Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie October 2018 British Columbia

What to gift for a wedding celebration taking place for a friend a year after their wedding

Rebecca, on July 15, 2018 at 14:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 7
I’m looking for advice for how much is appropriate to spend between my fiancée and I on a gift for a friends ‘reception’ that we’ve been invited to.

They were married about about a year ago in one of their parents backyards with only family and a wedding party present. I was not invited.

Now they are throwing a ‘reception’ later this summer. It would be dinner and dancing and throwing it like the reception they would have had last year if finances permitted.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. There is no registry so I’m assuming they want cash gifts.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Julia, on July 28, 2018 at 06:52
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would gift the same amount as if the reception was happing right after the ceremony. pretend

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agree with this. My cousin did something similar and we gifted her the same we would anyone else getting married.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I respectfully disagree with the others here that it is more of an anniversary celebration than a wedding. It sounds more to me like they simply postponed the reception part of the wedding until a later date. I would treat this like any other wedding and gift accordingly.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Clarissa, it comes off more like an anniversary party than a wedding reception...

It depends on what you can afford, and what you want to give them, really. I know my fiance and I don't have a lot of "extra" money for bigger gifts... I'd probably give them a cheque for $100 from both of us. Or maybe a gift card if you figured out where they shop? Or maybe even look into an experience for them, an outing, or activity, that costs around $100-150? Then they don't have a value amount, but they get to go do something together maybe they wouldn't have done otherwise?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thoughts for giving a gift knowing they have everything at home means no boxed gifts. Cash wise average per person is about $100. Gift card is another option from storees they could use home decor or items of the same value.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would spend the same amount that I would with presentation. Pay for what you think your food will cost. So weddings now a days can usually cost anywhere from 25-70 a plate unfortunately. I would personally throw $150 at the presentation but it also depends on your own finances - which I'm sure they of all people would understand.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What would you spend normally if it was an anniversary or birthday party? This sounds like it’s a big 1 year anniversary party with all their friends and family. I would say if you want to give a physical gift then go with something sentimental. If you want to stick with cash but not sure how much maybe go with enough to give them a nice dinner out together (or find out one they normally wouldn’t splurge on themselves and get a gift certificate).

I have always thought the idea of guests having to spend a certain amount on the gift really rude. You should spend what you can afford and what you want. By it definitely makes you feel a little self conscious and thinking you’ll be compared to everyone else giving cash.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics