a "half birthday" on June 21 just so I can have friends over.

However, if the weather is gorgeous, then I also think it would be crazy elegant with the warm capes and snow everywhere (I am also an avid skiier with my husband). Perhaps try to aim for a late fall wedding? I believe discounted rates start in October/November, and you might get some snow in November/December.

• Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always wanted a summer wedding but I'm having a winter wedding because we are trying to get pregnant right after lol.

So pros and cons I've found of planning a winter wedding:

Pros

1) Super easy to book vendors - we have a three month engagement and every vendor we asked was free.

2) Prices especially for venues are about 75% of the summer price.

3) If you want to keep your guest list down, people are less likely to travel in the winter.

Cons

1) I'm not looking forward to doing photographs outside due to the cold. Also if you want pictures of nature like flowers/grass/trees unlikely to get this in winter depending on where you live.

2) Sun sets super early, which may affect your photographs depending on when you want to take them.

• Judice
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Judice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Super biased here since I just had my wedding in the winter.

Winter weddings can be super elegant and intimate since you'll be indoors and such. You'll have to prepare for photos with capes and such of you're doing them outdoors so that you won't get cold.
    An excellent solution I came up with for my bridesmaids is that they all wore suits and then no one was cold and they looked super sharp. I personally prefer the summer but a winter wedding was magical.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am probably the most biased person to ask because I am having a winter wedding and have wanted one since I was a child and I probably am the biggest fan of winter and snow that there is. My FH didn't really care to much about the season of the wedding, but he veto'd summer because of the heat and because his dad's side of the family is big on cottaging and they would all prefer we don't take away a cottaging weekend from them by having our wedding in the summer.

One of the biggest bonuses of a winter wedding is you get some very good discounts because it's off season. You wedding also may stand out more from others because winter weddings are more uncommon so not only will your outdoor photos differ from others, but for your guests it's more likely to have been a while since they've gone to a wedding so your wedding is refreshing and less likely to get compared to others as your guests are less likely to have within the last month gone to another wedding.

Now, you are right about bad weather and travel, that's the biggest down side. i know for us we highly encouraged, and succeeded in having our parents, siblings, grandmas and wedding party stay the night before in a hotel down the street from the venue so at the very least they will make it. If you're worried about vendor travel try to look into vendors that are in close proximity to your venue. Our florist is right down the street from our venue and our cake baker is only about a ten minute drive away from our venue.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I love winter all around. It was my #1 choice for the season of our wedding - but my Husband veto'd it. Then I veto'd summer because ew - too hot!

I would say that even though it seems so much more magical, if your FH says he doesn't like it then I would say to look into the other 3 seasons.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love Chateau de Jardin! It's such a lovely hall - really beautiful.

I'm not a winter person to begin with, so I feel like I'm really really biased in my opinion. However, having attended a few winter weddings, I can tell you that snow storms are really common. Our cousin had her wedding last January, which was beautiful, however, it was freezing cold and everyone was wearing their boots - so literally, in the wedding pictures guests are wearing their boots. I looked terrible haha.

Second, lots of people didn't end up coming to the wedding that were going to because of the winter storm. So they had to end up paying for plates that no one ate.

I also think people left the wedding earlier because driving home in a winter wonderland is pretty to look at but a difficult drive.

I think weather is really the driving factor as to why I wouldn't have my own wedding in the winter. But, like I said, I'm also biased.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance works in snow removal, so a winter wedding was not possible for us. I think they can be beautiful if the weather cooperates. My sister in law got married on new years eve and it snowed on the way to the church, very beautiful.

We chose fall personally because it's our favourite season, but I'm also not really a fan of a summer wedding, its too hot and sticky and a lot of venues around us don't have AC

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of a winter wedding, but I'd be a bit worried about a few things.

Definite con: potential snow storms. Rain in May won't cancel your wedding but a snow storm could affect vendors and guests from making it to your big day.
    Photos outside in either season could be hit or miss. If you don't get snow you've got a drab background, but in May you might get drenched by spring rains (cute umbrella photos though!)
    If you're planning a short engagement you might not find a venue/photographer etc in May as other weddings would have been booked months ago.
    I hope I didn't rain too hard on your parade!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting married February (2021) I love everything about the plans we have for our winter wedding. I literally felt like I was reading a post I could have written when I read this lol. Anniversaries in warm destinations, horse and carriage ride for our first look, sparkles and glitter everywhere. I love that it won't be too hot. I feel terrible for men in suits at summer weddings. I am so excited for my winter wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics