Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Krista
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

When is it too cold to have an outdoor/ barn wedding?

Krista, on July 23, 2019 at 03:38 Posted in Ontario 0 6
Hi everyone!

I would like to have a fall 2020 wedding, looking at the last weekends of September or first weekend of October.. I have already started looking at venues and am thinking of having an outdoor ceremony with a barn evening reception.. My worry is will it be too cold? I felt like the end of September/ very beginning of October is typically still pretty mild out but some of my friends have me worried that the reception will be too cold since the barn isn't heated... Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with the same or could give any advise!

TIA!

Krista

6 Comments

Latest activity by Christine, on August 2, 2019 at 15:32
  • C
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married this Thanksgiving weekend in a barn! They are providing heaters as a back up and book right up until the end of October!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Towards the last week of September it seems to get cold for the outdoors temperature. It would mean jackets being worn and a warm top to wear on top of your wedding dress for the ceremony.

Mid September would be a great time to have that warm air that is what you want to consider when booking to avoid the fall temperature creeping in before the 25th.

Indoors may be another way to look into for getting all your guests keeping warm and cozy from the cold if booking for the fall season. Its still nice to have window views for its sunshine and light coming into the reception.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You may be better off doing the last weekend in September just to be safe. We went to a wedding the first weekend in September in a barn last year, and the ceremony was cold, but the barn was beautiful. By the time bodies get in there, the lights, the drinks and the dancing it will warm up.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know if it's just me or if it's just here in Winnipeg - but it seems to me that every other year we have a warmer fall and on the opposite it's colder. With that being said, last year was chilly in early September for an outdoor ceremony of my FH's cousin - and so far for this fall they are calling for a warmer dryer fall 2019... This would lead me to believe that 2020 will be a colder fall.

The one thing I am sure of - is that even if it is cold - you can work around it! Get heaters for the barn and have them running as early as 6am (I would say overnight but unless you have somebody watching them I wouldn't leave them unattended).

Oh, and you could have a hot chocolate/ coffee station as well as blankets for people (to have and to hold in case you get cold).

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Looking at the calendar, the first weekend in October might be ok too. I wouldn't go past the Thanksgiving weekend. I went to an outdoor wedding in mid to late October and during the dinner everyone was wearing heavy coats.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say the last week september the latest! I went to a wedding 100% outdoors last week of september and was in a tent- barn would be more coverage though and I had to change into pants how cold it got at night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics