Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

What papers do you need to get married in your province?

Emilie, on November 23, 2016 at 09:05 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6

Hi wonderful brides Smiley flower

We've been talking about all the fun stuff... But there's also another essential part to your wedding, paperwork! Smiley tongue

What papers do you need to get married in your province?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 8, 2018 at 22:29
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Marriage license for ontario.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In NB you both need to go to service NB before the wedding and get the licence which is good for 3 months $115, there is no waiting period so technically you could apply the day of the wedding if you wanted... NB also only allows registered NB officiants to perform the wedding... which is how we ended up with a church wedding even though we are not religious.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Need to look further into this in Quebec but I know you need a marriage license and I read that and public and noun cement needs to be made as well.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you are doing a church wedding I know you can get your license through them (ask your minister, I am not familiar with how that works). Otherwise a month or so before the wedding just head to city hall and you can pick up everything you need. Only one partner needs to go, but I do believe you need some form of ID for the other party.

For licenses picked up at city hall (in Toronto anyway) they are 140$...but can vary from city to city.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is helpful for me as I really wasn't sure what we needed for the legal parts of it! I have been busy planning the other parts of the wedding that require so much time and money!!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ontario requires a marriage license, or there is a religious option to get a license through a church (don't know the details)

The license must be witnessed by a registered officiant, and filed by the officiant. The couple can request a copy for their own records about a month later. For the marriage to be legal the witnessing officiant must witness the intent (vows) and also make the pronouncement of marriage out loud after the license is signed.

We did a LOT of early research into this, because my Future brother in law will lead our ceremony, but we of course want the marriae to be legal!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics