Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner October 2021 Ontario

When should I take my engagement ring off? Help!

Stephanie, on November 29, 2019 at 10:48 Posted in Before the wedding 0 18
Hi everyone!

I am recently engaged (2 weeks today!) and still getting used to having this amazing ring on my left hand! As i’m sure many others are, I am so worried about damaging it in any way. Looking for some guidance/tips as to when I should take my ring off...Thanks so much!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Marissa, on December 30, 2019 at 21:52
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I'm taking mine off more than necessary - I take it off when I'm washing my hands, using hand lotion, showering, sleeping, and when doing dishes. The problem is I lose it a lot.

• Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I take mine off when showering, but that's about it. Congratulations Smiley smile

• Havier
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Havier ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance pretty much on;y takes hers off when she's cooking with raw meat.

If you're taking it in to get checked every few months or a couple times a year, you really shouldn't have any issues with it breaking or anything. A lot of companies will offer some crazy discounted warranties if it's not too late to look into it. I got one for around $100 that includes unlimited lifetime cleaning for the life of the ring.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am THE WORST when it comes to taking my ring off. I never do, mostly because I forget to put it back on! It fits so well that I totally forget it’s there, like an extension of my finger. I guess you should take it off when sleeping or in water but I just can’t help it sometimes.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never take mine off unless im at the gym or doing cleaning with chemicals around the house

• Shaney
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Shaney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t shower with mine or sleep with it 😩 I’m also still in the I don’t want to ruin it faze!
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations and Welcome to WW. I've been engaged since last march. I love wearing my ring. So I only take it off when washing and lotion application.

• June
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    June ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just got recently engaged too... one week in!!! I cant seem to take it off lol.

I would love some pointers on how to take care of this beauty on my finger Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg congrats!! honestly i love my ring too much i NEVER take it off. i actually bought a little brush and i just clean it when it gets dirty from cooking or dishes etc

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I take mine off for dirty jobs, and if I know my hands will be getting wet for extended periods of time I wear it on a chain. I also take it off to work out.

For Christmas I've asked my fiance for some cute ring dishes for around the house. And I've just bought an enso silicone ring online, so I think I'll wear that for working out and at my second job (petstore, fish tanks + ring = nope ).
    I get anxious when I take it off! My thumb keeps rubbing that finger to look for it!
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!!!

I got engaged in May and I only take my ring off when I'm cleaning or going to the gym

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats!

I feel like I'm in the minority since I only wear my rings if I leave the house, unless I'm going to the gym, then I wear my silicone ring instead.

If you are currently wearing it 24/7, here's when I wouldn't wear it:

- Sleeping

- Showering/bathing/washing your face

- Cooking

- Putting lotion on

- washing your hands. If you're in a public bathroom and don't want to take it off there (understandably), take it off after to dry off the water that could've got on it.

I'd also invest in ring holders for your home. I have one in my bedroom (for when I'm sleeping/at home), my washroom, and one at my office (take them off before going to the washroom).

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Take it off when you sleep!

And when you're showering, swimming, basically anything that involves getting it submerged in water.

Take it off to workout or when you're cooking with something that will get your hands dirty, when you're cleaning or doing your makeup or skincare routine, etc.

Get some ring dishes and place them in the spots you will be taking it off most, that way you will always know that it's safe when it's not on your finger. If you have pets that like to knock things over like I do keep those ring dishes out of their reach or store it in it's original ring box (or even get a cute one from etsy)

• Stephanie
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the help. I can only assume that the longer time goes on, the more comfortable I will be wearing it🤗
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine isn't insured yet, gotta get on that! lol Once I do that then I'm sure I'd feel better about travelling with it. I went to France a month after I got engaged and I just wasn't willing to chance it so soon after

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly right! (only thing that is different for me is that I would take it traveling with me since my insurance would cover it if it got lost that way)

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

The times I take mine off:

-Showering

-Cleaning the house

-Working out

-Hands on cooking

-Traveling (I have an Enso silicone ring I replace it with)

• Andrea
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!! I just got engaged last month on thanksgiving! I only take it off when I shower or cooking something with meat! Besides that it’s always on I’m paranoid I’m going to lose it lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics