Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Where’s your ceremony?

Kelsie, on October 20, 2020 at 12:31 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 7
Hi everyone!

Over the weekend, my FH and I had a discussion about our ceremony and even though we are being cautiously optimistic, we hope we won’t have to change our ceremony.
My FH is baptized catholic, as such we are having our ceremony at his church. I’m not religious myself but for some reason have always envisioned having my ceremony take place there. We are not able to write our own vows, and obviously the undertones of the readings are religious but our priest really understood my not being religious and was extremely non judgmental. So I’m actually so happy we chose to have our ceremony at the church.
Tell me about your ceremony! Is it at a church? Outside? At your reception venue? How did you come to pick this location?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on November 6, 2020 at 11:40
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an outdoor wedding with no décor as the setting as beautiful and huge plants around the railing of the lake view. The ceremony itself was on a lower level where guests could watch from above on the grass area. Picture to show.

Its good your priest does is understanding about your situation with being non catholic and being respectful to your FH views. Its a bit tough to not write your own vows though its nice to have something personal to say.

Where’s your ceremony? 1

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't getting married in a church. We're getting married at a winery in BC. Even though we're both catholic, we both didn't want to get married in a church. The winery is also holding our reception which is a bonus. That way we're in one place all day. We decided on this location because it's been a childhood dream of mine to be married at this amazing winery. We're getting married in my childhood city of Kelowna BC

Where’s your ceremony? 2

Where’s your ceremony? 3

• Nicole
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got married at a church! I actually wanted to get married outside and my husband wanted to get married at a church. Luckily, we found a church that had a big grotto where outdoor masses are occasionally held. It was the perfect venue however the church changed their mind and we were told we can't do the outdoor ceremony after all. We did first look photos at the grotto though so I'm happy.

So we went ahead with the church wedding anyway and it was perfect. The moment where I stood outside the church doors alone, waiting for those doors to open, was the most nerve-wracking moment of the day but a memory that I will cherish! We did the traditional vows as well but we actually liked the traditional 'in sickness and in health' so we didn't mind not being able to make our own.
    I was concerned at first that it would be too long but it wasn't. And we also didn't have to decorate inside because the church was beautiful as it is. Enjoy your big day, it will be amazing!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a secular wedding in the winter and our ceremony will be in the same venue as our reception to minimize travel between locations during weather that's bad for driving.

We've visited many other places where if you want to keep the ceremony on-site, you have to conduct it in the lobby or in your reception hall that you would flip before dinner, or in some cases book an additional hall in the facility for a fee. We really lucked out because a lot of halls allow multiple weddings at the same time but our venue only takes on one client per day so every space in the facility is ours to use. They have so many rooms that we're able to spread out our events without worrying about fixing it up for the next event, which allows for seamless flow.

We're debating between two rooms for the ceremony. One looks like a typical chapel room that's long with a balcony above the alter that allows the photographer some cool shots. The other is more weirdly shaped that's typically used for small banquets and special event functions but they have floor to ceiling windows that cool be a cool backdrop. We'll decide when the time comes depending on how many people we're allowed.

• Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve always wanted an indoor ceremony because the weather stresses me out way too much but I also wanted my ceremony and reception in the same space, I don’t love the idea of having guests traveling from one place to another. I’ve always pictured an industrial wedding, Edison lights, candles, concrete floors, brick - I found the perfect venue but Covid kind of screwed that up for me as the 2021 season was reserved for 2020 brides. So I found another venue, Stratford Country Club - not the total took I wanted so I just changed up my decor to make it happen! I’m certain it’ll turn out just how I’ve pictured it, can’t wait for next October!!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ever since I was a kid I knew I wanted to have an outdoor ceremony. So we're getting married in FH's parent's back yard (it's also the home that FH grew up in). We thought about having the reception there too, but we were worried about weather, so while it's a pain in the butt to go from one venue to another we felt it was just the safer way to go. It's also only a five minute drive from one to the other too.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We rented a room for ceremony at our venue. It was super important, since it is a winter wedding, to make everything easy for our guests. We could have used the same room for a lot cheaper but once the ceremony is over it would be at least 2 hours before we could use the room again. We rented the other room so as soon as ceremony is over our guests, FH and I will head down the hall and start the reception. We will have a first look and all wedding party pics done before ceremony. The cocktail hour we can get any extended family pictures that anyone could want. We want really to have as little stress as possible.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics