Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Expert September 2020 Quebec

What was your breaking point?

Shannon, on March 12, 2020 at 16:02 Posted in WeddingWire 0 19

Guys, I just need to hear something good. I am beyond the point of frustrated. I cancelled the wedding, but uncancelled the next day. Gave up on planning told my FH I am not doing another thing until he is ready to help carry this load. I am beyond broke and still have a lot to pay for. Less than 6 months and I still don't have a dress. I won't even have a shower or bachelorette. My daughter is my maid of honor she is 16. So I don't even know if she can sign, let alone a shower or bachelorette party.

I went to look at a used dress today from marketplace. Well I couldn't tell on my own. There were no mirrors and just me. I walked out and smile and said thank you.

Just needed to vent and would like some good stories to get me through.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Brianna, on September 1, 2020 at 10:55
  • Brianna
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Planning a wedding during COVID has been sweet hell!

try to just stay calm, focus on the most important things to you, and talk to your FH about what you need from him. I was feeling this stress as well, I had a blow out with my FH and he pointed out that I wasnt actually telling him that I needed anything. I wasnt even telling him I was stressed. If you can sit down with him and off load some of the jobs he can handle, it will help with the stress, and he will feel better knowing hes involved. Just open up that communication.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everything will be okay once this pandemic is over and the green light is there for clearance. Don't give up on the planning and know that your not alone when it comes to paying for the costs of vendors, rentals and more. FH always seem to want to block out what we say or how they feel they don't have any part of the financial aspect. Create a list of what needs to be done and put in front of you both to let him see and if he says there isn't anything he can do, he's in denial. Putting two list of TO DO for Bride and Groom will let him see what he needs to take care of his part. Alternative is to have a court wedding and just have the family there and go out for dinner after if he can afford that cost. The sacrifice should be a middle point for him to meet you half way.
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Charlie, I did give him a job and he took it well. Now main focus is dress. I am going to actively try in the next few day and go look around.

• Carlie
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Carlie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know its hard to plan. My FH isn't pulling his weight either. It's so frustrating.
    Take one thing a day at a time. Focus on the dress for right now and set a budget. Tell the universe and yourself "I want a dress like ______ and I need it by _____ so universe please help" When we ask the Universe for help, things fall in place (not as easy as that but still), it keeps us on track and become mindful of our intentions and goals. There are plenty of beautiful dresses on marketplace or even consignment stores! That is a great idea. I got my dress second hand on Kijiji (It was my DREAM dress that I have been searching for for months). But it took lots of work and asking the universe for help.
    Once the dress is tackled, move onto the others. ALSO consider giving your FH a job and tell him he need to get it done by a certain date and if he doesnt, scold him! Our partners need to pull thier weight!
    Good luck with everything

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Veronica,

First thing I did this morning was hit the gym.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perfect. Remember to breathe. Glad you are getting the support.
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Amelia. Great ideas, I can plan for. Smiley smile

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, Yes I am feeling better.

When FH gets home from work, he will be home 2 weeks. So he said we are going to visit the venue. Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hope you are feeling better today. I would take a quick trip to your wedding licence place or ask your officiant if your daughter is able to sign for you in your province. That would at least let you know what to prepare for. I believe someone on WW had her daughter and son sign for them in Ontario I'm not sure about Quebec laws though. (Both of them were under the age of majority.)

I'm personally not going to have a shower. It's not something I felt comfortable with. I'm planning my own bachelorette party kind of because I want to do a wine tour and I figured if I told my girls it is for my bachelorette they are more likely to make the time for it. There is one where you can ride a big bike to different breweries in our area that sounds fun to me. Is there something you want to try like a paint night maybe where everyone can pay their own entry and you can just enjoy girl time? That would be something easy to plan yourself that shouldn't be too stressful.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It can be a lot. Especially if you don't feel like you have enough help. Is there anyone you can lean on? Obviously you need to try and get some help from FH but are their friends, family, or co-workers who can help or even listen when you need to vent? We're here for you but I know venting in person can be helpful too!

I would say don't feel like you need to bankrupt yourself for the perfect wedding. You can find a beautiful dress without breaking the bank. Bring your daughter along and ask her to take photos of there isn't a mirror, it gives you the chance to look at the photos without the pressure of the person selling standing with you. I also love the idea of sparkling cider or champagne while you dress shop.
    Instead of a bachelorette have a girls night out with your daughter. Get dinner and a movie, go shopping and see who can pick out the most ridiculous outfit, or stay in and eat junk food and watch your favorite bad tv show, just have fun! It doesn't need to be a typical "bachelorette" with too much drinking and penis themed everything.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awe man! That is so rough to hear, wedding planning should be happy (for the most part) I am glad you can vent here though. Sometimes that is all that is needed. Your FH for sure needs to help and step up, it is not just all for you to do, so glad to hear that you have told him so. You will find a dress! It always works out. Take some self care time!

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I will, just have to get a rush on that...lol

Thank you Kelsie

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no Smiley sad I’m so sorry to hear that!! I’m confident you’ll find something you love though!! The longer will search will make it extra worth it!
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies, just needed to get all that out.

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Kelsey My daughter and I decided we will go next week pay day for sure. Its now or never...lol.

I live in the in a small community, so the nearest shop is over an hour away. Which also makes it hard to shop marketplace. Although, I did schedule a look a few weeks ago. But the dress didn't fit. I will continue the hunt.

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ashley. I already spoke with him and he will be helping from this point forward.

• Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH definitely needs to step up & help out. I was 16 when I was my sisters MOH. Pretty sure I couldn't sign, so the other BM did. But I still planned a mini bachelorette party, we just went to a hotel in the city & had a girls night. Definitely search around for a dress, I got mine from David's bridal for $200. Talk with your daughter & see how she feels, get her to go with you when you try on dresses, this should be a fun experience
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh nooo! I'm so sorry you feel this way! WW is definitely a safe space to vent though Smiley smile

It's hard when you feel you're alone in the planning. For your shower/bachelorette, do you have a trusted friend or family member who could help your daughter? I don't think she'd be able to book a space by herself but your FH could sign for her and help her out here!

Do you have any bridal boutiques nearby?! I actually found wedding dress shopping overwhelming so I totally get how you feel here. Could you make a fun day of it? Get some champagne (and alcohol free champagne for your daughter) and make a day of it with your daughter and some girlfriends/family?!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no dont stress!!! take some deep breathes!! tell your hubby its his wedding day too and he needs to help plan! as for your MOH she cant sign. it has to be someone over 18 have your mom or another family member from your side sign! and take her wedding dress shopping and get a dress! check out pop up sample sales. i got my dress from Kleinfelds it was over 10k and i got it for 2 with tax!!! cheer up wedding planning is suppose to be fun and happy!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics