Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Devoted December 2021 Ontario

When to start looking for a wedding dress?

Vanessa, on November 27, 2019 at 19:52 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10
Hello everyone. When is a good time to start wedding dress shopping? We are getting married December 2020 - I’m completely unsure about how long dresses take to come in so just looking for advice on when to start looking.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kimberly, on November 28, 2019 at 21:15
  • Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start now! if your ordering it can take 6-8 months to get in and then you still might need alterations which if you have to rush it will cost you $$$.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Anytime!!! i would def make some apts and go try on stuff!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd start now, around the 1 year mark! Shops can take anywhere from 6-8+ months to order dresses in! Mine came in 4 months, but I was originally told 6 months.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1 year is the rough mark for getting a dress in order to make sure you will get it in time with room for alterations. Dresses can take anywhere from just over a year to 4 months to get in.

My dress was ordered at the 11 month mark and although it only took 5 months to come in - when it did it had a tear in it so they had to reorder it!! Glad I gave enough time between ordering and the wedding so I wasn't stuck with a ripped dress!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now!! I bought my dress a year before the big day!!
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought mine 11 months before the wedding and I got it after 6 weeks. It was insane. Not sure how that happened, it must've been a ready stock or something. I thought it will be much longer than that. But it's still better to start shopping around a year before, as it production takes 6-8 months and alterations at least 2 monthsSmiley smile
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you aren't buying a sample from the shop or a sample sale I would start looking soon. It might take some time to find THE dress, so it's better to start a little early.

It would likely be easier to get your girls together in January or February, but I would check with them about their schedule and make an appointment sooner rather than later. Bridal appointments fill up fast!
    I'm getting married in October, and I started looking in late October. I found my dress at the first of three stores I had made appointments at and brought it home that day. If I hadn't bought a sample I wouldn't get my dress until April-ish and the seamstress I love would have been too busy to do all my alterations during her peak prom and wedding season.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think anytime now would be a good time to start. Have fun shopping.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I purchased my dress 11 months before the wedding and it came in 6 months later. I'd say you're good to start shopping now so that you have some buffer room to look around and find the right one. 😊
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married next July and I got my dress in February 2019. So a year and 5 months before. It took about 5 months to come in but they had originally told me 6 months.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics