Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alex
Beginner May 2019 British Columbia

What to put cards in?

Alex, on January 1, 2019 at 17:22 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16

Hi everyone!

My Fiance and I aren't doing gifts at our wedding, we are instead just asking for money. We have a cute little note on our website that says this, along with a comment about how a box will be available at the venue for cards. We're wondering what we should use to keep the cards in? Should it be a locked box, or do people usually have something more casual?? I've heard that people have rented stone water wells before, so I'm realizing that there are many options out there and I would love to hear some. Thanks!!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Alie, on January 3, 2019 at 18:50
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can get a large bird cage and decorate it for fairly cheap... Tulle, flowers, etc
  • Alex
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem!! Happy to help!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this! thank you!

• Alex
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi janaya! I wrote this on the wedding website under the registry section: "your presence is enough of a gift to us on this special day. However, If you would like to contribute to our future, we would love some pennies to put towards a down payment! There will be a box available for cards at the venue."

There are also little assorted poems that I wrote for the invitations. Here's one of them:

"If you were thinking of sharing a gift to help us on our way, a gift of money would really make our day! We'll put it all together, and one day buy the best; reminding us of all our truly lovely guests!"

I hope this helps!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Locked box for sure if you can. If you're willing to "splurge" a little, Michael's has card boxes in their wedding section. They are super cute. Or you can go exploring through some thrift stores and make it a DIY project, get a little bit of paint and make your own.

Either way, once the reception gets under way, figure out where in your venue (ask your venue coordinator if you have one), where the safest/locked up place is to put the box. Believe it or not, there are pro wedding crashers who get in and get out with all that cash/cheques before anyone knows they are there... Better to be safe than sorry!

• Ginny
    Beginner June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Ginny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are only accepting cards and no gifts at all and stated this, kindly, on our invitations. But if you would like cash you could ask for 'no boxed gifts'.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alex, what did you write on the website to let people know you're only accepting cards? WE want to do this as well but don't know how to word it

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue actually offers a beautiful gold box to use! We will be using this and then I have a very close family friend who I've asked to be our security guard for the gifts! He will be tasked with occasionally emptying the cards and putting them in a lock box in the Bridal Suite and then bringing the box back out! I do not want the decorative box to hold a lot of cards at any time... too many horror stories out there :'(

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using a birdcage as our card box and my dad will keep an eye on it during the reception. As people enter, they should drop the cards off then so at dinner my dad can go and lock it up safe.

Our venue also provides security, and we'll let them know that the card box shouldn't be in anyone's possession except for my dad and mom, me or my FH

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely doesn't hurt to have a lock on whatever you use to put the cards in! Of course if you go with something like a well then you can't really do that - but it would be more obvious if somebody was trying to steal a card from there. Best bet is to have it away from the entrance but make sure people know where it is!

• Rachael
    Newbie April 2019 Manitoba
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are using our engagement photos and building an 6 sided box that spins on a lazy Susan. You can have a little latch on the lid and lock too which is nice.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea of a locked box tbh. You can never be too safe when it comes to your wedding cards.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are using a rented large glass box. Our venue will ask our best Man to accompany the venue coordinator with the box to the office where our Best Man and Wedding coordinator counts the envelopes and then placed in a sealed envelope & then locked up. They ask that the envelopes be taken home by us or with our Family the night of our Wedding.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess it'll depend on the location of your venue:

a) If it's in a hotel, restaurant or downtown with high foot-traffic, you might want it locked and further into your venue. I think we've all heard stories of random people walking in and stealing the goods.

b) If it's pretty remote or secure, then an open basket or birdcage shouldn't be a problem.

Either way, I'd ask someone to keep an eye on it and put away the gift/card box after cocktail hour. Whether the venue has a secure space, or they put it in the trunk of their car. That way, nobody will have to worry about it during dinner or when the party starts!!

• Alex
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue has some options that they will provide to us. Pretty sure one is a birdcage and another is just a plain box!
    Options are endless depending on your theme! We are looking at something rustic. So a small wine barrel or just a rustic looking wood box!
    I personally don’t think you need a locked one depending on where your reception is. If you have someone in the bridal party that can stand near it until everyone is in and then you can lock it away after or give it to someone to keep until the end of the night

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics