Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
Frequent user February 2022 Quebec

What to do with my wedding dress?

Alexandra, on March 21, 2022 at 13:31 Posted in Just married 2 14
Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with your dress after your wedding? I don’t really want to keep it so I am mostly looking to either donate or sell it - I would really love if someone else could get some use out of it!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Jamie, on September 19, 2022 at 18:54
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sold my veil on fb marketplace but when i sold it, i felt a bit sad after lol so i really don't think i'll be selling my dress. i love my dress! i'm kinda thinking that i might just have it shortened at a seamstress maybe to right below the knee and i can wear it out for nice dinners or a party. i took it to the dry cleaners after the wedding, but they couldn't really get all the stains out of the bottom anyways

• Olivia
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been going through this myself right now. My veil and some wedding accessories are listed Poshmark and Once Wed. I was a covid bride so we are having our reception this summer. I initially was planning on selling my dress but after looking around and talking to people the most I would probably get is about $400. I also loved my dress so I didn't really want to part with it. I have decided to use parts of my wedding dress in alterations for my party dress for the reciption as a way to still reuse it. I plan on keeping some of the lace to hopefully pass down one day to be used in someone's bouquet or patch on to another dress. With the remaining bits of the dress, I plan on donating it to Precious Angel Gowns. It is a charity that makes dresses/outfits for families who have lost a baby.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kijiji, FB, and more marketplaces are many ways for your dress to get sold. Alternate choice are rental boutiques that will give you a fair price for the dress in which they do add to their selection for other brides to wear for their day.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd first look and see if there are consignment stores that might take it, if not, I would check local FB marketplaces but keep in mind what you are selling it for. If someone is looking second hand for a dress, they are looking for low budget, so you'll have a better chance selling if your price is low.

• Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe try Poshmark, FB marketplace and the wedding groups on facebook?

• Jenny
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen a few people giving away their wedding dresses on my local Buy Nothing group and there’s often lots of interest from local brides.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would list it on Poshmark- they take a % of the sales price as a commission but if you are looking to reach a lot of people I would start there,

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your dress is from a collection 3 years ago or younger, you can donate it to The Bride's Project in Toronto (thebridesproject dot com/). Sales of all donated dresses go to cancer charities/research locally and globally. They say it is typically $20 to toss it in the mail if you are not in Toronto.

Or, as others have stated, can look to marketplace, consignment (here in Toronto there are a few that are strictly bridal consignment), or can even try a a site like Still White...

• Stephanie
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in Ontario and there’s a number of non-profits that take donated dresses! There’s one that re-sells them and the proceeds go to cancer charities in the area, for example! if you want to go the donation route, it’d be worth looking into in your area Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try selung it on facebook marketplace and your local wedding sell/swap groups on facebook as well
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been trying to sell mine for a while on marketplace and my local FB wedding group. It's tough! I did have a local store reach out for their consignment even though so I may do that.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was planning on seeing if I can sell it on FB marketplace or local wedding buy&sell pages
  • Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you have any ideas of where you will try to sell it?
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going to sell my dress right after the wedding. Our wedding is at the beginning of "wedding season" so I'm hoping to give another bride a chance to wear it! I also got a really good deal so I'm planning on passing on the good deal!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics