Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

When did you and your SO get a pet together?

Joey, on October 20, 2018 at 14:05 Posted in Living together 0 15

How long were you are your partner together before you decided to become pet parents? How did you decide the time was right? Did either of you bring pets with you into the relationship? Do everyone's pets get along? Do you agree on the number and type of pets you each want?

Don't forget to show us your furbabies!

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 1

Photo from WeddingWire's Instagram When did you and your SO get a pet together? 2

Photo by Impresario Events in Toronto

15 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on January 26, 2020 at 21:11
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was somehow news to Taylor that "my" cat Ferguson would be coming with me to our first apartment together.
    When we bought our first house we adopted our second kitty Finnegan. Once again Taylor was shocked, but he always said the apartment didn't have room for 2 cats and the house did!When did you and your SO get a pet together? 3
    When did you and your SO get a pet together? 4They love him more than me.
  • K
    Curious July 2023 Ontario
    K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both currently have pets. I have 2 dogs 2 cats and a horse and he has 1 dog and 1 cat but we are looking at adopting a puppy and raising it together!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 5 We both had cats when we got together. My guy Cedric (brown and white) I’ve had since I was a teenager and was the same age as her cat at the time. A few years ago she passed away which was really hard. Last year, we got Peanut (orange) who immediately went for her and we’ve made a nice little fam.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I brought my furbaby into our relationship and it was lucky my now husband is also a cat person (I also had two chinchillas that he accepted as well). Unfortunately my phone corrupted and we were unable to save any of the digital pictures we had of her. RIP Chelsea, you will always be my "kitten".

When we had to say goodbye to Chelsea we agreed no cat could ever replace her, but we had a hole in our hearts and an apartment that felt empty without feline love, so a couple months later we adopted Danno and Twilight (they came with the names and we didn't want to change them lol)

this is DanWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 6

and this is TwilightWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 7

• Amber
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We adopted our cats after living together for only a week but and e had been together for 3 years. We then just got our dog about 9 months ago! We can’t imagine living together without them all

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 8

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 9

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 10
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got our first cat around the time we moved in together. He was originally adopted by our roommate but he turned out to be a horrible person and per owner so we took the cat from him. His name is Lucipurr.

Then about a year later we got our second cat, Delilah. Funny story with her.. while my fiance was at work and went and adopted her, he was very surprised when he got home lol

(In the picture the little one at the back with the white patch is Delilah, the big one is Lucipurr.)

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 11
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    When we moved to BC finding a cat friendly apartment was next to impossible... We got so lucky that we did find an apartment that met all our needs plus pet friendly! Honestly thought we wouldn't though..
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH got the gorgeous black pug here (Sophie) for my daughter close to 6 years ago. She was a rescue with many medical issues but was such a sweet and special girl. We lost her two years ago and my heart still breaks when I think of her.

Two years ago we adopted Abby from the same rescue together - she’s the little one in the picture. She also has some medical issues but no one wanted to take her on so we took her into our home as our newest family member! Around 3 weeks ago, the rescue asked us if we’d take Joe as well (the big sweet boy in the picture). Similar to Abby, there are some medical challenges but he fits right in!

we are so in love with these sweet, goofy pugs and can’t imagine our lives without them!

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 12

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 13
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How long were you are your partner together before you decided to become pet parents? How did you decide the time was right? Did either of you bring pets with you into the relationship? Do everyone's pets get along? Do you agree on the number and type of pets you each want?

We were together for 1 year and 5 months when we readopted our puppy Karma and adopted our kitten Avocato Smiley smile Yes, Karma is a female dog Smiley winking

Basically, I grew up with always having at least 2 dogs in my parents house at all times and we had moved into our own house a couple months prior to adopting them from a rescue shelter. I just needed to have a dog to come home to that would get super excited to see me like I'm used to. Especially because when I did move out of my parents house there were 4 dogs at that time.

With that being said - my Fiancé grew up with always having cats in his house so the rule was if we got a puppy, we had to get a cat. And if we got a cat, we would have to get a puppy.

We knew it was the right time because I found husky mixes at the shelter which don't come around very often and when we went to see them we also found a kitten that looked just like his first cat so he fell in love right then and there.

They get along great, and although the dog has the advantage over the cat due to size - my FH says that it's only a matter of time before the cat is the play fight winner Smiley tongue

KarmaWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 14

My 3 loves (Please excuse the mess - we are in the middle of renovations!)When did you and your SO get a pet together? 15

AvocatoWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 16

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everyone’s pets are very cute! Unfortunately my fiancé and I are renters and it’s extremely hard to find a place that allows pets so it’s not something we could do just yet. But we’ve talked about maybe getting a dog after we’ve had kids!
  • Julia
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had my 2 sweet dogs and my cat (and a handful of horses!) long before we started dating. It was just my critters and I for soooo long. We are a package deal Smiley smile this is something that has caused problems with others in the past. But the first time my fiancé came to my house, it was instant love between them all. He loves them more than anything and they are so happy to finally have a daddy!

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 17

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 18
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love this post! Smiley laugh

We got our cat Milo as an 8 week old kitten when we were together for about a year and a half and living together for a year (we were best friends for three years and saw each other every day at school before we started dating though)
    We actually didn't really decide to get a cat, we wanted to foster cats (partly because of our visa things in Canada) but right around that time we had a Dutch friend over and she found a litter of kittens dumped in the middle of no where while she was camping. They managed to save one, the rest kept on hiding and they eventually had to give up the search. She brought Milo to us and then we decided for our new addition to our family~ he's the cutest cat ever Smiley smile
    We also fostered once, but Milo isn't a huge fan of other cats. We do hope to get him a sister sometime in the future though, but we'll see. Fiancé is really into that at least, he also wants to foster again but I'm holding it off (for now, we'll see when I do budge again Smiley xd it was the cutest thing ever)
    Pictures are of our own cat and one of FH with the foster kittens (they came in at around 6 days old and we had the mom as well, until they were about 8 weeks)

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 19

When did you and your SO get a pet together? 20
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband got a pup august 2016 and another a month after to keep each other company. Our teacup chihuahuas are now 2 years old.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I just got a puppy actually.. it was kind of an impulse decision but she's such a wonderful dog we are very excited about our fur baby. we've been together a year and 3 months

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haha, I have a bad allergy to cats and my parents always had cats growing up. When I was in pet-free dorms in University I felt better and as much as it killed me, I vowed to never own cats. I love cats to death so I would probably adopt a stray at some point but my allergies.

When I met my FH, he had 2 cats - one he had since she was a kitten and the other was a stray he took in. When we started dating, he asked how I felt about cats and I told him I love them but I have allergies. Since dating him and being around the cats, I feel like I've built up more immunity to it so it doesn't bug me as much, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The 2 cats also have favourites, our 12 year old Calico (Maggie) favours my FH since they've been together for 11 1/2 years and our 3 year old Siamese (Gremlin - I actually named her lol) favours me and he's had her for as long as we've been dating. I always joked about how we couldn't break up since Gremlin wouldn't understand - and now we're getting married

MaggieWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 21

GremlinWhen did you and your SO get a pet together? 22

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics