Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Veronica
Super October 2021 Alberta

Wine Down Wednesdays!

Veronica, on June 3, 2020 at 10:54 Posted in Wedding reception 1 19

Hello Wedding Wire Friends!

Well before FH and I were engaged, we knew that our wedding would be centred around amazing food and drink. We are extreme foodies after all! So the start was picking out a venue that would serve the amazing food and drink! Cue Bow Valley Ranche.

We will start by serving up a glamorous cocktail hour complete with butlered d'oeuvres and bubbly! Following will be a 4 course dinner (soup, salad, entree and dessert!) with a Pinot Grigio and Cabernet Sauvignon wine to go with. The evening will end with a Poutine Bar for the late night snack. Throughout the evening we will feature a His Beer and Her Cocktail. FH is importing his favourite German beer (I even am going to surprise him with a traditional wedding stein to drink out of) and our venue created a Fall inspired Apple Brandy cocktail for me.

How about you? What does your food and beverage plans look like? Classic plated dinner? Food Trucks? What about signature drinks, or did you have your own wine made?

Any questions about catering? Ask away!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsey, on May 8, 2021 at 00:09
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hoping to make our own wine to have on the tables - a red, white, and fruit. We're also going to be doing a bubbly bar with sparkling wine and fresh fruit to add in. Unsure on our food details as of yet, but it will be a buffet meal catered by one of our favourite local restaurants.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mmmm that sounds amazing!!! we are having a buffet style indian food, with frennch desserts and a midnight buffet table !!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're looking at our menu and most apps look like they'll be fine because they're either on sticks or it's something that the server can use a set of small tongs (like the ones for ice buckets) to pick up and drop into someone's hand without any contact. It's too bad because their buffet-style selection apps look so cool. Options like antipasti, fry and mash potato bar, and smoked salmon station made our mouths water. One way to take the sting off losing these items is the mindset that we probably wouldn't have even touched any of those things due to being busy taking photos during cocktail hour or greeting guests Smiley xd

Our venue allows us to bring in sweets for a late night table so we're going to bring something individually wrapped. Here's hoping none of our guests are jerks and puts something back after they unwrapped it! Smiley atonished

For the savory, we may opt for a carving station like a roast beef or ham. It might seem like overkill, especially after a four course dinner but it might end up saving us some money because those things are charged by the whole roast whereas things like pizzas and grilled cheese are charged by person/piece. If we run out, then we run out but if not, I'd much rather have leftover beef and ham than pizza Smiley laugh

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Smiley shame We're super excited about our dinner choice

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friend had mini grilled cheese as her snack, and it was SO SO GOOD. Everyone loved it, brings out the inner child haha.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh a wine tasting at your wedding that is so neat! Love it. Also Butternut Squash Ravioli is a weakness of mine. Amazing menu.

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are DELICIOUS! I had them for the first time a couple years ago and I just loved them.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since my fiance and I are getting married at a winery, we are having a wine tasting after the ceremony with 4 wines to choose from!

Then we will be having cocktail hour with full bar options. Including all of their wine from the winery.

The winery is providing our entire dinner. We have decided on a buffet. Which will include Assortment of bread, Wild Arugula Salad, Garden Green Salad, Grilled Vegetables, Garden Vegetables, Char-Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Roasted Sablefish, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Potatoes & Mini Deserts

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ooo this discussion is making my mouth water!! Our plans are pretty standard. We’re doing passed apps, a three course plated meal (salad / chicken, fish, or vegan entree / dessert) and late night grub. I think we may have to revisit our late night selections in light of covid. We were initially planning to do something platter based like pizza or nachos. Given the current state of affairs, I think a grab and go snack i.e. sliders or mini grilled cheeses would be more appropriate.

We’re also springing for an open bar but we’re gonna stick to the basics - domestic beer, a few red and white wines (I’m thinking a cab sav, merlot, Sauvignon blanc, and Pinot Grigio) and basic spirits. Sadly our venue doesn’t offer per person bar pricing - the venues that do are few and far between in N.S.! So since we’ll be paying based on consumption we’re gonna stick to basics 😂 If anybody wants something more elaborate they’re absolutely free to purchase it!!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha oh dear Smiley sad Hopefully you can go to a tasting soon!

So cool about the apple blossoms, that will look neat.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omgoodness! This sounds like the most delicious dinner, amazing!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I think the midnight idea is so clever...when I first heard you mention it, I said to FH that if we end up having to postpone the big reception piece, then I want to do that next year as well Smiley winking

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is fair regarding the self serve cocktail hour - I was wondering about how served/passed hors d'oeuvres and if that will still be ok, I guess it is if the server hands it directly to our guests ?

I love the idea of hot chocolate at winter wedding! With marshmallows Smiley winking

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Apple Cinnamon Mimosa....omgoodness yum!!!!!!!

This all sounds amazing.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were supposed to go yo our venue for our tasting April 1st....jokes on us right lol? However, we will have a huge antipasto display for cocktail hour, salad, pasta, veggies, chicken, beef, rice and potatoes will be family style. Our dessert will be apple blossoms which I love. Our late night is pouting, pizzas and fruit display with our cake and candy bar. We have an 8 hour open bar and I believe we have our choice between a few signature drinks but since our tasting was canceled I'm not sure what they are. Hopefully we can get back to everything soon.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds amazing!

We are doing same thing with our butlered d'oeuvreS. We will be doing a full open (deluxe) bar along with his and hers drinks. We’ll do champagne toast and continuous red and white wine on tables throughout the night. First course is antipasto (or salad not sure yet) followed by pasta, dual entree (steak and chicken) and a seafood platter (seafood platter is per table), followed by dessert and wedding cake. We’ll also have a late night station which will include 3 selections (we haven’t fully made our selections yet haha).
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're skipping a full meal, but keeping passed apps. My office has used our venue for holiday parties so I had a sneak peak at the menu that way. I'm so excited for their stuffed mushrooms 🤤

I love the idea of doing a signature drink! And we're having a midnight countdown to our anniversary so I'd love to add a champagne toast.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a 6 hour open bar that we can divide up between cocktails and dancing. We haven't decided what drinks to feature yet but since we're doing a winter wedding, we're hoping for some kind of spiked hot chocolate for arrival and some kind of bubbly for the toast. Dinner is served with a Sangiovese and Chardonnay (not sure which brand though).

We originally wanted antipasti for our cocktail hour but due to covid, we're shying away from anything self-served/buffet and likely going with some kind of passed hors d'oeuvres.

For the reception, it will be a 3-4 course plated dinner (we haven't done the tasting yet so we'll see what we like). The entree will likely consist of a beef, chicken, fish or vegan option and comes with a side of starch and vegetables that we will choose after the tasting. We'll have some kind of late night table of savory and sweet but trying to figure out how to do it re: self serving.

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our guests will have 1.5 hours with open bar, hot (spiked) apple cidar and d'oeuvres.

We are having a classic plated dinner - we will choose the appetizer, our guests will have 3 options to choose from for dinner and then we will choose our dessert. It was important to us for our guests to decide at that time what they are eating so at least they will have choices. Our late night bar is still undecided (poutine or flatbread) and then we are also having a small cake with cupcakes and cake pops!

All tables will have white and red wine on them - our venue has a specific wine they use so i'm not 100% sure on the label.

I love the signature drink idea and I believe our venue is open to this idea as well.

For Hers - apple cinnamon mimosa

For Him - most likely Guinness as it is his favorite beer

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics