Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Super September 2022 Alberta

When to do the first dance?

Alyx, on February 7, 2022 at 22:48 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
I planned on doing the first dance after our grand entrance so everyone is seated and in the room.
But my fiancé thinks it’s awkward lol
What are you guys doing first dance before or after dinner ?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Maggnard-Smanta, on April 4, 2022 at 13:05
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We talked about having our first dance right after the grand entrance. I think it's nice since everyone is already paying attention to both of you after the bridal party entered.

We have a father/daughter dance and mother/son dance so I would do those during the evening or maybe both after our first dance.

It also depends on your schedule during your evening and your photographers/videographers. If they plan on capturing those moments in your timeline.

Either way, your first idea is good!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hubby and I did our first dance after the grand entrance. We entered and then sat down then the emcee calls us up for our dance.
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think our first dance will be after dinner, as we are arriving at the venue later in the day (following photos, of course) and we anticipate everyone will be wanting to eat.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance was scheduled for the first thing to happen after the bollywood entrance though it was pushed back to midnight not to be be taped on video.

Its best when you do enter and capture the moment.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I recommend doing it right after the grand entrance while your bridal party is still on their feet and everyone is standing up energized from the entrance.

I personally find it way more awkward that no one is looking at you while you dance. It's a moment that's displayed so publicly that not having people look at you while present would be so weird. The risk of having the dance anytime after food is served is that no one will pay attention to you because they'll be busy eating. Even if you go after plates are cleared, people are likely getting up to the bar, run to the bathroom etc. Having it right after your entrance ensures a captive audience.

Our DJ royally screwed up and didn't go into our dance after the grand entrance as planned. She starting playing the song and called us up during the second course so everyone was seated and busy eating and drinking. It felt so weird.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we are doing our first dance right after dinner to get the party started.
  • Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing mine right after our grand entrance before we sit down. When I've coordinated weddings before, even with an MC announcement - it's been annoying as hell for me to gather people and the bride and groom and say "leave the bar for the first dance!!" lol. SO I want to enjoy it and get it out of the way. Smiley smile

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive seen it both ways, prior to dinner and after dinner.

My Brother IL did it before we even sat down, but its also just because of how their venue was set up, the dining area was small so the dance floor was kinda outside, so we all stood in the area, they entered, did their dance, and we all sat to eat. I actually found it quite sweet, as it felt more intimate to watch them dance.

My MOH did it post dinner, and she asked her bridal party (me included) to go up with our partners half way through the dance to make it a bit less awkward to dance after doing the father/daughter dances and thats what opened the dance floor for the night.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did it when we entered. It made THAT way less awkward... But still horribly awkward lol and I love being the centre of attention 😆. It was a good break between cocktail hour and first course served. Got people moving too.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning on doing our first dance after our grand entrance before dinner. We aren't doing a father/daughter or mother/son dance. Our first dance is the only formal dance so we are doing it before dinner then doing cake cutting after dinner then right to party time!!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our first dance after dinner

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics