Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Will you change your last name?

Joey, on April 28, 2021 at 15:48 Posted in Just married 0 6
Saved

Do you plan to take your partner's last name? Will they take yours? Will you each keep your own? Will you hyphenate both names? Or will you make up a new one of your own?

Will you change your last name? 1

Tangled & Twisted in Hatchet Lake

I'll change my name

70%

21 votes

My partner will change

0%

0 votes

We'll both change names

0%

0 votes

Neither of us will change

27%

8 votes

6 Comments

Latest activity by Kathy, on July 27, 2021 at 19:00
  • Kathy
    Curious June 2022 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute

I’ve chosen to keep my own name. I’ll be 54 by the time we get married so I feel I’ve been my maiden name longer than I will be a married name. My fiancé is totally fine with it.

• Stacey TC
    Featured August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey TC ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Thanks for the message Smiley heart

I've thought of the idea of creating a whole new name, I never considered combining two words that would have great meaning to us. I'll have to discuss with him. Thank you for sharing!

• Victoria
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

That was so disheartening to read that you have been judged and lost out on opportunities because of your surname; however, it's a pretty empowering decision that you get to CHOOSE to keep or in your case change your last name.

I do know a couple that made up their own last name. No close resemblance to either's surname. I believe they combined two words. The meaning behind the two words were a symbolism of their unity as a couple. I thought that was so unique and beautiful.

• Tunisha
    Featured October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    I will actually hyphenate my name.
    My fiancé is not really a fan of that, but this is what I choose. He is worried that people will address me by now surname instead of his. 😂
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    My husband did change his last name as he chose to take it with pride. I was shocked yet happy too.
  • Stacey TC
    Featured August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey TC ·
    • Dispute

I'm taking his name. For most of my life I always thought I'd keep my name, but I have bad association with my surname and bad experiences because it's quite uncommon in my area and in my 20s I had people judge me based off of relatives and I found out years later I lost jobs and other opportunities because of my surname. I only use it at work and legally.

Thought of a new surname or a combo name but in almost 8 years we haven't been able to come up with anything.

and it'll be Ms. not Mrs. Has been Ms. since I was 16, I'll be glad to be married but I don't need to announce my singleness or otherwise by my honourific.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics