Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Frequent user November 2019 Ontario

What to wear for engagement pictures?

Holly, on August 28, 2018 at 11:24 Posted in Before the wedding 0 29

Hey all,

I'm getting my engagement pictures done this fall and was wondering what everyone wore? Pictures would be super appreciated!

Thanks soo much!!

29 Comments

Latest activity by Alexandra, on October 1, 2018 at 23:56
  • Alexandra
    Beginner March 2022 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

casualWhat to wear for engagement pictures? 1

Casual OutfitsWhat to wear for engagement pictures? 2

I wore 3 different outfits (depends on what your photographer will allow with time)

First outfit was a flowy maxi floral skirt with matching tank top

Second was a shirt black dress with tassels on the bottom

Third was a more casual vibe and we both wore black ripped jeans, white tops and leather jackets

It all depends on your style as a couple and where you'll be taking the photos. Casual or fancy, both are super cute in photos and you'll love how they turn out regardless!!

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great question b/c I am wondering the same thing!! If you do a pumpkin patch, you can wear black tights, boots, and a checkered shirt with a leather jacket. Pinterest has tons of pictures but I can seem to narrow it down. I also struggle with actually going to the mall and buying all this... I hate shopping thats why.

If you have gone for your photos, I would love to see what you ended up with!

Have fun!!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It won't let me upload images but we both wore jeans. he wore a button down with a sweater. i wore a leather jacket and changed into a sweater later. we also did photos in the summer where we wore formal wear (a suit for him, a poofy skirt and silk top for me) and then changed into jeans/sweater combos again.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have one picture so far, and can't really tell what we are wearing.
    I wore an open back tank top (kinda dressy) with dark jeans and flip flops. FH wore dark jeans and a light blue polo.

Both our tops were pastels and looked beautiful with out sunset pictures.

We didn't want to be too "dressy" but went with something comfortable

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is true, but the pictures would be funny to have.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well thank you!

Just ask him not to & remind him... “happy wife happy life” Smiley tongue
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. Our photographer is Naomi Littlewood of Littlewood Photography
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wore a light pink and grey floral print floor length dress and my FH wore a grey dress shirt and jeans. It turned out really nice in the photos
  • Andrea
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wore a long skirt with a white shirt and beige sweater, then changed into a white and pink dress.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Jennifer I love your pictures as well. I was thinking of doing something like that, but too worried the FH would just be too tempted to push my in the water.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg Peggy... I love your photos. But they look familiar, who did your photos?
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What to wear for engagement pictures? 3

Our photographer told us to wear what we were comfortable in for the engagement photos. I wore one of my favourite dresses.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agreed with the advice to wear something you're comfortable in Smiley smile

We did an outfit change just to change photos up a bit. We got these done last August.

Photo 1What to wear for engagement pictures? 4Photo 2What to wear for engagement pictures? 5Photo 3What to wear for engagement pictures? 6

• Lacey
    Beginner August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Lacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I asked my photographer for wardrobe advice he said to simply wear something we were comfortable in! I am not a girly girl so we opted for a very casual look with reversed colors (shoes and shirts) and simple jeans ☺️

What to wear for engagement pictures? 7
  • Holly
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engagement photos taken by my FH's aunt in the winter. It was freezing but so fun! We did a few outfit changes over a few hours Smiley smile

Engagement 1What to wear for engagement pictures? 8Engagement 2What to wear for engagement pictures? 9Engagement 3What to wear for engagement pictures? 10

• Farah
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Farah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe! Stephanie, your pictures are so adorable! We are a Toronto couple as well.

We did our engagement photos last Sept (and if anyone can remember how hot it was last fall, our “fall engagement photos” turned into super sweaty summertime photos.

We did an outfit change as well. Holly, I would recommend anything that is in your wheelhouse or what you normally well so you are comfortable as well as colours that make you feel pretty. Pinks, reds, whites and blue are always gorgeous. Flowy clothing or cozy clothing looks great for fall shoots (and you can wear cute boots too).

What to wear for engagement pictures? 11

What to wear for engagement pictures? 12
  • Jenn
    Frequent user March 2019 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome!! Thank you Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Https://chelseagreenphotography.com/ !! I love her, she’s amazing. Definitely check her out!!
  • Jenn
    Frequent user March 2019 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the style of your engagement pics!!! Do you me asking who your photographer was?
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whatever you feel good in! We also did an outfit change just for the heck of it Smiley smile

I would pick your colours based on your location. Reds look soooo good in the fall!

What to wear for engagement pictures? 13

What to wear for engagement pictures? 14
  • Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You all look amazing! I love the white idea and the complimentary colours! Yoou guys rock!

• Bobbi
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Bobbi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were Dressy/Casual, you want to look like yourself but still dress up a little!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were in the distillery district so kept it casual! I just wanted to wear white!

What to wear for engagement pictures? 15
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We too had an outfit change. I have become friends with our photographer since we hired her, so she and I chat regularly, and I was able to run our outfits by her for her professional opinion before settling on them.

What to wear for engagement pictures? 16

What to wear for engagement pictures? 17

What to wear for engagement pictures? 18

What to wear for engagement pictures? 19

• Kelly
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did an outfit change but I really love how white and white looks together, it turned out to be so romantic with the sunset too!

What to wear for engagement pictures? 20

What to wear for engagement pictures? 21
  • Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear something you are comfortable in and that matches the setting you are in. This is what we wore. It’s how we usually dress so and what we feel comfortable in 😊

What to wear for engagement pictures? 22

What to wear for engagement pictures? 23
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also had my engagement photos done in the fall. Our photographer suggested that photos turn out the best when you feel like yourself. Don't wear something that you normally wouldn't wear. I wore a 3/4 length t-shirt dress with boots and my FH wore jeans and a casual button up.

What to wear for engagement pictures? 24
    What to wear for engagement pictures? 25

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first attempt didn't go so well so we picked another location to try it again. This time we did it after my make up trial so I was all dolled up!

Photo 1What to wear for engagement pictures? 26Photo 2What to wear for engagement pictures? 27Photo 3What to wear for engagement pictures? 28Photo 4What to wear for engagement pictures? 29Photo 5What to wear for engagement pictures? 30

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went through this recently. We had our engagement photos taken on July 22. I was in the process of losing weight as well, so it was also a "what looks good on me" as well as "what looks good for the camera.

It was suggested to me to pick out 2 outfits for the photos, a laid-back casual look, and a fancier look. The advice I received that worked great and I'll pass on to you is:

- One pattern at a time. One of you can be in a pattern, preferably something larger/simple. The other should be in solids.

- Wear complimentary colours, not matching. My FH had a plaid shirt that had teal stripes in it, so I wore a teal shirt... For our 'formal' look, he wore black, so I had free range to play with colour.

- Do not wear logos, neons, or big accessories (ex, hats). They are distracting, and neon reflects on the skin.

- Do not wear something brand new. I bought a romper for our fancy look, and I wore it to work one day so I could "break it in" and get used to wearing it.

So our casual look was the one with me in a cold shoulder to and capri jeans. He wore a plaid t-shirt with Nike golf shorts. We both wore sandals.

Our fancy look was me in a white/blue floral romper, and him in a black button down shirt with dark jeans. He wore his cowboy boots, and I wore a peep toe bootie that kind of mirrored his style. I found the heels helped my poses/posture... so maybe consider wearing the same heel for both, or have two casual/fancy shoes both with some sort of heel.

I am a curvier girl, and I would recommend, don't wear flimsy clothing. I felt more comfortable in my casual look, but in photos, it looked very soft and not as flattering. The romper was much more structured, and that gave it a more polished/slimming look. I would still recommend including casual look, but maybe look for a nice button up plaid top, or blouse... it will be more structured for photos.

I also would suggest doing more standing/angled poses than seated ones. I looked so much wider than I am in all the ones where we were seated. Also, any chance we had for my FH to wrap his arms around my waist, or for me to tuck in behind his arms a bit, it really created a slimming look for me.

The number one thing I can say is: Just have fun. Once I stopped over thinking it, I really enjoyed the experience of being able to cuddle up close to my hubby, smiling, kissing, and laughing.

Hope this helped! I included our 2 looks and a few poses for you to see for reference.

What to wear for engagement pictures? 31What to wear for engagement pictures? 32What to wear for engagement pictures? 33What to wear for engagement pictures? 34What to wear for engagement pictures? 35What to wear for engagement pictures? 36What to wear for engagement pictures? 37What to wear for engagement pictures? 38

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics