Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mallory
Newbie October 2020 Nova Scotia

Wheelchair Accessible Venues?

Mallory, on February 26, 2020 at 09:23 Posted in Nova Scotia 0 6

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for advice on finding a wheelchair accessible venue for the ceremony & reception in Nova Scotia. Most places I've found are only accessible to a point, and would only allow for my brother to watch the actual wedding ceremony from afar. I refuse to get married at a place where my brother will have to park his chair back from everyone and watch me get married with binoculars (I'm exaggerating, but I hope you get what I mean) I want him to be included in the ceremony just as much as anyone else.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Emilie, on May 10, 2020 at 19:12
  • Emilie
    Beginner September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and I'm pretty sure that they are wheel chair accessible. The reception room is on the main floor. There is an elevator that goes to the second floor where the observation deck is located, if you want to have your ceremony outside. It's such a nice view, overlooking the harbour Smiley smile
  • Kenna
    Curious September 2023 Nova Scotia
    Kenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mother was married at the Banook canoe club in 1996, so granted it was some time ago, but she said it was perfectly accessible to her paralyzed grandfather! Hope that helps, if you're still looking for a venue that is.

• Mallory
    Mallory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not a fan of hotel weddings, so they're my last resort. But I will look into Hubbards community barn! Thank you for the suggestions Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Mallory,

What kind of vibe are you looking for in your venue? My cousin got married in Hubbards community barn when his mother was in a wheelchair and they had an outdoor ceremony and no issue getting her around.

To my memory the Bedford Basin Farmer's market is accessible. I'm holding my reception at St. Mary's Boat club and it has a drop off location that leads right onto the deck, and I believe most of our hotel venues have options for guests in wheelchairs.

Hope that helps!

• Mallory
    Mallory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been messaging lots, but a lot of them are accessible only for the reception and not the ceremony. I just don't want to exclude him in any way. We considered lifting him in the chair but he is an almost 40 year old man and the chair itself is very heavy, I'm not sure we could make it work!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never been to Nova Scotia let alone planned a wedding there, but just taking a quick look on Wedding Wire venues in NS I think it would be safe to say if I were in your shoes I would message literally all of them to see if any of them do. Otherwise what are the chances you would be able to get some of the GM or something to carry him in his chair down to the ceremony site? (If you aren't able to find a venue with wheelchair access)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics