Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Who normally plans the engagement party?

Jen, on June 10, 2017 at 00:52 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

Who does this? Is it weird if the bride and groom plan it? Who do you normally invite to it? Does it have to be fancy? We are honestly considering planning one of our own as we've had all of the fun and excitement sucked out of wedding planning from a certain family member and are looking for ways to make this exciting again for the both of us.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Rekramer, on June 27, 2017 at 09:54
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Doing it yourself is totally normal! The way I see it, it goes like this, the people organizing are the people who get to set the guest list. So if parents throw it, they usually invite their friends and family. But if you throw it, you invite yours. And it can be as casual or as fancy as you want! I think BBQs are popular. They're not exactly my style so I'd probably hire a bouncy castle and make a cookie dough bar, but that's just me.

• Julie
    Newbie August 2017 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Typically it's the bride's family who plans it but these days it doesn't really matter who plans what anymore. I planned my engagement party with my parents and sister. We went to a fancy Italian buffet restaurant that gave us a private area to have our party. We only invited close family and friends. Keeping it more intimate is a great way to make sure that everyone gets to mingle, relax, have fun, and eat lots of food! The restaurant had soft drinks, water, and wine going around. We bought a small cake because we knew most people would be totally full afterwards. It's also a great time to give out save the dates.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Chelsey! I like the idea of having it above a restaurant. We were thinking something very simple-- dinner at the restaurant and drinks then have some people over at our place afterwards to continue celebrating if they would like. We aren't big drinkers and don't go out often so we were thinking this is the easiest and most simplistic way for us to celebrate our engagement.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm aware of this. We haven't been including anybody in the planning process except for when needed (i.e. Picking the attire for the wedding party, hair and makeup options, etc.). It's been just the two of us all along.

• Chelsey
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning the engagement party, the groom and I. We are doing it above a restaurant its a loft space you can rent out. We are inviting close friends and family. Don't need to invite distant cousins or grandparents. Our engagement party is going to be around 70 people and the wedding is about 160, so a little less than half.

It can be as fancy or as minimal as you want. Were doing buffet style with dancing on the other half of the room.

Just have fun with it, and hopefully your thoughts are considered because its yours and the grooms magical day Smiley smile

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's tradition that the brides parents pay and plan for it, but who sticks to those old traditions these days Smiley tongue We planned and paid for our own engagement party and it was awesome! Such a great way to celebrate and let loose with everyone.

• Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Typically, the bride's family plans the engagement party, especially in my cultural background.

I made mine fancy. I chose a restaurant and did lunch on a Sunday for a better price. Had a sweets table and mini favours. Got a cake professionally made. I've seen people do backyard picnics. It's whatever you like.

As a side note -- yes, wedding planning sucks. Everyone has an opinion. My suggestion is for certain things, like decor for e.g., I only went with my fiance. You risk offending people sometimes with your choices, but there are certain wedding decisions that don't require a lot of people.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't see why you can't plan it yourselves. I think you can invite anyone you would like there to celebrate your engagement.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We planned our own. Everyone has different opinions on etiquette and whom to invite. We invited everyone that would be invited to the wedding. It was an amazing time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics