Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie September 2021 Ontario

Wine for open bar

Chelsea, on August 8, 2021 at 15:21 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
Trying to figure out my open bar. Having the hardest time figuring out a red and white wine for the guests.

Not trying to break the bank but also have some 'winos' so don't wanna feed them pure sugar.

Does anyone have any ideas of some good ones?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Derek, on August 26, 2021 at 03:58
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think your safest bet, as far as a red, would be a shiraz, merlot or cabernet sauvignon. Australia has some of the best of these wines - even a shiraz/cabernet blend can be amazing. As far as a white, I think other posters had the right idea - an Australian or South African Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio are both excellent choices.
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh I see! I'm no wine expert but I know for sauvignon blanc anything from Australia is usually really nice. For cab sauv, my mom and my mother in law are big fans of McManis, 19 crimes and bread + butter. Not sure on prices though!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Chelsea,
    We had a gift card to a wine store. So my fiancé decided to make wine to keep for when we move in together. However, he later had an idea to make wine for our wedding from the wine store where we bottled it on our own. So we choose Pinot Grigio and Shiraz, I believe both Australian.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Holy crap just looked at the sugar content of them. Had no idea 3 of those were that high 😅😅😅 I'm type 1 diabetic. Glad I know now LOL.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did Pelee Island wines as we had to but you get custom labels with them if you order a certain amount!! We did the Baco Noir and Lola Pinot Grigio - they were hits. Otherwise, I know none of these are the style you're thinking but these wines are fantastic and shockingly low prices (we know tons of people who love them too):
    Toro Bravo Tempranillo Merlot
    Montalto Pinot Grigio
  • C
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I supply my own . Just having a tiring time trying to please everyone.
    I know that I'm probably going to choose a cab sauv and a sauvignon blanc . it's finding the right ones . Any recommendations?
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can't speak for everyone but all the people I know who drink red like cabernet sauvingnon. A common house red is merlot but I don't know many people that prefer it over other reds. As for white, I think pinot grigio is a popular choice that wouldn't break the bank!

• Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For whites, a Pinot Grigio or a Pinot Gris pair well with a lot of things so they would likely please most people! We are providing one red and one white and we are doing Astica for both (which isn’t a Pinot actually but 🤷‍♀️) because most people we know like it and it’s reasonably priced.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want dry wines, just look for those that are low in sugar. Whenever you're at the LCBO, you'll see what the sugar level is on the price tab. Most reds will be in the dry side so you'll be fine but for whites, stay away from moscatos if you don't want sweet. Personally I don't like dry white wines because they end up tasting really acidic. If I want a dry wine, I'd for a red and I go for a white when I want something with a bit of sweetness. Gewurztraminer is a decent choice that won't taste sour but not overly sugary, averging 15-20g or sugar per litre of wine.

Are you buying wine from outside and bringing it in to your venue or are you picking off a list of wines from your caterer/venue? Based on my experience, venues typically only carry chardonnay. sauvignon blanc, and pinot grigio for whites, neither of which is that sweet. Venues sometimes carry rieslings as well and depending on the brand can be dry to off-dry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics