Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Winter Wedding Cocktail "hour"

Hank, on February 19, 2020 at 16:45 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12

Anyone doing a winter wedding (or any wedding where ceremony and reception takes place in the same venue)? Curious when your ceremony time and when cocktail hour is?

I was thinking:

3:30pm - ceremony

4:00pm - group photos

4:30pm - bride and groom go out for photos, pee break for guests, food station is set up

5:00pm - cocktail hour, bar opens, passed appetizers served, bride and groom are back for receiving line

6:00pm - entrance into the ball room

We're in the GTA and the sun sets around 4:45 during the time of year we're having our wedding so I want to take advantage of golden hour.

Bride is saying for weddings where ceremony and reception is the same spot, cocktail hour starts immediately after the recessional and dinner service beginning an hour after. Anything longer than an hour is considered dragging and guests could get bored. Consensus among the various boards and communities also suggests that. So bride thinks we should either jump away for photos and let that be cocktail hour, starting dinner at 5pm or delay our ceremony by an hour or two and start dinner at 6pm or 7pm. I don't want to start dinner at 5pm. It's too early for most of my guests. And I also don't want to miss out on the golden hour. In the event we don't get any snow, it's our only chance of getting really nice photos outdoors.

In pretty much every wedding I've been to, the bride and groom takes photos with ceremony attendees for a good half hour before moving onto other festivities, including a full hour of cocktail. Granted, majority of these required travel time in between their ceremony and reception. I have been to a few with the two events in the same venue and the couple timed it so that photo taking time is part of their cocktail hour but they had late ceremonies and the dinner service started at 7pm. I've also been where photo/cocktail time mashed together into a 2+hr affair (we won't be doing that).

I personally don't consider cocktail to start immediately after the recessional since we're spending time taking photos with the group and the bar won't be open. In my plan, we do technically have a 1.5 hour gap between the group photos and the entrance but we also have a food station and passed appies with a running bar for the latter hour.

What do you think?

I also know a lot of couples allocate an hour for photos but I feel like half an hour is enough for us outside during the winter.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Desiree, on February 20, 2020 at 09:37
  • Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having everything under the same roof and are timeline is 4:00 ceremony 4:30-5:30 cocktail hour reception starts at 5:30
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Guessing you're doing a first look?

I'm refusing a first look. I actually want to be surprised when she walks down the aisle. And if I'm an emotional mess then so be it! hahaha Smiley laugh

• S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be having a winter wedding
    .ceremony is at 4:30. Finishes at 5. Cocktails at 5 to 6 ( we will be getting photos at this time) enter reception space at 6. Dinner served around 630.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm avoiding all of this by doing a first look. I'm hoping to have all family shots, bridal party shots and first look pictures done before. Our ceremony will be set for 4:30 (knowing weddings never start right on time) probably closer to 4:45 done by five. Do a few guests shots after ceremony if they wish head to reception area for cocktails. We'll have a photobooth set up as well as photographer taking pictures during cocktail hour. Dinner at 6:30-7 quick speeches just before. After dinner first dance and then we're ready to let loose and party.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, it was a typo. I mean 1.5hr gap between ceremony and DINNER reception, not cocktail.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that is a little too long considering they are located at the same spot. Like I said earlier, our cocktail hour begins right after ceremony. I would feel weird standing around waiting for over an hour.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds like we're doing something similar, where our cocktail reception is lasting 1.5 hours. I guess I'm just calling that first 30 minutes a pee break since my guests will down a cup of hot coffee or tea as they arrive before the ceremony Smiley xd

The bride does think a 1.5hr gap between ceremony and cocktail is too long though and that we should keep it to one hour max.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm...I always thought taking group shots with the ceremony guests after the recessional is a regular thing but based on the replies here I guess not. Every wedding where I've attended the ceremony, we always sat tight and waited our turn for group photos (ie high school friends photo, university friends photo, coworkers photo etc).

I guess we could technically start cocktail hour at 4:30 but it always feel like it takes forever to get out of the ceremony hall and wait in line for a bathroom break. Though 5:30pm still feels early for dinner.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The ceremony starts at 3:30 and 4pm is where we take photos with the guests. So we're not running off and leaving them there until closer to 4:15/4:30 or so and at this point, the caterer will have a food station come out.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our cocktail hour starts right after ceremony. So ceremony at 4pm cocktail is from 430pm, to 6pm. During the cocktail hour is newlywed photos then other photos.

Then 6pm begin seating for dinner, then come the introductions and any special dances you like. 630 first course is served. Dance floor will open after that. Late night station 11pm. Newlywed send off 1:00 am.

Also, yes 30 minutes is fine. It is all up to the fact of how many photos you want in the end.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would worry about the gap after the ceremony and before cocktail hour. I've always thought that cocktail hour was to entertain guests while the bride and groom went for photos and to fill the gap between the ceremony and dinner. Even if some guests are in the photos I would have cocktail hour start as soon after the ceremony as possible, even if it's just drinks and light apps while things are set up.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having my ceremony and reception in the same place as well. My only question is what are your guests going to go from 3:30 till 5 if they don’t need to go anywhere?
    How we’re getting around pictures is we’re doing family and party photos after the first look and before the ceremony so we have time for our solo photos (especially with how early it gets dark). Our guests go for cocktails right after the ceremony and were able To join them shortly after.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics