Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lauren
Curious August 2019 Saskatchewan

When in the Ceremony will you sign your license?

Lauren, on July 11, 2019 at 11:58 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 18
Trying to work out at what point during the ceremony we sign the license. Before or after the kiss?

Also, I just recently learned this is a Canadian tradition, and isn't commonly done in the states.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on July 22, 2019 at 11:14
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smiley heart We signed ours just before the kiss! It was a come up and sign, and then OFFICIALLY be presented as Husband and Wife! And then the kiss!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel that way 100% too! Can't kiss my new hubby without the paperwork being done Smiley tongue

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We signed ours after the vows and before the kiss. The kiss sealed the deal, we were introduced as married and then walked out.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure! I'm going to do whatever my officiant tells us we should do lol.

• K
    Frequent user September 2024 Nova Scotia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing ours after the kiss!

• Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like that!
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sealed our vows with a kiss, signed the license, were introduced as husband and wife, then did the recessional.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are lucky to have a Grandfather to marry you. Ask him when would be the right time to sign the license or wait until the end so that no one sees it being done and with your witnesses. This way there is privacy within yourselves.

• Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, my officiant is my grandfather. He is a retired pastor and has just given us free reign to decide the whole ceremony process, so it's all new to me, Haha!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every Officiant has a process they do for the signing of the license. It depends on them to say before or after the kiss.

Usually it would be before the kiss and the witnesses come to sign as well. This was the process we went since our Officiant did with us.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our officiant has an online form that we fill out with what we want him to say. We’ll do everything in the order that the form lists it . We will be signing the licence after the ring exchange. Then we’ll do a Greek crowning ceremony, then the pronunciation and then the kiss!
  • Lauren
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was my thought too! I thought it was usually signed at the end but if the paperwork isn't signed it isn't actually official yet.
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing it at the end before the hand fastening ceremony and kiss. I kind of feel like we can't be pronounced husband and wife and kiss if we haven't made it legal yet.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be signing it after we have the ceremony actually Smiley smile Our wedding ceremony is set to be on a dock and I am not about to risk the papers or the pen falling in the river!! I also have been to weddings where this is done after the ceremony away from guests - not like they are all excited for seeing you do that part, they just wanna hear "I DO" and then see a kiss!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is also right after the kiss! This is what I usually see so we're doing this way lol

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is right after the kiss!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At my FSILs wedding, it was done before the kiss - I’m pretty sure. It will be done that way at mine.
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Traditionally it's done after the kiss. The kiss usually follows the "I now pronounce you husband and wife" - and then you go sign. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics