Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Will you do any pre-marriage counseling? If you did, do you recommend it?

Joey, on August 28, 2017 at 10:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 5

Let's talk about marriage counseling. Many officiants and religious organizations recommend, or even require, some type of pre-marriage counseling before they will perform your ceremony. The goal is not to critique your relationship or find fault in it, but rather to help you practice good communication and conflict resolution skills, set expectations that are reasonable, talk through fears or stresses, and prepare you to have a long, wonderful marriage.

Personally, I think counseling is always a great thing even for the happiest and healthiest of people and relationships, but I want to hear from you. If you did any pre-marriage counseling, how did you find it? Was it helpful? Was it enjoyable? If you're thinking about doing it, tell us what's on your mind about it.

If you need a prompt for your own pre-marriage talks, here are 7 things to discuss before you are ma

If you need a prompt for your own pre-marriage talks, here are 7 very important things to discuss before you are married.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Kacy, on August 30, 2017 at 19:30
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great topic! And love the discussions referred to in the link you provided! Thanks for talking about this, I think it can be very helpful and think that can counselling usually be beneficial. Both partners do need to be on board for sure; in my case, my FH would not see the point or think it's necessary.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think my initial post made it clear that I'm a huge fan so this won't come as a surprise, but we did pre-marriage counseling and absolutely loved it. We didn't feel we needed it and didn't have any troubles in our relationship but it was great to spend the time together thinking about our future and talking about our relationship. I highly recommend it to anyone who is on the fence.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not having any pre-marriage counselling. We are not getting married in a church so it is not a requirement and also our officiant never mentioned anything.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married at our church and it was a requirement. Some sessions were a bit harsher than others and we got rather annoyed with the head pastor. But overall, it actually really helped us recognize our issues with each other and we were able to communicate better about the problems to each other. However, I definitely didn't want to do the counselling because there were videos we had to watch and homework... not my thing by any means!

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not doing counseling as we don't need it and also we aren't getting married at a church so it is not required

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics